Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Oil Pressure

3K views 13 replies 6 participants last post by  KB3MMX 
#1 ·
Hello folks I know it says only post if not running or wont start but I believe this is a 911 situation.....I noticed a oil leak from the oil pump, or what I think is the oil pump, lol...earlier today. Now the oil pressure goes to zero and it says no oil pressure on the dash, if you give it a little gas the oil pressure will jump back up, but isn't staying......its a 2008 3500HD chassis and cab wrecker with 6.6 Allison trans 230k any feedback would be greatly appreciated thankl you

#2 ·
Probably not the oil pump because that's in the oil pan you can't see it , more likely the oil pressure sending unit!

#4 ·
Why do folks on these forums, and not just this one, but all, like to point out something that has nothing to do with the issue at hand, just the mistakes they find in the post.....how about posting something constructive, I mean that is why these forums are here and people post on them.....a solution. Now if you are correcting because it has to do with a solution or part of the solution then by all means it is necessary, make the correction. If not don't reply or respond to a thread, unless you just like patting yourself on the back for all the knowledge you have flowing out of you cranium. be careful not to break your arm patting yourself on the back inferior man! The simple reason I really don't use them and figured I would give it a try. I will be cancelling this one as well I see.

#5 ·
The oil pump is at the front of the crank, I take it the oil level is full, and there is no damage in that area. it could be the sender is faulty, I would remove it and put in a manual guage as a test it is by the oil filter.
Just a thought!

#6 ·
The oil pump is not like a Gas unit it is on the front of the crank outside.

#9 ·
Thank you sir, I appreciate your help. I have an extra one on the shelf so Im fixin to throw it in right now. Another question for you, one of my drivers changed the fuel filter last Friday and a day after he changed it, he said it started smoking really bad, I assumed a air pocket possibly and needs to be re primed probably. Well instead doing that he went and got another fuel filter and put on it and now it is smoking so bad I'm told that a city police pulled him over and said he was going to give a ticket for emission's pollution because it was smoking so bad. I assume that it still has a priming issue but, I have no experience with Duramax's or very very little, I just know that smoke on diesels most the time, so Im told is fuel related. Any thoughts??

#14 · (Edited)
Also make sure that your employees don't pre fill the fuel filter before install.... that can equal injector death for a common rail.

#10 ·
I spent an hour looking in the 4 manual set, to be sure the oil pump was not in the oil pan, not wanting him to waist a lot of money pulling the pan, when it is something else. We all learn from mistakes made, hopfully we learn from other peoples mistakes, it is a lot cheaper that way!
The fuel systeem must be blead to get the air out I have an LMM it is easy remove the brass screw on the filter head and pump the round tin pump till the fuel comes out install the screw with the new "O" ring and give the pump a few extra pumps, till it is hard, DONE.
Just a thought!

#12 ·
Sorry my bad about oil pump thanks for correcting me Johnp33.

#13 ·
They put erasers on everyone's pencils.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.