Exhaust smell coming through the vents - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2011, 12:33 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Exhaust smell coming through the vents

I have a 2007.5 Silverado LMM Duramax. I have noticed at times there is a strong exhaust smell coming through the vents. I've done some research on this forum and it seems that the down pipe may be loose at the turbo when there is a regen occurring.

There is a GM Service Bulletin 'PIP 4360' that tells service how to correct this problem.

I know a few of you that have had this problem and had GM service fix it.

My truck was built Nov 2007 and it has a little over 26,000 miles on it.

My question is, would this be covered by warranty? The bumper-to-bumper warranty has expired, but would it be covered by the engine or emissions warranty?

Thanks,
GM
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-13-2011, 06:54 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

This is what you were talking of I would assume...#PIP4360: Exhaust Odor During DPF Regeneration - keywords 6.6 align alignment
clamp diesel down engine leak LMM pipe regen shield soot turbo turbocharger - (Mar 4,
2008)

Subject: Exhaust Odor During DPF Regeneration

Models: 2007-2009 Chevrolet Express, Kodiak, Silverado, 2007-2009 GMC Savana, Sierra, Topkick Equipped with the 6.6L Diesel Engine RPO code LMM

The following diagnosis might be helpful if the vehicle exhibits the symptom(s)
described in this PI. A dealer may encounter a customer concern of exhaust odor during a DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter) regeneration. A leak at the turbocharger exhaust pipe may induce an exhaust odor that is noticed during a DPF regeneration.

Inspect for leakage at the turbo outlet to turbocharger exhaust pipe (down pipe) connection. Complete the current SI diagnostic for Charge Air Cooler Diagnosis (Full
System Air Leak Test). Exhaust soot accumulation on the inside of the turbocharger
exhaust pipe heat shield may also be noticed. If a leak at turbocharger exhaust pipe has
been verified, inspect the exhaust pipe for misalignment. Inspection may reveal
misalignment at the turbocharger exhaust pipe retaining bracket.

Align or adjust the turbo exhaust pipe as needed. If the exhaust pipe continues to leak,
replacement of the turbocharger exhaust pipe may be necessary. Replacement of the
retaining bracket may also be necessary if it was damaged by the pipe misalignment.
Make repairs as needed and evaluate the customer concern.

Please follow this diagnostic or repair process thoroughly and complete each step. If the
condition exhibited is resolved without completing every step, the remaining steps do not
need to be performed.

Anyway that should be covered with your engine warranty and the full warranty goes off of the sold date not the build date.
2008 LMM EFI Live by Nick, Transgo jr., Diamond Eye Quiet Exhaust with Quiet Tone Front Pipe, Big Blue Converter, Blocked EGR, Fass 150 lift, ITBC bypass, Heated Windshield Fluid CCLB Dually LTZ, Sulastics, Bilstein rear shocks, Debo step
136,000 miles
2004 LLY RCLB 4x4 80,000 miles bone stock oil every 3k SOLD
2011 Chevy RCLB 4x4 LML 3500HD
http://www.duramaxforum.com/forum/new-here-please-read/
rascal810 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-13-2011, 09:52 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

Thanks Rascal. I thought it should be covered by warranty but the assistant service manager that I talked to (haven't taken my truck in yet) said it might not be covered by warranty. I'll print out the bulletin from your post and take it in with me (I've seen that occasionally they can't or won't find the service bulletin).
Thanks again.
Old 03-13-2011, 10:12 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
NewEST Spinny Thinggg
Lifetime Supporting Member

it if isnt covered shoot my a pm I can walk you through getting that clamp on good
SoCal Cam
Mahle Forged Pistons .040 ovr
Hamilton Rods
Floor it pump
Dipper sticks
ATS Trans/CoPilot/TC
Other Stuff...
seth999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 03-14-2011, 02:26 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Thanks Seth, I think I'll take it in anyway and let them take out the heated washer fluid stuff (which doesn't work anyway) and let them GM give me $100 for deleting it.
Old 03-14-2011, 03:33 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Duramax Lifetime Supporter
Lifetime Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamitch11 View Post
Thanks Seth, I think I'll take it in anyway and let them take out the heated washer fluid stuff (which doesn't work anyway) and let them GM give me $100 for deleting it.
see my post on here about heated washer unit, make sure they do it correctly so you can install the alpha therm unit afterwords and pocket 10.00 for your trouble, tell them you want the fuse they pull from the fuse box and make sure they cut the wires on the right side of the harness so you can still plug in another one. new unit from alpha therm works great.

You didnt see me
you cant prove it
I didnt do it
07-Dmax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.