cold weather and tranny temp - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2012, 08:54 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

cold weather and tranny temp

got a built tranny this summer and all has been good till it got cold. now every morning when I start it I have to wait damn near 15-20 mins for the tranny temp to reach 50 degrees and for it actually go into gear and move. is this just part of having a suncoast? even get solenoid codes every once in awhile while its sitting there...clear them out and then it runs fine. not sure what to think
2007.5 lmm - DPF DELETE - SUNCOAST GMAX 6 - ML TRIPLE DISC CONVERTER - EFI LIVE BY TODD WARREN@DIAMONDBACK PERFORMANCE - ADII 165 - EDGE INSIGHT - 4in STRAIGHT PIPE - 6in RCD LIFT - 35" TOYO MTS - 18" XD BADLANDS - PVC REROUTE - RESONATOR PLUGGED - S&B CAI - 5 & 6k HIDs - RANCH HAND FRONT END & REAR END - CUSTOM HEADACHE RACK - PIONEER HEAD UNIT - JL SUBS - EGR BLOCKED OFF - MORE TO COME
Luke0872 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-30-2012, 07:59 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke0872 View Post
got a built tranny this summer and all has been good till it got cold. now every morning when I start it I have to wait damn near 15-20 mins for the tranny temp to reach 50 degrees and for it actually go into gear and move. is this just part of having a suncoast? even get solenoid codes every once in awhile while its sitting there...clear them out and then it runs fine. not sure what to think
i cany say much about the suncoast trannys i have never owned one but i will tell you the other day on my allison it was -11 outside and when i started the truck it took my tranny about 15 min to get to 75 degrees and that was with my truck on elevated idle, i dont no if this helps hopefully someone will chime in. have yuou thought about shooting suncoast a call?

1987 Chevy k10, 383 stroker, locked up front and rear.90% restored
m1000snopro is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 03:20 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luke0872 View Post
What fluid is in it?

When was it and the filter changed last?

BTW, it's definitely NOT normal that your truck won't drive until 50F !!
--CC, SB 4X4 Duramax Diesel/ 6 spd Allison Auto (PTO high idle mod)
--EFILive by KB3MMX Tuning W/ SDP Towing Twins (Billet S475 over Stock)
--SILVERLINE 4" Stainless Exhaust
--AMSOIL Synthetics and filtration bumper to bumper, including Bypass
--DDM tuning HID's in Low and High Beams, 6000K Lows/4250K Highs
--PPE rear Diff cover, PPE Deep Trans Pan, PPE High Flow Manifolds and Up Pipes
--Danville 3" Y Bridge and big air intake kit / EGR delete
--Airdog II DF200 w/ CAT UHE filter upgrade...etc,etc...
KB3MMX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-31-2012, 04:03 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

My Allison will go no matter how cold. It'll shift slow when it's ice cold but that's it

2011 Sierra 2500HD CCSB LML (Buisness vehicle) - 4" Fabtec w/ DirtLogics, 35" micky Thompsons, 20" fuel boost rims - color matched cut out style
DieselLuver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 09:29 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Running amsoil in it. Filter hasn't been changed in about 10k miles. It's only in the 20-30s outside too so I'm really wondering what's going on!

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app
2007.5 lmm - DPF DELETE - SUNCOAST GMAX 6 - ML TRIPLE DISC CONVERTER - EFI LIVE BY TODD WARREN@DIAMONDBACK PERFORMANCE - ADII 165 - EDGE INSIGHT - 4in STRAIGHT PIPE - 6in RCD LIFT - 35" TOYO MTS - 18" XD BADLANDS - PVC REROUTE - RESONATOR PLUGGED - S&B CAI - 5 & 6k HIDs - RANCH HAND FRONT END & REAR END - CUSTOM HEADACHE RACK - PIONEER HEAD UNIT - JL SUBS - EGR BLOCKED OFF - MORE TO COME
Luke0872 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:37 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I would say that there is an issue in the trans- like above, mine will move after running for a few minutes in -20F. Shifts goofy, etc. till warmed up, but no codes, etc. I would contact who built it for you and see what they say.... Especially since you are running syn fluid, 20F is nothing for that to handle...
'05 CC/SB, AMSOIL 15w-40 (From Synthetic Motorsports), Cold Air Intake with a dry Nanofiber filter from AMSOIL, PPE Tuner level 1, EGR blocked, LBZ MP, lost KITTY, finished off the rest with 4" SS Magnaflow, Amsoil Torque Drive, 5K HID's, General Grabbers 265 :rockin

Synthetic Motorsports
K9Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-03-2013, 08:48 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Mine will still shift ok when its -40 up here it just takes forever to warm up fully. I dont think your problem is weather related.
05 LLY CCSB, AFE Stage 2 CAI, AFE turbo MP, PCV reroute, blocked+fingerstick, shimmed, sleeved, resonator delete, Juice+attitude, Edge Insight, MBRP downpipe, Flo-Pro 4" straight pipe, built tranny and transfer case, water meth, fass titanium 150, Cognito UCA's + ptiman and idler kit, 18"s and 33" Terra Grapplers.

Next: Traction bars and EFI live
Dermax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-07-2013, 07:40 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

Trans wont go

You could have a suction leak at the pickup tube in the trans only happnes when its cold enough for the seal to contract at the pickup tube when its cold or you have an electrical problem with one of the solenoids in the trans. My allison starts working at any temp up here. Stuck in Ohio.
gearhead 730 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.