Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

p1404 egr help

29K views 11 replies 4 participants last post by  duramax-upnorth 
#1 ·
OK my buddy has a 03 LB7 with a TST programer and he is getting codes P0380 and P1404. Can take care of the P0380 but need help with P1404. How can we fix the problem? Put a blocker plate, but then how to get rid of code? Full delete? Where to buy the kit? Or just buy new parts and replace the bad ones keeping it stock. Thanks for your help and insight, need to get this taken care of.

#3 ·
Yeah do you have emissions testing there? Id get EFI and be done with it.

#4 ·
no emissions testing here. He really wasn't looking to spend money on efi so not sure. He said the check engine light came on the other day and he brought it over and i scanned and those are the codes I got

#5 ·
P1404 means that the EGR is not closing properly. Could be over boost in access of 25psi or perhaps one of the solenoids is stuck open and not shutting off the vacuum to the EGR valve or the EGR valve itself is screwed up. This system is a nightmare. Is the truck lacking power or smoking more than usual? The only fix is to diagnose the system and repair it or EFI live to disable it. There is no way to cheat the system without getting a code. In your case if you decide to disable it, use a blocker plate for insurance. LLY blocker plate will work.
Somewhere on this site there is a schematic with pics if your buddy needs it.

Reactions: HaZeReaper
#7 · (Edited)
i have the same code along with a couple others and was told that i need efi live to take the code out after i did a egr delete kit or just deal with the code or check engin light butt i didnt get a check engin light did you block the egr if not i have my used one for sale dealer wants 300 for a new one ill take 125 for mine shipped

#9 ·
no i still get the codes of p1404 p0401 and p0405 that come up on my edge insight cts butt no check engine i had husktorf diesel do the egr delete they said dont worry about the codes unless you want them gone then you need efi or a diesel shop/dealer to into the ecm and tell the ecm its blocked/deleted

#10 · (Edited)
The point is you will get codes. Will it hurt performance? No. But if you want to do away with CEL and codes, EFI live is about the only way to deal with it. There is no kit.

#11 · (Edited)
Boy egr on LB7 is a nightmare.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.