Dpf help - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 03:37 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Dpf help

Hello everyone.

I have read through this forum for some time but first time poster. I am still undecided about deleting my dpf. So right now I am just trying to figure if there is a way to clean it out? ( besides the owners manual drive and let it regenerate) I commute to work 1000km every week and on my last two trips I. Got the clean exhaust filter message on my dic. I have been doing this trip for over a year now, every week and normally the truck will regen once per trip. But these last two trips have been ridiculous for fuel mileage and I have been getting this message. Any suggestions? I have been running the same fuel from same place. The only changes was before the first time I had just added some fuel injector cleaner . And during my last fuel filter change ( which was just before my first trip with the message) I found or maybe I broke a wire on the water in fuel sensor on the bottom of the filter and have not picked up a new sensor yet.

Mostly stock except for banks ram air intake
737ame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-29-2012, 03:43 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

From what I've read elsewhere, you're going to need a dealer to service the DPF, or replace it.

My personal recommendation would be to just delete it and pick up the mileage gain. I gained 5mpg easily while still romping on it because of the exhaust tone. I ended up deleting from the downpipe back and replacing with a 4" MBRP no muffler exhaust, it was only a few bucks more than a delete pipe for the whole thing
Old 12-29-2012, 04:31 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

It is normal for the DpF to self clean, I think it's every 500 miles..you need to keep constant over 1500 rpm for 30 minutes to clean it.

I run some white diesel Kleen all the time in mine and seems to help somewhat with fuel mileage. Also tire size has an impact on fuel economy as well as try and keep it below 1700 RPM.

Hope it helps!
Old 12-29-2012, 04:42 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

read this link and tell me you want to wait till 100k to do your mods.

http://www.amsoil.com/techservicesbu...l_Dilution.pdf

And I am not an amsoil guy but this was my thinking to why I did my mods way before warranty. Yes you take the chance a wheel bearing goes out ect within 100k but I am sure the engine will last that long then after the warranty is up and after 100k of this going on with possible increased wear you mod. I would take the chance and mod as soon as possible. I do not race my truck or abuse it. Every mod I have done to this truck is to improve on GM's truck. I made it better IMO not faster. I added an exhaust for EGT's fuel dilution ect. I added a lift pump not for big HP in the future but to save the injection system ect. I daily drive this truck and wash/wax every weekend. It is babied so bad it is scary. Yes the better exhaust sound is nice and the turbo whistle is cool but not the real resons I did these mods.

If you beat your truck daily do not mod as the chances of needing warranty repair is bigger but if you plan on taking care of it and keeping it for a long time start eliminating the BS government emmisions crap that is hurting your trucks longevity
Kennedy Twin lift pump with filter setup.
03 BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:03 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Husker Diesel Pimp

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737ame View Post
Hello everyone.

I have read through this forum for some time but first time poster. I am still undecided about deleting my dpf. So right now I am just trying to figure if there is a way to clean it out? ( besides the owners manual drive and let it regenerate) I commute to work 1000km every week and on my last two trips I. Got the clean exhaust filter message on my dic. I have been doing this trip for over a year now, every week and normally the truck will regen once per trip. But these last two trips have been ridiculous for fuel mileage and I have been getting this message. Any suggestions? I have been running the same fuel from same place. The only changes was before the first time I had just added some fuel injector cleaner . And during my last fuel filter change ( which was just before my first trip with the message) I found or maybe I broke a wire on the water in fuel sensor on the bottom of the filter and have not picked up a new sensor yet.

If you go into a dealer, and talk to one of the techs, they can do a forced regen with the Tech 2. Will this help? Maybe. Will you be able to convince them to do this? eh maybe. But its about the only thing you can do to try and improve the DPF performance. Just a piece of information for ya... GM will charge you close to $2000 for a new DPF if they deem it out of warranty for some reason. You can delete the DPF with a quadzilla tuner and 4" exhaust for a bit over $600, and will get quite a bit better fuel mileage as well.

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:03 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

i am actually out of warranty anyways. Warranty is not the reasons for not dpf deleting yet. I am not at all into big horse power or rolling coal. I just want a dependable daily driver that has a great power train so when i need to tow my family travel trailer across the country ( 11,000 lbs) . I would love the fuel mileage gains but could really due with out any change in exhaust noise or dependability issues

Mostly stock except for banks ram air intake
737ame is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:22 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
Super Moderator

The WIF sensor at the base of the fuel filter rarely works as designed-- and if the wire is off, it will not trigger any codes, in fact the system will never know.
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, de-badged, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 05:48 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 737ame View Post
i am actually out of warranty anyways. Warranty is not the reasons for not dpf deleting yet. I am not at all into big horse power or rolling coal. I just want a dependable daily driver that has a great power train so when i need to tow my family travel trailer across the country ( 11,000 lbs) . I would love the fuel mileage gains but could really due with out any change in exhaust noise or dependability issues
Dependable daily driver and tow rig with DPF is an oxymoron.
Kennedy Twin lift pump with filter setup.
03 BUSA is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 06:41 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I would delete the dpf system get a 4" or 5" exhaust with downpipe, gauges, and great EFI Live tuning from ATP.
Adrenaline Truck Performance http://www.atptrucks.com
http://www.alligatorperformance.com
Kbaerg is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-29-2012, 08:04 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

I still have my DPF in place and average about 20mpg with a truck with over 454,000 miles. I think if you go to a Dealer they are gonna tell you to put back in the stock air filter. Its weird I ran into a similar problem with shorter miles between regens. The dealer blamed it on a K&N airfilter cause the MAF sensor to go scew. What makes it even weirder is I had that brand filter in the truck for over 300k miles. Put the stock air filter back in mile between regens went back up. Change back to the K&N back down. Stock back in back up. I do believe the LMM is programed to clean out the DPF every 400 miles reguardless of soot level.
50% towing miles, Bridgestone Duravis R500 Tires,Counteract balancing beads, Rancho 9000 shocks, 89 Gallon RDS in box tank, 1 ton rear leaf springs, Curt 20k Fifth Wheel, Curt 18K Rear Mount hitch, Firestone ride-rite air bags, NUC Motorsports Bypass oil Filtration, Edge Insight CTS, Fass 95HD

2013 LT CC & Chassis with 9' Hillsboro Aluminum flatbed
chevor-2010-gmc-2500-maintenance-log
Quest for Ultimate Hotshot Truck
chevor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.