Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

OEM Steering Stabilizer Removal

36K views 12 replies 10 participants last post by  Tim K 
#1 ·
I just purchased an aftermarket steering stabilzer for my 09 2500HD. Does anyone know how the heck to remove the OEM stabilizer. The attachment on the drivers side is simple to remove, but I removed the nut on the passenger side and cant get the stud the attaches the stabiler assembly to the main steering rod to come out.

Reactions: D/AChris
#2 ·
I heard of using pickle fork or pitman arm puller.

#4 ·
I had to take out the wheel liner and broke two Air hammer Tie rod attachments. Finally got it out and when i put the new one in, I over tightened the nut and sheared the bolt off. Repeated the whole thing and now im good. The attachements were from Snapon and i already ordered replacements:D

#9 ·
I replaced the stock stabilizer this weekend. I used a pitman arm puller and the OEM stud popped right out. The trans cooler lines were in the way of the puller but I temporarily removed a small plastic tab that secures the lines and then was able to move them enough to get the puller in. I also removed the fender well liner, it made it much easier to get at the bolt on the puller. The heavy duty stabilizer is much better than the small stock one, much less bump steer now!

#11 ·
I second the pitman arm puller, but it was still a b**ch to do. The lines were in my way a lot, and had to push them way up to get the puller on there. After that it was a breeze. (I removed the inner wheel liner as well) What did you all replace yours with?

#12 ·
Just did this last night...
Spend two hours with a pickle fork, turning the tires, etc trying to get a good angle on the tapered shaft section on the centerlink. The pickle fork didn't work for me...maybe that's cause I swing a hammer like a little girl ;).

I ended up lubing it with PB blaster and getting a pitman arm puller from my neighbor. After getting the puller in position it took roughly 30 seconds to pop off. I wish I read this thread first. While you are under there you might as well add your idler/pitman arm braces.

P.S. Wear a long sleeve shirt that you can throw away, I've never gotten so greasy from working on a truck in my entire life.

#13 ·
I have a question about the pitman arm puller. What size pitman arm puller should I use to pull the steering stabilizer off of my 2007 GMC Sierra 2500 hd duramax classic diesel LBZ? I bought a 1 1/8 inch opening but was too small. I’m going to exchange it for a 1 5/16 inch opening and hope that works. I’m having a really hard time with this particular job. I’ve even spread my pickle fork apart trying to use it for this. Any help will be appreciated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.