Need help on what to do to LMM? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
07.5-2010 LMM Performance Parts Discussion Discussion of Performance Parts For the 07 and up LMM Duramax Trucks No Advertising

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-04-2013, 01:24 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Need help on what to do to LMM & EFI?

Ok guys been really tossed on what to do and seeing the EPA coming
down hard, its making me feel I need to make a decision quick.. First
issue I live in CALIFORNIA so 2 year smog checks and CHP is up our ass
around here and I don’t want to risk getting caught with a visible DPF
delete, but I am looking to find a DPF and straight pipe it so all
looks stock.

Question to add, is the ability to turn off the DPF coming to an end with EFI?

I have a buddy at Banks that can get me the HOSS bundle for pretty
cheap price but is it still worth it?

Am I still better running EFI with the DPF on over the Bank Hoss kit?

I am conflicted on the risk vs. reward issues. Banks is all CARB
approved but still can’t turn off DPF or clear EGR codes. Going EFI
and keeping the DPF until I found a DPF to gut, but will I be able to
have someone rebuild the tune to delete the DPF in the future?
2010 GMC SLE 2500HD 4x4 White CCSB – 33 Bfg At’s – Method Racing Wheels – Kryponite A-arms - Kryptonite sway bar ends – Rare parts tie rods – Fox 2.0 shocks – McGaughty drop shackles – Edge Insight EAS and backup camera – PPE modded air box – MBRP 4inch DPF back – Line-X – Amp steps – Fumoto valve – Firestone towbags w/ compressor – JL10 sub and amp

O would you look at that, Auto Guide still wont let you set your favorites at the top of the main page. I thank you so much for making me search through everything, everytime Auto Guide "enter sarcasm here".

Last edited by GMCRIG; 05-04-2013 at 02:25 PM.
GMCRIG is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-04-2013, 01:33 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
it stinks and whistles :)
Lifetime Supporting Member

If I were you I'd buy a delete pipe and get efi live with two sets of tunes. Swap it back to stock for emissions testing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
rare parts gen2, bilstein 5100s, all season brace,
merchant pump rub fix, drp trans cooler lines,
air dogII 165
http://performancetruckproducts.com/
Brennan is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 06:20 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brennan View Post
If I were you I'd buy a delete pipe and get efi live with two sets of tunes. Swap it back to stock for emissions testing.

Sent from AutoGuide.com App
I keep reading delete pipes are hard to come by #1 and number #2 still breaking the law. Also will deleting just the DPF really help out the truck a lot?
2010 GMC SLE 2500HD 4x4 White CCSB – 33 Bfg At’s – Method Racing Wheels – Kryponite A-arms - Kryptonite sway bar ends – Rare parts tie rods – Fox 2.0 shocks – McGaughty drop shackles – Edge Insight EAS and backup camera – PPE modded air box – MBRP 4inch DPF back – Line-X – Amp steps – Fumoto valve – Firestone towbags w/ compressor – JL10 sub and amp

O would you look at that, Auto Guide still wont let you set your favorites at the top of the main page. I thank you so much for making me search through everything, everytime Auto Guide "enter sarcasm here".
Old 05-04-2013, 06:55 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)
Meyer Performance

i know there is a guy on here that has a 4094 and bigger sticks on his lmm and has bought the delete pipes(cat, DPF) and just switches them back and forth when he needs to. he said it is easy to switch them in and out. he also had a DPF back exhasut system installed to.

if you are dead set on keeping the cat and DPF then i woould get with rob and have him make some DPF safe tunes for your truck. he has did this before with success.

im not sure how well a lmm sounds with a gutted stock exhaust.
The life of my truck
Pics of my truck
MBRP, Diamond Eye, EFI live by Kory, FASS, S&B, Autometer, DHD, Magnaflow, ProFab, Banks, Edge, Cognito, Fuel, Nitto

Thanks to Tyler @ www.MeyerPerformance.com 812-344-4421
lutzjk913 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-04-2013, 07:05 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by lutzjk913 View Post
i know there is a guy on here that has a 4094 and bigger sticks on his lmm and has bought the delete pipes(cat, DPF) and just switches them back and forth when he needs to. he said it is easy to switch them in and out. he also had a DPF back exhasut system installed to.

if you are dead set on keeping the cat and DPF then i woould get with rob and have him make some DPF safe tunes for your truck. he has did this before with success.

im not sure how well a lmm sounds with a gutted stock exhaust.
Yeah I read that ROB was testing with the DPF on. I will do a little more research in that as well. Sounds like EFI with a DPF is still better then the Banks kit.

Old 05-04-2013, 07:07 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)
Meyer Performance

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMCRIG View Post
Yeah I read that ROB was testing with the DPF on. I will do a little more research in that as well. Sounds like EFI with a DPF is still better then the Banks kit.
i agree 110% that if you are keeping the DPF that EFI would be the only way yo go!
The life of my truck
Pics of my truck
MBRP, Diamond Eye, EFI live by Kory, FASS, S&B, Autometer, DHD, Magnaflow, ProFab, Banks, Edge, Cognito, Fuel, Nitto

Thanks to Tyler @ www.MeyerPerformance.com 812-344-4421
lutzjk913 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-06-2013, 07:51 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Veteran

Thanks for the help guys...

Old 05-07-2013, 08:16 AM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)
DF Sponsors

We are tuning trucks with emissions intact. If you maintain the truck well, there's no reason you cannot benefit from a DPF-on tune. I'd be happy to discuss the pro's and con's if you want to call.

Nick
Nick@Duramaxtuner is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 05-07-2013, 10:34 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

GMCRIG, I'm also from SoCal and just did the full straight pipe with EFI Live from Willie and Kory. I kept all my stock exhaust for when I have to smog. I can also set my truck back to stock if needed.

My bro-in-law has a canned tuner on his truck (same 08 as mine) and I smoke him!! There will be no comparison from EFI to the Banks. As far as staying legal, well that's something you'll have to decide on.

Good luck!
*6"-8"CST Lift*Banks cold air intake*EFI Live w/ DSP 5 by Willie and Kory*4" MBRP straight exhaust*Airdog 165*Edge CTS*Alpine Navi, Bluetooth, Kicker speakers*Amp Research Steps*Tow Mirrors with signals*Gloss black matching door handles*Bed Rail Caps*20x9 BMF Novakane's on 37" Toyo MT's
Phat Daddy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.