P0234 & P2599 codes - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-01-2014, 01:33 PM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

P0234 & P2599 codes

I don't have a CEL in the dash, but occasionally check for any codes on my Insight and today found the following two:

P0234 - Turbo Overboost condition
P2599 - Unknown DTC description. Consult vehicle owners manual

When I look in the records section of my Insight I see a max boost of 39PSI! Yikes! Previously the highest I have seen here has been 28/29PSI.

Does anyone know what the P2599 applies to? Should I be concerned with either of these? I have deleted both codes and will see if they show up again in the near future. I'm not sure exactly when they popped up as its been a while since I last checked for codes.

2012 Quicksilver SLT CCSB Sub 200mi regen club, fuel guzzling, dealer queen LEMON...

Amp Powersteps
Insight CTS
305/55/20 Mickey ATZ P3
Bilstein 5100s
Rancho stabilizer
B&W Turnover Ball w/Andersen Ultimate 5er Hitch

Last edited by Sandman_73; 12-01-2014 at 02:14 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 08:34 AM

DTC P2598 or P2599

Diagnostic Instructions

•Perform the Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Diagnostic System Check - Vehicle) prior to using this diagnostic procedure.
•Review Strategy Based Diagnosis (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Strategy Based Diagnosis) for an overview of the diagnostic approach.
•Diagnostic Procedure Instructions (See: Testing and Inspection\Initial Inspection and Diagnostic Overview\Diagnostic Procedure Instructions) provide an overview of each diagnostic category.

DTC Descriptor
DTC P2598

•Turbocharger Boost Control Position Performance - Low Position

DTC P2599

•Turbocharger Boost Control Position Performance - High Position

Circuit/System Description

The position of the turbocharger vanes is controlled by the Engine Control Module (ECM). The ECM utilizes a turbocharger vane control solenoid valve to control the turbocharger vanes, and a turbocharger vane position sensor to verify the position of the vanes. The ECM will vary the boost dependent upon the load requirements of the engine. The turbocharger vane position sensor provides the ECM with a signal voltage relative to the vane position.

Conditions for Running the DTC

•DTC P003A, P006E, P006F, P0045, P0047, P0048, P2564, or P2565 is not set.
•The engine coolant temperature is between 70-123C (158-253F).
•The engine is running for greater than 30-210 s, depending on the engine coolant temperature at start.
•The turbocharger vane position learn procedure is not active and has completed and passed since the last clearing of fault code memory.
•The ambient air temperature is greater than -15C (5F).
•DTC P2598 and P2599 run continuously whenever the above conditions are met.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

P2598

The ECM detects that the difference between actual vane position and desired vane position is greater than 15 % for greater than 10 s.

P2599

The ECM detects that the difference between actual vane position and desired vane position is less than 15% for greater than 10 s.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

•DTC P2598 and P2599 are Type B DTCs.
•Diesel Particulate Filter (DPF) Regeneration is Inhibited.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 08:35 AM

looks like the vains in your turbo are starting to stick witch could be part of your short regens

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Thanks for the info. So when a code is thrown what determines whether a CEL will get illuminated or not? In my case I never saw a CEL.

Unfortunately with the codes now cleared and no CEL at this point I have nothing to take into the dealer to get looked at. I have a feeling the code may have surfaced last week when I was pulling my 5th wheel through some mountain passes and it likely won't re-appear just running empty. Looks like I will have to pull the trailer that I had just put away for the winter back out and go pull some hills to see if I can get it to pop again.

2012 Quicksilver SLT CCSB Sub 200mi regen club, fuel guzzling, dealer queen LEMON...

Amp Powersteps
Insight CTS
305/55/20 Mickey ATZ P3
Bilstein 5100s
Rancho stabilizer
B&W Turnover Ball w/Andersen Ultimate 5er Hitch
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-02-2014, 08:33 PM

It was probably put in as a pending code, I am unsure of the difference. I think it might be boarder line and when it does pass the threshold fully it will turn the CEL on. maybe someone else can chime in
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 08:47 AM

found more info looks like it has to fail twice to turn the light on, Just failing once puts the code there but no light.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 12-03-2014, 08:49 AM

Emissions Related DTCs

Action Taken When the DTC Sets - Type A

•The control module illuminates the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) when the diagnostic runs and fails.
•The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Freeze Frame/Failure Records.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets - Type B

•The control module illuminates the MIL on the second consecutive ignition cycle that the diagnostic runs and fails.
•The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The first time the diagnostic fails, the control module stores this information in the Failure Records. If the diagnostic reports a failure on the second consecutive ignition cycle, the control module records the operating conditions at the time of the failure. The control module writes the operating conditions to the Freeze Frame and updates the Failure Records.
•The following applies to misfire DTCs:
•If the control module detects a low level or an emission level misfire condition during 2 consecutive trips, the control module illuminates the MIL.
•If the control module detects a high level or catalyst damaging misfire, the control module flashes the MIL at a rate of once per second.
•If the control module detects a misfire during 2 non-consecutive trips, the stored conditions are compared with the current conditions. The control module illuminates the MIL when the following conditions occur:
•The engine load is within 20 percent of the previous test that failed.
•The engine speed is within 375 RPM of the previous test that failed.
•The engine coolant temperature is in the same range of the previous test that failed.
•The following applies to fuel trim DTCs:
•If the control module detects a fuel trim condition during 2 consecutive trips, the control module illuminates the MIL.
•If the control module detects a fuel trim condition during 2 non-consecutive trips, the stored conditions are compared with the current conditions. The control module illuminates the MIL when the following conditions occur:
•The engine load is within 20 percent of the previous test that failed.
•The engine speed is within 375 RPM of the previous test that failed.
•The engine coolant temperature is in the same range of the previous test that failed.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC - Type A or Type B

•The control module turns OFF the MIL after 4 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.
•A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
•A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.
•Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.

Non-Emissions Related DTCs

Action Taken When the DTC Sets - Type C

•The control module stores the DTC information into memory when the diagnostic runs and fails.
•The MIL will not illuminate.
•The control module records the operating conditions at the time the diagnostic fails. The control module stores this information in the Failure Records.
•The driver information center, if equipped, may display a message.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC - Type C

•A current DTC Last Test Failed clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.
•A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other non-emission related diagnostic.
•Clear the DTC with a scan tool.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets - Type D

•The control module will take default actions but no DTC will be stored in Failure Records.
•The MIL or SVS will not illuminate.

Conditions for Clearing the DTC - Type D

Clear the DTC with a scan tool.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode