Shift Inhibitor Message - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-07-2008, 11:02 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Shift Inhibitor Message

With regard to the shift inhibitor message, has anyone experienced this..Tonight I did and i had to shift to neutral and then back to drive to correct.. Any idea of to whats this about?? Thanks

New Member First post
Textech21
textech21 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-08-2008, 01:53 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

i had this same message happen to me last week and i have no idea what it is either. i put it in reverse and it took me out of gear and popped up that message. anyone know?? its that first time its happened.
Homemade 5 inch "shorty" stack, Kennedy boost valve, Autometer Phantom II Boost and Pyro gauges, 35's on all black Ultra Goliaths, front end leveled, 2% tint, SD tierod sleeves, 2 Kicker CVT 10's w/ Sony amp, 10,000k HID headlights, blacked out taillights and brake light, spray on bedliner on front end
duramaxiskilinit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 07:36 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

"Range Shift Inhibited" messages usually means that the 'Neutral Safety Switch" is getting a spuratic signal. Your shift cable feeds into this switch on the drivers side of the transmission which electronically and physically tells the transmission which gear you have selected. Most likely the electrical is your issue and is a common issue with the Allison transmission and most likely will throw a P0708. Is it throwing any codes?

New motor in the works as we speak with lots of goodies!!!
BryanVilaubi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-08-2008, 11:48 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

mine didn't throw any codes.
Homemade 5 inch "shorty" stack, Kennedy boost valve, Autometer Phantom II Boost and Pyro gauges, 35's on all black Ultra Goliaths, front end leveled, 2% tint, SD tierod sleeves, 2 Kicker CVT 10's w/ Sony amp, 10,000k HID headlights, blacked out taillights and brake light, spray on bedliner on front end
duramaxiskilinit is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-09-2008, 04:16 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
Save Water, Drink Beer
Supporting Member

I have had this problem twice and both times it happened after I had been Power braking in the Dirt. No codes and no known problems since.

Full Bore Exhaust Manifold compliments of BD Diesel.

1987 Corvette

Crazy Larry. Get it Here.
http://www.mediafire.com/?g3mtmmjogkz
Landscapeman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-17-2010, 10:19 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanVilaubi View Post
"Range Shift Inhibited" messages usually means that the 'Neutral Safety Switch" is getting a spuratic signal. Your shift cable feeds into this switch on the drivers side of the transmission which electronically and physically tells the transmission which gear you have selected. Most likely the electrical is your issue and is a common issue with the Allison transmission and most likely will throw a P0708. Is it throwing any codes?
I got this message tonight, wouldn't let me get into any gear except Park., I called my son to tow me home and told him to bring the code reader. I read the following codes (P0700 & P0708) I cleared them and started the truck and it ran without any problems!
samclan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 01-22-2014, 04:11 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

i have a 2003 chevy c5500 has the p0708 code comes on after 500 ft of driving already replaced the nsbu anyone have a idea on where to go next
lovells308 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-09-2014, 07:53 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

I was out beatin and all of a sudden my truck popped out of gear and that message came up and I couldn't get it to go into drive or reverse...it eventually picked a gear but all the way home I was stuck in 3rd gear never shifted up or down..do I just need to clear a code?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.