Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Metallic sound over bumps on the Hwy

1K views 9 replies 3 participants last post by  jonblarc7 
#1 ·
When I'm at high way speed and I hit a bump over a bridge or something I here a metallic grinding sound in the front drivers side of the truck as it bounces over the bump. Also hear it sometimes alittle stronger as round a turn to the right on the Hwy. So I thought it was a wheel bearing so I jack up the front and shook the tire top and bottom to see if it had any play and I couldn't feel any. I did notice the wheel would spin freely then have a small catch every turn where it was harder to spin it around. Do you still think its a wheel bear or cv axle or something else.

#3 ·
Brake calipers loose? Warped rotor?

#4 ·
They are alittle warped but would it make a sound all the time not just after a big bump?

Calipers is one of my to do projects

#5 ·
If the calipers are worn enough on the slide they will be sloppy. Hitting a bump may cause them to move just enough to catch the rotor or at least that is my thought. Something has to be moving and catching.

#7 ·
im betting you have a worn out wheel bearing. jack that side of the truck up where the wheel is off the ground. grab the tire at the top and bottom and try to move it back and forth. if it moves at all...its time for a wheel bearing

#9 ·
Are you positive its on the drivers side? i would check both sides just to be sure

#10 ·
I didn't check the other side so I'll give it a try. But it seems to do it more when I'm rounding a bend to the right.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.