What can I expect from an '08 Duramax - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2007, 08:22 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
iCe

What can I expect from an '08 Duramax

What can I expect from an '08 Duramax? I have one on order. It should be here in late June or early July (unless the dealer lied) .

The last diesel pickup that I owned was a '95 Powerstroke. I bought it new and ran it through 2001. I loved that truck... This will be my first Chevy truck product. I've always been a Ford man except for my '69 Camaro (that I wish I still had). I drive an F250 Superduty 4WD at work and the ride is so pitiful that I decided to move to a Chevy product.

Unfortunately I am buying my first Duramax the same year that they decide to put emission crappage on Diesels...
Advertisement

Old 06-10-2007, 10:50 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

Emissions crap has been on the duramax since 2001, when they first came out. Its just now with the LMM there is tons of crap that will be hard to by-pass.

I have heard it all from a 400hp twin turbo to an 8 speed allison. Its all bs right now. I mean heck the Lmm just came out a month ago.

It should be interesting

4" MBRP Turbo back with cat delete and 5" tip, EGR blocker plate and finger stick, Autometer Cobalt pyro and boost gauges, EFIlive, Ranchhand grill guard, 285 75 R16's, All head lights on mod.
Silverado_LBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2007, 12:08 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
Administrator

IIRC the emissions stuff didn't start until the LLY for federal emissions. I don't know for sure about california emissions....I know that the LB7 did have some emissions stuff on it for california, but I don't know what year it started. Just give it time and the aftermarket will be able to bypass all that stuff. Just hope that you're not in a state that requires an inspection. I know for the LMM, I don't like the location of exhaust exit....almost straight out the back. Only time will tell with the new engine. I have heard that it runs real strong, but I haven't drove any.....I don't exactly like the new body style....I guess it will have to grow on me like the past changes.
TST Powermax Programmer, Diablosport Predator
305/70-16 BFG T/A KOs on Eagle Alloys Series 187
Clifford remote start. High Idle, Bilstein 5100s, 1.5" lift blocks
CAT fuel filter w/ nicktane adapter
Magnum Force Stage 2 intake with AMSOIL filter
Racor 2 Micron pre-OEM with heater & water sep
Lightforce 140s from Madjackracing
http://WWW.ATPTRUCKS.COM/
ob_1jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2007, 12:13 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

yeah the LB7's have the EGR tho right? And some of the mexi-fornia trucks have cats. It really started with the LLY your correct.

I have yet to drive an LMM also but its what 5 more hp than the LBZ? miuns the stupid re-gen mode I personally think the 02 LB7 and the 06 LBZ are the best trucks.

ditto, the new body style looks like >> :moon

4" MBRP Turbo back with cat delete and 5" tip, EGR blocker plate and finger stick, Autometer Cobalt pyro and boost gauges, EFIlive, Ranchhand grill guard, 285 75 R16's, All head lights on mod.
Silverado_LBZ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2007, 07:01 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Administrator

I don't think my truck has EGR (it is federal emissions)....I bet the the california emissions does though. I could be wrong.
TST Powermax Programmer, Diablosport Predator
305/70-16 BFG T/A KOs on Eagle Alloys Series 187
Clifford remote start. High Idle, Bilstein 5100s, 1.5" lift blocks
CAT fuel filter w/ nicktane adapter
Magnum Force Stage 2 intake with AMSOIL filter
Racor 2 Micron pre-OEM with heater & water sep
Lightforce 140s from Madjackracing
http://WWW.ATPTRUCKS.COM/
ob_1jr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2007, 09:12 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

I heard the new powerstrokes with emissions were only gettin 9MPG and up to 13MPG once more broke-in. I assume the chevs are better?
- MBRP 4" Turboback exhaust
- Trailmaster 6" lift
- BFG Mudterrain35's
- Halo 16" rims
Steveo10 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2007, 09:49 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
iCe

Dang... I need to bone up on my acronyms...

Thanks for the replies... since I've been a Ford person all of my life I'm ambivalent on the looks of the new body. Mines a Texas truck or at least it will be when it gets here and I live in the country so no emissions inspections... yet...
Old 09-13-2007, 10:01 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

The 08 Model Year Duramax is mainly a carry over, 365 hp, 900 N-m torque. There are some material and calibration enhancements, but they are transparent to the end user. Changes may slightly increase fuel economy for some people. There is no such thing as a typical Duramax driver, the applications vary too much.
DuramaxGuy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 09-13-2007, 03:06 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
iCe

Cool. Thanks for the info. Mine finally came in about 2 weeks ago. As I was driving home I wished that I had packed a bag so I could just keep driving.

Dislikes:
It pulls hard to 95mph and then speed no longer increases
Nothing else that I can think of.
Old 09-13-2007, 07:25 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
Oh...... Squirrel!

Quote:
Originally Posted by iCe View Post
Dislikes:
It pulls hard to 95mph and then speed no longer increases
Nothing else that I can think of.
Thats where fuel shut off kicks in. I only had mine kick in once.

If your unhappy with that then you can remove the limiter with any decent programmer.... But I cant see a need to do 95+
Exterior: Escalade Handles, Front windows tinted to match the rear, painted bumpers & mirrors, billet grille, 305/50/20 Cooper Zeons on BMF Novakanes Death Metal, Cognito Braces, Stainless Sleeves, Train Horns
Interior: 4 Kicker 10in Subs in 2 custom box's, Autometer Ultra lite II Pyro and Boost gauges, Aeroforce Interceptor Gauge, HID Lows & Fogs, Painted accents
Performance: EFI Live Tuned by Blackout Performance, Custom Blackout Performance S475 over stock twins, 45 over stock injectors, MBRP Turbo Back Stainless Exhaust (Straight piped), Raptor Lift Pump, AFE Filter, GMAX6 kit with Suncoast 1057 converter installed by Blackout Performance
1999 Ford F-550 PowerStroke ''Wrecker'' **Jerrdan bed, S&B Intake
Tow Master is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.