Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

DPF keeps getting clogged

9K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  T-Bone 
#1 ·
Hello,

I just got my dpf cleaned after it got clogged really bad. But the dpf is getting clogged again and putting the truck in limp mode. It also has very short regen cycles of about 50 miles. Why would they be so short? Could it be the injectors? I know I am due for injectors at this mileage (265k) and the balance rates are poor. I am thinking about selling the truck due to the potential repair costs and break downs. Think about getting a 2015 gasser :frown2:

#2 ·
With that many miles, the DPF probably needs to be changed out. I actually just talked to a Freightliner service manager about cleaning these things & was told that the high temperatures used can actually crack the media inside, causing them to clog up even worse. If you've got injectors going out, that's probably making the problem exponentially worse by dumping too much fuel & creating excessive soot, which then clogs up the DPF. Don't have any personal experience with emissions components of these trucks, as I'm deleted.

#3 ·
High mileage on a DPF shorter regens can mean the DPF needs replacing. If you can tune & delete the DPF.

#5 · (Edited)
No signature, don't know what year your truck is and/or are you running a tuner ?

Like ByrdDog and HD Dmax said high mileage probably needs replaced, being you have to deal with emissions, I understand that.
The kids part I don't, unless you pull them in a little red wagon behind your truck.

Does your truck have the very restrictive stock muffler?
If it does, then you might consider deleting it, you will NOT notice a increased exhaust sound.

When I deleted my muffler still with the DPF, the regens went from lasting about 30 miles/minutes to about 10 miles/minutes.
Still going around 375-400 miles between regens.

At that high of mileage you might also check out your CAT/DOC it could also be clogged and going bad.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.