EPA Fines/Edge/H&S/VIN#'s - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 07 and up LMM Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2013, 08:58 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

EPA Fines/Edge/H&S/VIN#'s

With Edge and H&S both being fined from the EPA for the sale of their delete capable tuner/programmers, any ideas what the plans are for the EPA tying the associated VIN numbers to the people who have purchased the delete tuner/programmers?
Any idea if they are going to start after the EFI Live tuners?
dieselbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 09:03 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

i have been saying all along they will tie the vin numbers in, plus h&s is already being very "friendly" with the epa so if the epa doesnt have those vins already, which i would be surprised if they didnt, i imagine the epa will subpoena the vins and sales records just like they are warning they will do to edge.
Cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 09:21 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
backwoods legit
Lifetime Supporting Member

from an article i found from feb 1 2013:
Quote:
...EPA has issued information requests to both Edge Products and H&S Performance LLC to get their sales records, that could very well include VIN numbers for the vehicles these products are on....

When I asked my contacts at the EPA to elaborate on trickle-down prosecution, this is all they’d say:

“Regarding whether EPA has taken actions against retail establishments or individuals for selling/installing DPF Deletes, the Clean Air Act (CAA) prohibits the sale or installation of defeat devices, and provides for a penalty of up to $3,750 per device for violations.

“While EPA’s focus has been to eliminate the sales of these devices by prosecuting the manufacturers, EPA may enforce against any person who violates the CAA.

It’s also costly to reverse the deletes with new DPF, mufflers, resonators and related diesel exhaust components, which may cost more than $3,500 to replace.
Old 02-24-2013, 11:09 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

If I had deleted my dpf (which I neither confirm nor deny), a smart move would have been to clean up the old exhaust, tape closed the inlet/outlets and store in a nice, clean and dry place....assuming some one would be so inclined to do so
PCV Reroute
Quadzilla Stealth 2
Stock everything else, oh and PAID FOR!!!!

http://www.performancetruckproducts.com
corporateoffroader is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 11:28 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by corporateoffroader View Post
If I had deleted my dpf (which I neither confirm nor deny), a smart move would have been to clean up the old exhaust, tape closed the inlet/outlets and store in a nice, clean and dry place....assuming some one would be so inclined to do so
hmmm
223 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 11:36 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

that would of been the smart move .
05 3500 ccdrw lly, complete lbz banks ram-air intake set-up with with super scoope, egr deleted profab intake elbow , diamond eye 4' duals , diamond eye down pipe and no kitty efi by full throttle customs , edge insight cts for gauges ,lbz mp. and fuildamper .pcv reroute,right and left side boost tubes, banks techi cooler ppe ported fitting , afe rear diff cover magtec trans pan ,does it ever end airdog 2 165 bd manifold, merchant transfercase brace and rub kit , transgo jr, custom convertor . earls 82510aerl for trans cooler ,hellwig bigwig rear sway bar , fleece tap shifter

www.alligatorperformance.com
www.merchant-automotive.com
www.madjacksynthics.com
happyduramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 12:14 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
backwoods legit
Lifetime Supporting Member

yep, you know that if they do decide to start cracking down on individuals, which is probably unlikely but you never know, your options will be:

1) replace factory system with previously removed components or new components within certain period of time
2) receive fine, probably higher for each reoccurring infraction with the possibility of registration revoked until fixed.

will they do it, i dont know. can they do it, you bet your ass.

how will they do it, again speculation, at inspection. they arent going to come beat down your door to check your stuff, but you may get a letter by pony express asking for your vehicle to be inspected by a certain date with proof of inspection to be provided.
Old 02-24-2013, 01:01 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2500-HD View Post
but you may get a letter by pony express asking for your vehicle to be inspected by a certain date with proof of inspection to be provided.
Inspectors will then get rich off of bribes.
Cayenne is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 02:08 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I agree, they could just send letters to the associated vin# owner and require them to get there vehicle inspected. This could get expensive for some...
dieselbob1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-24-2013, 02:39 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

So much for living in a free country they done care about the environment they just want more money. Maybe Obama is wanting to play another round of golf with Tiger.

07.5 Chevy LMM quad cab dpf delete 5" diamond eye exhaust, Hs xrt pro on 120 hp

04 chevy lb7 dually Quadzilla stelath 2,k&n intake,4" diamond eye straight pipe, Dew eze hay bed, 348k+miles:rockin
tate07lbz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.