Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Vibrations over 70 MPH

434K views 2K replies 243 participants last post by  ajamac 
#1 ·
I have a 2011 Danali HD 2500 with 18000 miles. When I bought my truck in January I had a vibration over 73 MPH. Not sure where it's coming from. I thought it was the shaft out of balance or wheel out of balance. The dealer told me this is normal but Im beginning to believe otherwise. It is perfect from 0-70. Anyone else having this problem?

#2 ·
I've had my truck up to 95 and never any type of vibration, its a 2008. That was before and after all I've done to it.

Reactions: LMLGMC
#3 ·
That's what I thought. He told me that all HD2500 had this problem. This vibration gets bad. Very annoying. Anyone else, or is it just me.

#4 ·
Fill out your Sig so we know exactly what's on the truck, and does the vibration go away, did you buy the truck new or used, has it been there since day one

Reactions: BowtieForTheWin
#6 ·
Sounds like a bad tire or out of balance tire, have them all balance checked and rotate positions. My 3500 is smooth but don't usually go over 70 mph,speed limits are lower here due to the sharp corners(and lots of them)here.

#7 ·
Ive had the same problem and am now at 5000 miles and its super aggrivating on a long trip. It could just be an out of balance tire idk I havent taken it back. Those guys pissed me off right from the get go. There was an earlier thread having to do with a wheel problem as well. Might want to search for it.

#1,332 ·
I purchased a 2015 2500 HD DC LTZ it had 20 inch rims with Goodyear tires.
After the dealer rep had rebalanced the tires and also switch out two other sets of 20 inch rims it still vibrated.

I convinced the dealer to switch out the rims to 18 inch rims they mounted Michelin LTX A/T LT 265/70R 18.

Problem solved. Good Luck

#8 ·
I bought the truck new. It has had vibrations from the day I drove it off the lot. I'll drop it at the dealer since its under warranty. Rebalance then rotate and Ill go from there. Speed limit is 70 mph in Tennessee... I drive 80 miles a day at 75 mph so you can imagine how annoying this is.

#10 ·
By the way guys, these trucks are notorious for having the back wheels "hop" at freeway speeds. If you find a rough highway you can sometimes watch the tailgate bounce because there isn't enough weight in the back. Not saying this is your problem but I threw a couple hundred pounds of sand in the bed and my problem fixed itself...

#52 · (Edited)
I thought the same thing so when I was towing our fifth wheel RV, I played with the speed in the range of the vibration - 67-73 mph. I could still feel the vibration. So I ruled our a light rear end. I refuse to inflate and deflate my tires to accomodate towing the fiver - I'm not going to do that 12-14 times a year. I didn't on the unrefined '06 Ram 2500 CTD, why should I on this one.

#11 ·
My LBZ will almost get sideways on some of the roads we have here. I dropped the pressure in my tires to about 50psi and it helped alot. My LMM has a 5000 lb bed full of crap to hold it down

#12 ·
I have this issue also on my 3500 CCSB. Went to dealer and had the tires roadforce balanced. This helped some (I have the Michelin LTX AT2s). Still have the vibration and discussed at length with service advisor who said there was nothing else they could do. Instructed me to call gm, which I did. Got a fairly surly guy named "Romeo" there in gm customer service. In the end, after talking to his supervisor, they did admit that gm has a problem with high speed vibration on this truck and indicated "engineers were working on it". Indicated I should keep checking with my service advisor for a "fix". All I can say is I am disgusted that they would put out a product for 50 = 60K that has vibration issues they dont know how to fix.......we shall see. Personally I have all paperwork from dealer admitting the problem and that they cant fix it. Other than this I love the truck. I can say adding a steering stabilizer (absorber in gm speak) and a hellwig rear sway bar have helped mitigate or mask the problem somewhat. We shall see......

#13 ·
Had the same issue on my 2011 denali 2500hd- right at 60-65 mph there was a noticeable annoying as hell shake. The dealer replaced the first set of tires then they sent the truck to a "heavy duty" truck garage that perfomred road force. Still did not fix. Gm customer service as a goodwill gesture
cut me a check for a new set of tires comparable to what came with the truck-
i installed some nitto terra grapplers 305-55-20's and the problem went away.

On my truck it was def a tire issue....

#16 ·
I have the same on my 2008 CCSB with 26000 on it. At 47 to 53 mph the truck shimmies a lot. Very uncomfortable in the back seat and felt a lot in the front. Dealer says all of them are like this. Like you I cannot believe they sell a 55-60+ K truck that is supposed to ride like this. Dealer said he took out a 2012 just like it off the lot and it did same at a diff speed. Chevy better get on the ball with this.

#18 ·
My 2005 ,2007.5 and 2011 all NEVER had this problem, or i would not keep buying the DMAX.

#17 ·
Hi Michelle,
What do you recommend I do with my truck that has this vibration. Should I start by contacting dealers or go straight to GM customer service. This vibration is become a big concern for me.

#20 ·
I'm not sure what tire brand comes on the DMAX now but if it's the General brand thats the first thing I'd get off my truck. They have had problems in the past with belts seperating and just down right crap they call tires.

#21 · (Edited)
As I have previously posted, I have vibratioin between 67-73 mph. VERY annoying. Truck came from the factory wth the $150 optional Michelin 18" tires. I did not have the problem prior to the install of the Michelin tire replacements (tires were replaced under warranty due to sidewall cracks). Figured it was a balancing issue. So I took it to a tire store instead of back to the Chevy dealer. I only had the rear tires balanced as I felt it was in the rear tires. I do not feel vibration in the steering wheel. The tech said both tires were out of balance by 1 ounce and was surprised I'd feel that. I do not feel it is any better. I do not think Roadforce balancing system was used and am thinking about looking for a place with one.
I, too, am very disappointed in this as it is a brand new expensive truck. Plus, I have never had a problem with Michelin tires. Phillip

#22 ·
As I have previously posted, I have vibratioin between 67-73 mph. VERY annoying. I did not have the problem prior to the install of the Michelin tire replacements (tires were replaced under warranty due to sidewall cracks). Figured it was a balancing issue. So I took it to a tire store instead of back to the Chevy dealer. I only had the rear tires balanced as I felt it was in the rear tires. I do not feel vibration in the steering wheel. The tech said both tires were out of balance by 1 ounce and was surprised I'd feel that. I do not feel it is any better. I do not think Roadforce balancing system was used and am thinking about looking for a place with one.
I, too, am very disappointed in this as it is a brand new expensive truck. Plus, I have never had a problem with Michelin tires. Phillip
Since your other tires had no vibrations, maybe they bent a wheel changing to the new ones. Make sure the assembly line rotor clips didn;t get screwed up and one is holding the rim from being mounted flush to the hub/rotor.

#23 ·
I am experiencing this problem with my 2011 2500 CC 4WD. I have 20" Goodyear Wrangler SRA's. The Dealership replaced the rear 2 but the problem still exists, although it is not as bad. I can make the problem go away by slightly reducing the air pressure and adding 600# of weight in the rear of the bed. However, my mpg suffers when I do this so this is not going to be a permanent option for me!

Other 2011 owners have reported this problem with different brands of tires and on different Chevy wheels (18" and 20"). This leads me to believe that the problem does not lie with the rim size or tire brand. Whatever the problem is, the tire brand may just exacerbate the issue. I cannot believe that the Chevrolet engineers have not figured this out yet!!

Anyway, hope this info helps.

#24 · (Edited)
Just a thought but if you have a tire shop locally that road force balance the tires and rims it may help to at least eliminate some problems. Road force balancing can give a value as to how far out of round the tire, if the value is to high you will get a vibration typically at higher speeds. Secondly like posted running lower tire in the rear can help greatly, now this being said the people with TPMS will have to get that worked out with the dealer so you dont have your tire light on the dash all the time.

I just ran into this issue earlier this when I put rims and tire on my 07 classic. I had vibration from 50-57 and 68- roughly 90. Didnt matter how many times they balanced the tires it was still there. Finally I noticed their tire machines could do road force balancing, so they did and the truck rides 10 times better.

From Wiki:
Force variation background

The circumference of the tire can be modeled as a series of very small spring elements whose spring constants vary according to manufacturing conditions. These spring elements are compressed as they enter the road contact area, and recover as they exit the footprint. Variation in the spring constants in both radial and lateral directions cause variations in the compressive and restorative forces as the tire rotates. Given a perfect tire, running on a perfectly smooth roadway, the force exerted between the car and the tire will be constant. However, a normally manufactured tire running on a perfectly smooth roadway will exert a varying force into the vehicle that will repeat every rotation of the tire. This variation is the source of various ride disturbances. Both tire and car makers seek to reduce such disturbances in order to improve the dynamic performance of the vehicle.

Radial runout

Radial Runout (RRO) describes the deviation of the tire’s roundness from a perfect circle. RRO can be expressed as the peak-to-peak value as well as harmonic values. RRO imparts an excitation into the vehicle in a manner similar to radial force variation. RRO is most often measured near the tire’s centerline, although some tire makers have adopted measurement of RRO at three positions: left shoulder, center, and right shoulder.

Lateral runout

Lateral Runout (LRO) describes the deviation of the tire’s sidewall from a perfect plane. LRO can be expressed as the peak-to-peak value as well as harmonic values. LRO imparts an excitation into the vehicle in a manner similar to lateral force variation. LRO is most often measured in the upper sidewall, near the tread shoulder.

#27 ·
Update. I called local Chevy dealer and they said bring it in between 5:00-5:30. So I show up at 5:15 and guess what they told me... We can't warranty GMC. I said oh, ok... I guess you are two different companies.... You have got to be kidding me!!! Anyhow there is no GMC dealer near here so I have to wait till Friday.

#28 ·
It is beginning to look like this issue is more widespread than I thought. I did find PIE0175 which describes the issue perfectly. Looks lik gm knows this is an issue. Seems like the smart thing to do is RESOLVE IT.

Reactions: T8Rchip
#31 · (Edited)
Envelopo, I read on the other forum (your excellent post on 5000 mile report) that you had absorbers mounted to improve your steering vibration. Are you now talking about a different type of vibration from tires and/or rims? Or, are you speaking of a similar or related issue here on this board? Also, could you please explain what PIE0175 is? It would be really great if you can post a link for PIE0175. Thanks!:nice:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.