Alternator output - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 09:06 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Alternator output

Something I have noticed especially when it is cold outside. My alternator voltage stays at 12 volts or slightly lower when the truck is started then after as much as 3 or 4 minutes later the voltage will start to climb and settle at 14 to 15 volts. Reving the engine will make no difference. Once the engine is warm and started again this will stop. This is a 2008 truck. Is this normal or something to have looked at?
Dean E is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 09:31 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

It's normal. The glow plugs and intake heater suck a lot of power. You see the voltage return to normal when they shut off. Nothing to worry about.
JeffCoD-Max is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 09:51 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffCoD-Max View Post
It's normal. The glow plugs and intake heater suck a lot of power. You see the voltage return to normal when they shut off. Nothing to worry about.
Wow that must be alot of power to bring the alt down that much. Glad to hear that is normal. Thanks, Dean
Old 12-29-2012, 10:00 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Not sure if it's the case on the diesels or not, but my Grand Prix used to turn off the alternator when the engine RPM's were below a certain level, usually a normal idle, I believe they did this to take load off the engine at idle
Old 12-30-2012, 09:30 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by anthonyshaw View Post
Not sure if it's the case on the diesels or not, but my Grand Prix used to turn off the alternator when the engine RPM's were below a certain level, usually a normal idle, I believe they did this to take load off the engine at idle
Like I stated in the original post, reving the engine did not do anything. I believe the heater statement from the first reply, just surprised that it would that that much power to bring the alt voltage down like that. Dean
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.