Fuel Gelling?? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 06:15 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Fuel Gelling??

New to diesels. I know the fuel can gel at low ambient temps. About what temp does this occur? What is the effect on the engine? And how can you tell if your problem is due to fuel gelling?
What keeps the "Ice Road Truckers" from gelling? Fuel additives, some sort of fuel heaters?
Bill T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-09-2010, 06:38 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

dont really know what temperature it happens at but i throw a splash of additive if its cold (days when its about a high of 30F, and goes into the teens at night) when i fill up.

Heard from a decent amount of truckers that Howes diesel additive is the best.
Studs
AD 165
Zone 6"/35s
DIESELbowhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 06:39 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

you can buy anti gelling and cold treatment additives for your diesel to use every tank
Winter Additive
my "build" thread
Raptor color match thread
ATP Trucks
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 06:47 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Banned

The northern states have a winter blend of diesel that is gel resistant down to like -20f I want to say.
2009RavenR1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 06:49 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Gelling can start as high as 20. Most colder climate areas will either have a winter blend like 1/3 No 2 diesel 2/3 No 1 diesel or similar and will be displayed on pumps or will have #1 diesel and #2 diesel pumps so you can blend your own(also displayed on pumps). I use #2 primarily in winter and double that recommended rate of Stanadyne or good anti gel additive until it gets into sub zero continuous temperatures before I add #1 with additive. With winter blend of #1 and #2 you will get less fuel economy. Additive does not reduce economy. I use additive from time we start seeing 50 degree highs until again continuous above 50 degree highs.
www.alligatorperformance.com
Duraski is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 07:31 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

My dad has a Duramax and it got down to -23 last year and his never even sputtered. He didn't have any anti gel stuff in either. I had howes in mine and i think the howes must of gelled up because it only goes to -20 I believe and a message came across that said fuel filter plugged and we get fuel from the same place. I think he was running the winter blend so that probably helped. Avoid biodiesel at all costs.

Husker Diesel- 402-502-6961

Traded:2005 GMC Sierra 2500HD LLY
SLE, Black, crewcab short box, 265s
EFI live tuned by St. Joe Diesel, 5in Magnaflow exhaust
GMCduramaxdude is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-09-2010, 10:12 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum n00b

are you gelling?
Old 12-10-2010, 04:46 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Nah, I ain't gelling. lol Low temp yesterday was in the mid teens and high was high thirtys. Not typical for SC. Just curious.
My owners manual says the use of additives is not necessary or recommended. I wonder if that includes fuel anti-gelling products?
Thanks for the replies guys.
Bill T is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 05:47 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Super Moderator

[QUOTE=Bill T;949876]New to diesels. I know the fuel can gel at low ambient temps. About what temp does this occur? What is the effect on the engine? And how can you tell if your problem is due to fuel gelling?
What keeps the "Ice Road Truckers" from gelling? Fuel additives, some sort of fuel heaters?[/QUOTE]

Lot of the trucks in cold country are never turned off when it get so cold. Run then 24/7-!
Chevy 04.5 LLY, 2X, shell, XDR, MikeL Heavy duty up-grade, 6spd, TransGo, deep pan, blocked, fingered, de-badged, PCV, 65 Gallon replacement Aero tank, PPE on 2, LBZ-mp, Kennedy pump, shimmed, Pre-fuel filter, tow mirrors, BU cam, gauges, GPS, Sirius, bags, custom grille, fender vents, HD trans cooler- Curt front hitch, footwell lights, load lights, Studs, head gaskets.--- Jerry
jc1843 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-10-2010, 06:13 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

I use a fuel additive and cetane booster in every tank regardless of manual. Fuel starts to gell at around 40 deg F. In the South, I just run a regular AMSOIL Fuel Concentrate but they also offer one with a cold flow additive to help keep fuel from freezing in really cold climates.

If I can help with any of these products, please don't hesitate to PM me.

Take care,
mrmanners is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.