Clean Exhaust Filter See Owners Manual now - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2010, 11:07 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Clean Exhaust Filter See Owners Manual now

How do I clean the thing? I'm currently in reduced power mode as well.

Will putting it in manual 1st or 2nd and driving for 5 miles work?

Thx for any input.

-Tom
thenrich is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2010, 11:11 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Yes !! I've heard you leave it in the lower gears to clean it out while in limp mode

2007.5 D-MAX, EDGE DIGITAL GAUGES, QUADZILLA WITH DPF DELETE, TUNED AT 90HP NO MORE NO LESS, STRAIGHT PIPED, 17" CHROME SHAKER RIMS WITH 285 70 17 BFG KM2 MUD TERRAIN TIRES, AIR BOX MODIFIED,BUSHWACKER BED CAPS, RECON SMOKED LOW PROFILE CAB LIGHTS

rap2orrider660R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 11:19 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Is there a certain RPM I'm looking to maintain?
Old 08-09-2010, 11:27 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
saw what you did there
Lifetime Supporting Member

http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/91...st-filter.html
6K Lows, 3K Fogs, Tint.
CLICK BEFORE YOU POST!

theunderlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-09-2010, 11:52 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thenrich View Post
How do I clean the thing?
A dpf delete package from one of the vendors is a good alternative to cleaning the filter.
Old 08-09-2010, 11:55 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

A transient condition in the middle of a normal regeneration cycle can cause this to happen.

The ECM is programmed to inhibit or stop a normal DPF regeneration if there are any other codes that cause a MIL. This will cause the Clean Exhaust Filter See Owner’s Manual Now alarm and drop you into reduced power mode. I have had this happen with a MAF Sensor error in the middle of a normal regeneration cycle while towing in the middle of a torrential rain storm.

It takes an excessive amount of idling to plug your DPF. It is really hard to get the DPF load up that bad under normal driving conditions. If you don’t have a MIL, and if powering down for a minute and then restarting does not clear it, the simplest fix is to force a MANUAL REGENERATION. You need a scanner to do that, or have the dealer do it for you with their TECH-II. A scanner can also tell you if this is what actually happened by looking at the Miles since Last Regen and the Soot Load in grams with the scanner.

Once a MANUAL REGEN is initiated the engine will run at 2000-2200 RPM for about 15 minutes and will drink about a gallon of fuel. Be sure that your hood is open to keep your engine cool and that your AC is either off, or on re-circulate. A manual Regen while parked can really stink up the inside of your truck
Reese "Tow Beast" Class V Receiver
Rhino Bed Liner (Not recommended)
AMSOIL Remote Bypass with Precharger and FilterMag
PCV Reroute
Mag-Hytec Differential Cover and Deep Transmission Pan
15.1 Calculated Average MPG (empty)
SS Brake Lines
Rancho RS9000XL Shocks
Heated Washer Fluid by Alpha Therm
GMC4Me is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 05:25 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

ok I have an update:

I tried the 1st and 2nd gear thing. Didn't matter the gear - always topped out at about 2300 rpm. Either way didn't work nor did I sense a regen had occured. Took the truck to the dealer they couldn't make a regen fire with their scanner either which indicated to them that the dpf is bad.

They said GM would cover the expense - which is quite costly but that there are only 3 replacement dpf's in the country right now so it would be a few days before I get my rig back.
Old 08-11-2010, 06:06 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Man !! That bites !!... Thats why a lot of guys are doing the DPF delete option. But if you have the warrenty that you would rather not give up, I can see that too !!

2007.5 D-MAX, EDGE DIGITAL GAUGES, QUADZILLA WITH DPF DELETE, TUNED AT 90HP NO MORE NO LESS, STRAIGHT PIPED, 17" CHROME SHAKER RIMS WITH 285 70 17 BFG KM2 MUD TERRAIN TIRES, AIR BOX MODIFIED,BUSHWACKER BED CAPS, RECON SMOKED LOW PROFILE CAB LIGHTS

rap2orrider660R is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 08-11-2010, 07:29 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I would love to do the DPF delete - I even called a shop about it. It's $1500 the same price as the replacement of the DPF. The diff is GM is paying the for the DPF replacment. I found it ironic that both cost were identical. The DPF delete kit covered the cost of the pipe, edge tuner and installation.

Now if I was in a situation where GM was NOT covering the cost - that's the direction I would go. But for now $1500 bucks is $1500 bucks.
Old 08-11-2010, 07:33 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
oh yaaaaaaaaaa

cheaper than 1500!! unless you are getting stainless exhaust..glad you got it fixed tho
EFI Live, AFE hot/cold intercooler tubes, SDP EGR delete,5" MBRP straight pipe, 3" Diamondeye Downpipe, Bills custom intake, AFE turbo mouthpiece, Edge CTS Insight, Recon taillights, cab lights, and tailgate light bar, 8000K HID's, PacBrake Air bags, 06 grille, Reflexxion Cowl hood, Pioneer 3100 double din,
Click picture to be redirected to Meyerperformance.com
Price match Guarantee!
kman2468 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.