loud whine??? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission Ect

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2011, 08:40 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

loud whine???

in the mornings when i first take off out of the driveway, my truck will a really loud whine, or squal, or some kind of sound for the first few miles. it doesnt sound like a belt squeaking. it almost kind of sounds like a bearing on a pulley or somethin might be bad. it gets louder as i accelerate depending on how hard im on the throttle. and it quits after a mile or two and doesnt do it again until the next morning. any guesses on what this is? kinda has me a little concerned.
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2011, 08:44 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

you could pull your belt in the morning and spin your pulleys.... if one makes a realy faint noise.. then thats it
2005 chevy 4dr SB, Garret 4094-stage-2!! EFI. EDGE CTS ROB FROM IDAHO, 8" Fabteach, 37" pro comps on 18s, straight exhaust AFE intake with mouthpiece, blacked out, custom one of a kind cab lights. full stereo with fosgate shallow 12, FabTech Tie rods. Cognito idler and pitman saver. custom traction bars, Viper Remote Start FOR IPHONE, bd blow off valve. rhino liner Theres More Just Cant Think Of It.. TRAIN HORN!!!!, Diamond Eye DP, Radar/laser Detector--AND JAMMER. fox gauges. air ride bags/ with on board air..Mag Tech Diff Cover
CVBFireman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-09-2011, 09:49 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

has this happened to anyone else?
Old 06-09-2011, 10:41 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Could almost be a u joint... maybe hard telling.

Never Enough Parts
DeMax LB7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 03:51 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Mine doesnt wine but it does sound different until it warms up. my truck has always been cold natured. Doesnt run right till its warmed up. I thought all diesels were like that.
EFI by ATP dsp5
eddie nelson is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 04:10 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Not all diesels are like that but Duramaxes are,its the clutch in the fan staying locked up.Its part of the warm up cycle and stops in a fue minutes.
jmac5058 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 06:03 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

I was told the transmissions whine a little until they get the fluid moving and warmed up. Mine whines for a few minutes until I get into 4-5th gear and the rpm's drop then its quiet for the rest of the day until its cold again in the morning
Old 06-10-2011, 06:56 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

On mine, the clutch fan frequently makes a lot of noise on a cold start. This is normal. But on mine, it is not a whine. It is more like a lot of lower frequency fan type noise.

I suspect that one of your idler pulleys is going bad. It will whine like that for a few thousand miles, maybe even 10K miles, and then it may lock up or come right off. When it is doing this it is causing excessive wear on the belt. However, maybe the belt will fail first.

Also, if it is a squeal/squeak more than a whine, the belt itself could be bad as the back of the belt slips over a cold pulley. The belt back could be glazed. But then you got to ask yourself how long is that pulley's bearing actually going to last, too. I'd be looking at the belt and pulleys, unless you clearly just have a lot of fan noise.

For testing, you could add a small bit of belt dressing to the back of the belt and see if the noise disappears. Then try a dab of dressing on the ID of the belt. If used sparingly and on the belt one side at a time, often you can tell which pulley bearing is suspect. If the noise noise is still there after testing both sides of the belt, you may have two bad pulley bearings.

Using the belt dressing momentarily takes the belt surface out of the loop for testing. However, it is not a good long term fix.
N8AGS
Len Todd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 07:03 AM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)
Banned

Switch your serpentine belt to a GATORBACK from goodyaer and it will stop. Duramax's are know for excessive belt squeal. Mine sounded like a bad idler pully too and it was just a squeaky belt. The best place to find them is ROCKAUTO, they are 30 bucks I think.
smokinlmm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 06-10-2011, 07:24 AM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Yeah, mine does it. I think it's a turbo noise.

When I picked up the truck brand new, I drove it a few blocks and turned around and went back to the service manager. He drove it, said it was normal. I told him I had owned an LBZ for four years and never heard that.

He said the LMM's make that noise, don't worry about it. So, I don't. If it's not normal, it'll fail in warranty...............I hope.

I know what the fan sounds like and it's not that. It's more of a high pitched whine. It only makes the noise under load and when accelerating. It doesn't have to be a heavy load.

If a man in the forest makes a statement, and there's no woman around to hear him, is he still wrong?
eastex is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.