Y-bridge - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-23-2013, 03:23 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Y-bridge

roughly how long does it take to remove the Y-bridge and are there any special tricks to getting it out like some fancy rubber ratchet or anything? I did my FPR and while I was in there I didnt really take a look to see how bad it would be. I bought the All Season EGR delete with Y-bridge and Im thinking of diving in on Friday.
Advertisement

Old 01-23-2013, 03:51 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

If youve never done this before it can deff be time consuming. By the 3rd time i finally replaced mine with a profab kit but i also had my turbo out at the same time so it took a little less time cause there was more room for your hands. Mines an 07 lbz so its a little diff but not to much, i ended up tapeing two 10mm wrenchs together and flattening out the closed end to get the front two and i also made all the bottoms studs and used a magnet to get the nuts on them. Seemed to be alot easier. Just take your time and youll be alright. Id say close to 4 hours or so if i remember??

EFI live by BOBO, Mbrp 4 inch dual exhaust,Suncoast gmax 5-3 with ml cont, S366 billet wheeled turbo, and some cool interior stuff with some cool additional exterior stuff

0IF II AND III
OEF VETERAN
WHEN IN DOUBT DROP A JDAM
:rockin

12.6 @ 108 was fun while it lasted, Sold Aug 2013 no longer a Duramax owner
polaris7x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-23-2013, 05:49 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

I believe it took me around three hours to get mine in there. Not bad, just time consuming. You can help yourself out alot by starting the 4 nuts on bottom studs before you drop the y bridge in. With having the egr cooler out of the way, I was able to get get a wrench and my hand in from the back passenger side, next to the turbo. But now I just saw you have a 2008 so may be a little different. Nevertheless, good luck and have fun.
All Season EGR delete Y bridge. ASD intercooler pipes
PCV re-route. LBZ mp. Nicktane Cat filter adapter
S&B dry filter cai. 5" MBRP dp back exhaust
Pillar gauges and Edge CTS.
EFI Live by Kory Willis, thanks to Willie at
Synthetic Motorsports.
Stock trans for now.
klkgmc2500hd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 07:57 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I know the FPR wasnt a whole lot of fun, the biggest pain there was getting the intake elbow back into the Y-bridge, I probably spent over an hour alone on that.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:37 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Its a pain. I had to loosen my turbo and tilt it back to get my y-bridge out. To loosen the turbo bolts I used a swivel socket. I believe its 17mm

Good luck.
Tonneau cover
More to come one day!

2013 GMC 2500HD Denali CCSB
JoeGorby is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-24-2013, 12:18 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

At least I have access to a full auto shop and everything in it, I should be able to figure this out.
Old 01-28-2013, 08:16 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Well, I got it done, took most of the afternoon at the shop. There is one bolt that does not clear the turbo so I ended up cutting the head off and backing the rest out with pliers, I replaced it with an allen head capscrew that would clear. Other than that, all the fuel and coolant lines in the valley need to be disconnected and swung out of the way. I would not do this in your garage unless you have a lot of tools. I was in a full auto shop and still had to get creative a few times.
Old 02-01-2013, 11:33 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Good to know
Old 04-16-2013, 08:05 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

What kind of tools we talkin? Gonna do twins either keeping the stock unit or replacing it but either way the stock is coming out to get cleaned if i keep it.
Tunes by Kory, Trans by ME
Minerigger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-17-2013, 07:14 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

A good set of flex wreches and a large array of socket in the 10-15mm range in 1/4-1/2" drive, some various screw drivers, and if the EGR is coming out, a 5' pry bar some wood a case of beer, box of bandaids and a good buddy to hold you back so you dont take the bar to the headlights. Those up-pipe bolts are very stubborn and you dont have much room to move.
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.