Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

P2263 - Turbocharger Boost System Performance

87K views 27 replies 13 participants last post by  redwngr 
#1 ·
Anybody have any experience with this code and what the fix is? About two months ago (roughly 33-34k miles on the truck), I was coming home from work and the CEL popped on and the DIC said "Engine Power Reduced" or something like that. Conditions were cold and snowy in the mountains, and I was using the exhaust brake on some of the downhill runs in combination with downshifting to keep speeds down on the icy roads. I had just finished a downhill stint with the exhaust brake on, turned it off, and maybe 10-15 seconds later the CEL kicked on. It was really fun driving on I-70 at 25mph on the uphill sections in case anyone was wondering.

Limped it to the dealer, he checked the airbox for snow (there was none) then pulled the P2263 code, cleared it, and I drove home with no issues.

Fast foward to yesterday morning. Truck had been sitting since Friday afternoon without moving. It was fine Friday when I parked it. I remote started it yesterday and it started ok, but when I got outside the engine had shut off. When I turned the key on, the CEL was on again, and I pulled the code with EFILive and it was the same P2263 again. 40k miles on the truck now. No issues since clearing the code.

Anyone have any ideas? I can run it to the dealer if it happens again, but they are 20 miles from my house and about 70 miles from my work, so unless it happens when I am close by it's extremely difficult to get over there doing 25mph on the interstate.

See less See more
#4 ·
3000 miles and codes already

I have a 2014 chevy 2500 3000 miles on it with duramaxtuner tuning running the sport econ tune. everytime it lugs on a long hill and builds boost (1600-1700 rpm and 17psi) it throws the p2263 code I clear it and it is fine... did this 4 times now twice with tow haul and small trailer on and twice without tow haul or trailer..... switching to light tow tune and seeing what happens later today.

#5 ·
I have a 2014 chevy 2500 3000 miles on it with duramaxtuner tuning running the sport econ tune. everytime it lugs on a long hill and builds boost (1600-1700 rpm and 17psi) it throws the p2263 code I clear it and it is fine... did this 4 times now twice with tow haul and small trailer on and twice without tow haul or trailer..... switching to light tow tune and seeing what happens later today.
Factory emissions controls or deleted?

#9 ·
so i talked to Duramaxuner and they also pointed me in the direction of the map sensor etc..
however I ran the truck on the light tow tune for 8 days traveling the same route each day. yesterday I put it back on the sport econ tune and traveled the same routed. it kicked the turbo code on the same hill and under the same paramaters as before....
is it just me or does reasonable deduction point to a possible tune issue... or could it still be this MAP sensor or whatever.. I am not very familiar with all the newer computer stuff on these vehicles

#10 ·
I was just getting on the highway by my house and I heard a loud bang... My truck 2013 Denali completely stock goes into limp mode so I push the Onstar button to have them run a test and they come back with a p2263 code turbo boost system performance. They are sending a tow truck to take it to my dealer and hopefully I know more tomorrow.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

#11 · (Edited)
Hey ctdx,

I’m sorry that you have experienced this concern with your vehicle. I understand that your truck is being towed to the dealership. I will be glad to contact your dealership and work alongside them to try to find the best resolution to your concern. Please feel free to contact us via private message if we can be of any extra assistance. I look forward to hear from you soon!

Kristen A.
GM Customer Care

#13 ·
Mine backfires all the time after letting off the throttle on the backside of a long hill. It also has a p2263 code that only comes on sometimes. I replaced the MAP sensor today, hopefully that fixes my problem. Will know more on Sunday when I try to drive across Missouri. Every time I take it to GM they want me to pay a fee so they can figure out what is wrong with it. Isn't that what the code is for? I can't afford another $1500 DEF heater y'all need to figure this shit out GM! My $60,000 truck should not be having these problems when it's only 3 years old.

#18 ·
Anybody have any experience with this code and what the fix is? About two months ago (roughly 33-34k miles on the truck), I was coming home from work and the CEL popped on and the DIC said "Engine Power Reduced" or something like that. Conditions were cold and snowy in the mountains, and I was using the exhaust brake on some of the downhill runs in combination with downshifting to keep speeds down on the icy roads. I had just finished a downhill stint with the exhaust brake on, turned it off, and maybe 10-15 seconds later the CEL kicked on. It was really fun driving on I-70 at 25mph on the uphill sections in case anyone was wondering.

Limped it to the dealer, he checked the airbox for snow (there was none) then pulled the P2263 code, cleared it, and I drove home with no issues.

Fast foward to yesterday morning. Truck had been sitting since Friday afternoon without moving. It was fine Friday when I parked it. I remote started it yesterday and it started ok, but when I got outside the engine had shut off. When I turned the key on, the CEL was on again, and I pulled the code with EFILive and it was the same P2263 again. 40k miles on the truck now. No issues since clearing the code.

Anyone have any ideas? I can run it to the dealer if it happens again, but they are 20 miles from my house and about 70 miles from my work, so unless it happens when I am close by it's extremely difficult to get over there doing 25mph on the interstate.
Curious as to why you would 'turn off' the exhaust brake?

#21 ·
So my truck is still showing the 2263 and 2599 codes. I've replaced the MAP sensor. And no change. The dealership told me it's either the turbo vane position sensor or the turbo itself. So of course I replaced the sensor thinking it would be cheap $998.98 and the codes are still coming up. All they are telling me now is that it's something I did wrong when I did the deletes. The only reason I did the deletes is because I thought it would fix the problem!

#24 · (Edited)
Okay found this post during my search for code P2263.

My truck went into a kinda limp mode after DIC read "engine power reduced" or something like that while going up a slight grade then the check engine light comes on. My truck was empty and not towing. The Edge CS2 monitor showed diagnostic code of P2263 and has something to do with the turbo charger. I have an MotorOps Autocal tuner installed tuned to the ECO/SPORT mode.

I couldn't go any faster than maybe 55mph until I pulled over and turned off the engine. I restarted and everything sounded fine except for the check engine light was lit. Long story, trying to be short, I made it home, put in my Autocal tuner and reflashed to the stock tune. When everything was done, the check engine light was gone, and the code P2263 was gone. I checked the Edge CS2 Monitor and the code was gone also. I drove my truck about 25 miles and everything is good again.

My question: What gives??? Is this going to happen again? Or will this be like my early Regen at 25grams and never happen again? Should I trade in for a 2017? Gees, this kinda stuff drives me nuts.

#26 ·
I had both these codes pop up while towing a loaded 22 ft enclosed trailer this time last year, I apologize as I don't remember all the details now but one of the leads I had pointed a finger to bad fuel.

The dealer told me I needed a new turbo and since I'm deleted, it wouldn't be warrantied. The truck seemed to run and drive fine, so I was planning on going after the MAP and then maybe try to swap the vane position sensor and so on, but then I read somewhere that MAP problems can be caused by poor fuel. I had filled up a few hours earlier from the last of the fuel from my old slip tank that I tossed in for the trip, it seemed to add up as it would have gotten some old fuel from very bottom as it emptied the slip tank. I replaced the fuel filter and haven't had any issues since (knock on wood). For you guys that keep having issues, it may be worth a shot. Pretty cheap and easy thing to try.

#27 ·
I recently had this code come up. its always going down hill with the engine brake on while towing. The map sensor is an interesting item. I did just clean the k&n filter. ( dry) Ill have to check the plug on the map.
I also have noticed my vane is sticking after a hard pull up a hill. I read somewhere that the vanes can be come sooted and need to be cleaned.
I hope to start the turbo removal soon. I want to get a down pipe before I start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.