Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Shift Inhibitor Message

17K views 7 replies 7 participants last post by  5InchDmax 
#1 ·
With regard to the shift inhibitor message, has anyone experienced this..Tonight I did and i had to shift to neutral and then back to drive to correct.. Any idea of to whats this about?? Thanks

New Member First post
Textech21

#2 ·
i had this same message happen to me last week and i have no idea what it is either. i put it in reverse and it took me out of gear and popped up that message. anyone know?? its that first time its happened.

#3 ·
"Range Shift Inhibited" messages usually means that the 'Neutral Safety Switch" is getting a spuratic signal. Your shift cable feeds into this switch on the drivers side of the transmission which electronically and physically tells the transmission which gear you have selected. Most likely the electrical is your issue and is a common issue with the Allison transmission and most likely will throw a P0708. Is it throwing any codes?

#6 ·
I got this message tonight, wouldn't let me get into any gear except Park., I called my son to tow me home and told him to bring the code reader. I read the following codes (P0700 & P0708) I cleared them and started the truck and it ran without any problems! :)

#4 ·
mine didn't throw any codes.

#5 ·
I have had this problem twice and both times it happened after I had been Power braking in the Dirt. No codes and no known problems since.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.