Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

DPF issues....

3K views 17 replies 8 participants last post by  Heavy Duty 
#1 ·
I'm new to the duramax world and just bought a LMM with the dpf removed. I knew going to get it that the check engine light was on, and that it had 4" exhaust with the dpf removed already.

Anyway, at first it was fine driving it home, and about 100 miles in, I got "engine power reduced" and it was basically a sled. If I stopped, shut it off and then back on and took off, good to go for a few miles.

Well, I got it to the dealer, they pulled the codes and the three were:

Exhaust temp bank 1
Exhaust temp bank 1 sensor 2
DPF regen

Obviously the dpf isn't there and both sensors aren't either. So it's looking for that signal that isn't there.

I need to run the dpf delete and I want to run a tune. I called a local shop (Merchant) and was told that they could put the efi live with dsb5 on my dash. While that would solve the issue, I was really hoping that I could find a programmer with a display I could mount on the dash that would allow for tunes as well as the dpf delete......

For the LMM, are there any out there? I was told that edge would work, but the full package is like $2K. The EFI with DSB from Merchant is $600...so for a display I'm looking over three times the cost???

I've done a ton of research but can't find anything out there with the dpf delete, multiple tunes and a display to monitor (egt and boost are what I'm really after).

See less See more
#3 ·
so you have a dpf delete without a tuner?

#5 ·
I physically don't have the dpf in the vehicle and/or the temp sensors.... That should explain it better.

Without the dpf, and no time, the truck goes into reduced engine power mode constantly. So I need a tuner with dpf delete. I think I'm going to just have merchant put their deal in and maybe I'll run gauges or something.

#6 ·
Moved to LMM --

#7 ·
Get EFI tunes on a DSP5 switch and an EDGE CTS display with EGT probe for your gauges . It also reads codes and balance rates and some other cool stuff too.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#8 ·
However, as far as I know you can't switch tunes on a LMM with the edge that's only on previous years models

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 ·
someone correct me if I'm wrong but driving a deleted truck without a delete tune is really bad because the truck tries to regen all the time. Also go EFI anything else will cost more money when you realize you want EFI anyways. in my opinion go with either rob at atptrucks.com or kory willis at ppei. Those are the only 2 i would go with, for gauges just get a dual pod with egt and boost its cheaper than buying a CTS, unless you want the screen then go for it. I wouldn't drive the truck anymore until you get DSP5 installed.

#13 ·
Nice, that was quick where from? Good to hear though

#15 ·
I would go have a little talk with that dealer myself...... thats just me.
They basically sold you a non functioning truck. Thats overlooking the fact that they sold you a vehicle with illegally modified emissions equipment. Which (although BS) is a federal offense, then they just passed it along to you without saying anything. It would be different if the truck was %100 functional when you got it.

#16 ·
I brought the truck to the Chevy dealer to have it inspected, as soon as I got back. The dealership I bought it from paid that tab. Monday it was done there, I picked it up Tuesday morning and dropped it off at Merchant Tuesday morning. Merchant called about 3 hours later to tell me it was done. I got the EFI live with a dsp5 switch. I picked it up Tuesday night from them and drove it home, leaving my Jeep there. Anyway, it drives great. 5 on the switch is stupid power, which is fun at times, but you have to be careful not to force the downshift or bye bye Allison.

Anyway, I paid for the tune, but the dealer that sold it to me has since paid me back. At first I was pissed because I just paid a Kings ransom for this thing and it didn't go smoothly. However, having now gotten it fixed and the dealer covering the whole tab, I look back and realize that they were a mom and pop shop without a service department. They really didn't know what they were doing, and basically sold me the truck without really knowing what was going on. The fact that they took responsibility and covered the tab to make it right speaks volumes to me.

Anyway, now it's on to a 7" lift with 20's and tires and in dash DVD/SAT/BT/NAV with headrest monitors for my daughter :).

#18 ·
Awesome. Glad to hear it worked out for you, and it is nice to hear the dealer took care of this!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.