Fuel Gauge Issues??? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-24-2011, 11:52 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Fuel Gauge Issues???

Hi Guys

My new to me 2008 Silverado 2500HD with LMM engine is giving me some funny readings with the fuel gauge.

I've done the whole fill up, record mileage, and gallons burned method of calculation by hand and found that the DIC is spot on with fuel burned reading, and average fuel economy reading.

But whats going on is the fuel gauge will read for example that there is a 1/2 tank of fuel left and the DIC shows that I have only burned 10 Gallons.

This truck has a 26 gallon tank so at 1/2 a tank the DIC should show 13 gallons burned. The closer I get to a 1/4 tank the more its off.

Could I have problem with the tank level sensor or did GM actually rig the fuel gauge to show less fuel to prevent drivers from running out???
vortex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-24-2011, 12:26 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
saw what you did there
Lifetime Supporting Member

There are some funny things going on with the NBS fuel tank gauges..

site:duramaxforum.com Fuel Gauge - Google Search
6K Lows, 3K Fogs, Tint.
CLICK BEFORE YOU POST!

theunderlord is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 06:17 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

I have the same issue with mine, and have been told that GM is working on a fix for this. My truck also has a 26 gallon tank and my low fuel light comes on at 16 gallons burned. When this first happened, I finially got tired of it and asked my dealer to look at it. They told me that it was not throwing a code, and would be $250.00 labor bill if nothing was worng with it. I asked if they found 10 gallons of diesel would they agree there was a problem and they said yes, so I told them to do it. There was just over 10 gallons of diesel still in the tank. They replaced my fuel sensor in the tank under warranty and this fixed the problem for one month and now it is back doing the same thing again. The fuel level burned is accurate, but does not let me utilize all the fuel in the tank. Hoping there is a fix for this soon.

2008 GMC 2500HD LMM SLT CC SB 4x4 Z71
Buckstop front bumper, WARN M12000 winch, PIAA 520 ATP driving / PIAA 510 fog, Westin Platinum Series nerf bars, Pace Edwards Bedlocker tonneau cover, Cognito UCA leveling kit and HD Idler Pivot Assembly, Cognito Pitman and Idler steering braces, Bilstein 5100's, LT285/70R17 BFG AT KO tires, 17 x 9 XD Series Crank Wheels, 15% Tint Driver/Passenger windows, GM Tow Mirrors, DDM Tuning HID lights 6000K 35W
Georgia Duramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 06:42 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

I brought my truck into the dealer about a month ago and they "swept the gauge" and they said it was working fine. Today I brought the truck in again for some other chicken $hit warranty issues like the leaking transmission fluid cooling line by the radiator and the leaking transfer case seal. I also reiterated to the service manager that my fuel gauge is definitely off!

Several times I ran the gauge down to a hair above the E mark. So I go to fill it up, and bang it only takes about 18.5 gallons. With a 26 gallon tank simple math says that at a 1/4 tank of fuel left I should have burned through 19.5 gallons.
vortex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 06:46 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

YOU can probably talk to your service manager and find out when the low fuel light should come on. Tank should only have about 2-3 gallons left in it before that happens. I was told there are several people with this same issue and GM is working on a fix. When they found the 10 gallons left in my tank and replaced the sensor, they didn't charge me at all. However now that the problem is back, I fill up more often because I do not know what will happen if I drive it until it says I burn 23 gallons. I don't want to have to reprime the engine, as that would be a royal pain.

Buckstop front bumper, WARN M12000 winch, PIAA 520 ATP driving / PIAA 510 fog, Westin Platinum Series nerf bars, Pace Edwards Bedlocker tonneau cover, Cognito UCA leveling kit and HD Idler Pivot Assembly, Cognito Pitman and Idler steering braces, Bilstein 5100's, LT285/70R17 BFG AT KO tires, 17 x 9 XD Series Crank Wheels, 15% Tint Driver/Passenger windows, GM Tow Mirrors, DDM Tuning HID lights 6000K 35W
Old 03-22-2011, 08:35 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

My 2008 was doing this also. They told me everything was fine and it wasn't throwing a code. Apparently these trucks have two sending units. I got them to replace them under the extended warranty and it has been working right since then. I brought it in with the low fuel light on and i left with over a quarter of a tank. Maybe this will help...
rance1476 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 09:15 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

I was having this issue too a while back. They replaced the tank sensor and it has been good ever since. Good luck...

Steve

2007 Ford F-150 Fx2 Sport on 22's

396 Motorsports Mx Team
Steve M is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-22-2011, 09:29 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
Husker Diesel Pimp

I'm pretty sure that all LMM's are the same way in stock form. I remember seeing several threads about this, and never saw a single person say their fuel gauge is accurate. Mine is off as well.

I just dismissed it as GM putting in some cushion room so that a person doesn't run the truck out of fuel, since priming it without a lift pump would be a pain.

I've run mine til the needle won't go down anymore, and is completley below the E line, and still haven't put more than 23 gallons in the tank

04 LB7: It's coming along, slowly
gr8shot is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-23-2011, 02:47 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I had a similar issue with my 07 Tahoe. I ran out of gas with a little more than 1/8 of tank left on the gas gauge. I had to go off my trip meter to know when to fill up so I didn't run out of gas anymore. I ended up trading it in for my 09 Duramax so I never found out what the problem was.
2009 Duramax CCSB Z71 LTZ, EFI Live by Nick, 4" Diamond Eye straight pipe exhaust with 5" black powder coated MBRP tip, EGR blocked, Recon running lights, 18" Ballistic Enigma wheels on Michelin LTX A/T2 275/65R18
Spyder smoked headlights and tail lights.
Replaced red door handles with black.
Removed chrome billet grill and painted bowtie black.
chavezja is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 04-04-2011, 10:11 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Anybody have these same issues running one of the Titan tanks? I hear that when your low fuel guage is on, that there is only 5 gallons or less of fuel in the tank. That is more acceptable for a 52 gallon tank. I heard everything works excewpt the Distance to Empty on the computer, but it is tough to justify the cost of the tank if your not hauling long distances on a regular basis.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.