Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

brake pads

38K views 24 replies 20 participants last post by  rms 
#1 ·
coming up on replacing brake pads front and rear..

what s the best out there for our 3500hd s ?

the factory one s seemed really good, but as the miles add up , braking power is fading out..

thanks for the input

#2 ·
#4 ·
If you have a NAPA near you they sell a really nice ceramic pad thats a decent price :cool:

#5 ·
anyone ever tried the EBC pads either the green or the yellow pads? the green pads are supposed to eliminate 90% of brake dust on the rims. Their rotors are warrantied against warping for life.

#7 ·
I bought the Wagner ceramic premium oem replacements from Advance , and have been happy with them .
Looking for a set of drilled and slotted rotors next . Have Powerstop rotors on my '93 Z71 . Almost 140k miles and installing 3rd sets of pads . They have never been resurfaced , and are wearing good and have not warped .

#9 ·
Quick question. I have a '05 I bought in '07 with 44,000 miles. I currently have 88,000 miles and was wondering how long the brake pads last. I don't tow anything except on very rare occassions. I do drive in the city everyday. I have no squeals and the last time the truck was on a rack the pads looked like they still had lots of life left. I don't know if the previous owner or dealership changed the brakes so I am trying to gauge how long a stock set will last.

#12 ·
Ceramic man, they dissipate the heat better than anything

#13 ·
I can burn thru a new set in 45k miles (runnin’ a tad bit heavy:rolleyes: ). With very little towing, you could very well see 100k or more. Don’t judge the remaining life by viewing the fronts, as the rears wear quicker on our HDs.

#18 ·
I was researching brakes and rotors for my '06 2500HD and came across this post. Why do you say the rears go faster than the fronts? That goes against everything I've heard. I'm not trying to be a smart a$$ or argumentative, I'm just wondering why.

I tow a 10k/lb trailer, have 52k on the truck, and rely on the Allison to take care of much of the braking.

Thanks, Phil

#14 ·
I have not looked this year, but I have 65,000 Kilometers and I tow and live in the mountains, I downshift, the rear pads have finally worn enough to get full contact, I will be swapping the tires soon Time to start measuring and writing it down. I followed a guy today, highway 33 every corner he braked, then sped off, I never used the brakes once until the first stop light, 150 kilometers, later. I was 500 yards behind him all the way, people have lost the ability to coast, and roll into and out of the throttle. It is either hard on the throttle or hard on the brakes.
Brake parts, I get from Rock Auto, there is always a choice of different brands, lately I have been getting Raybestos.

#16 ·
I have 137K on the pads that came on the truck. No squeal yet, but I did turn all the rotors at 100K because of a slight pulsing under light braking. I will go with the OE again when new pads are needed.

#17 ·
I install Wagner Thermoquiet pads every day of my work week and we love them, and have never had a single complaint of brake noise or dust!! They have been great for us.

#19 ·
On the trucks when you're towing you get the most wear over the rear axle, so it's common for that axle to take all the stress of weight and braking. The LMMs have slightly bigger rear discs than the fronts for this purpose.

#24 ·
New or Used?

Old, I haven't mic the rears yet for remaining thickness. They were heavily heat discolored, but no warpage or visible surface eggshell cracks. The available between new and max wear thickness on the rear rotors is surprisingly low. I'm sure they're history....maybe destined for Trot Line anchors? :cool:

New, the Cryo slots are slick. :D Haven't trailered yet though.

I am NOT happy with the Hawk supplier though; shipping the wrong rear pads (had to throw in new cheapos temporarily). After verbally assuring that they had the right pad # for shipment, they still sent the wrong ones…..SRW instead of DRW.

I’ve since found out Hawk Super-Duty Reds don’t offer DRW pads, only SRW.
I’m Pissed! :mad: If you're a Forum Vendor on a Duramax site, pull your head out :toilet and gain some knowledge on the right parts for our Trucks! :stickpoke

rantonoff....till Monday. :rolleyes:

#25 ·
Yes . . . wanna' hear about the "Cryo's. My rears are a little thin.

Thinking about the Hawk LTS pads and maybe the Cryo's. With Russel SS lines & Speedbleeders.
And have a tech II cycle the ABS module with some DOT 4 fluid.

Should make it brand new.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.