Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Oil Filter Collapse?!?!

10K views 50 replies 19 participants last post by  oscyjack 
#1 ·
Has anyone ever seen this? It happened the morning to me. I have to wait until tomorrow for Chevrolet Roadside Assistance to take the truck to the dealer.

Attachments

See less See more
#12 ·
He said nothing snapped off but a picture is worth a thousand words. :nerd: It clearly looks like a u-joint with caps and pins missing on the end of a drive shaft setting on the oil filter to me.

As stated oil filter is always under pressure never vac. The filter is on the discharge side of the pump.

#4 ·
Nothing snapped off and the drivetrain itself looks fine. I was in 4WD Low trying to get off a sheet of ice in my driveway with the snow we got. Was in reverse, foot on the brake, shifted to drive and then hit the gas. Was not full throttle because that would have done no good in moving the truck. Maybe quarter throttle at best. As the truck started moving forward, a loud bang was heard with a loss of oil pressure. Immediately cut off the truck. This was found with oil leaking onto the snow. Trying to figure out what in the world have caused this? I kind of wondered if something shot out of the block but it in my opinion would be almost impossible based on the oil filter location being at mid engine height. I am at a lost. It is under warranty (2015) but found this weird. Happened on flat open ground in my driveway. No trees or anything around.

#15 ·
saw this happen before with fram filters and know a friend that owns a parts store that recently went to a fram meeting and this was what there were talking about

#19 ·
Still looks like something hit it to me.

#23 · (Edited)
Just looked under my truck, that drive shaft should be on the other side of the oil filter and about 3 inches higher. I've seen the front half shafts break on these trucks, but never the front drive shaft. I wonder if the bolts vibrated loose.

And on a side note...the front of the u-joint is visible. This should not be visible since it should be attached to the yoke and should be out of view of the oil filter.

#25 ·
These off road beasts just keep getting tougher I see. At least yours is under warranty.

#26 ·
I remember when I had a truck with reliable four wheel drive, one was an 05' the others were fords.

#27 ·
Best truck I every had was my ol '81 half ton. It was a Chevy.

#28 ·
My 86' was a tank but too. But it liked transfer cases, every few years.

#29 ·
The old 81 was a tough one but the body just didn't hold up.

#30 ·
That too, my father in law has my 86' now, and it's going on its 3rd cab and bed, cab isn't terrible yet, bed is junk junk.

#31 ·
Yeah it's a shame that they didn't make'em where the didn't rust so bad but I guess you pay the price living here with all the salt and mud, I love it!

#32 ·
Me too, haha. I can't wait to get my truck fixed, still pissed the front end came out idling in four wheel drive. Finally got a plow truck up this way.

#33 ·
Plow truck still hasn't been up in the hollow yet got the duramax in the ditch this morning trying to pass another truck, he tried to pull it out but had to go get my 4 WD tractor.

#34 ·
steeleshark2, I will be interested to see what your dealer tells you after they inspect your truck. In December I had something similar happen to my truck when I used 4WD in reverse. I was pulling our 5th wheel camping at some friends property and when we arrived the ground was wet from rain the night before. I was on wet grassy sandy soil and when I went to back our trailer in the rear tires spun (they did not sink in). I put my truck in 4WD low and slowly started back and heard a loud pop. The truck and trailer had barely started moving backwards when this happened and the tires were not spinning.

To make a long story short my front driveshaft was hanging down (broke the front driveshaft yoke at the differential) so I tied it up and unhooked from the trailer and pulled out in 2WD and parked the truck where a wrecker could get to it. When the local dealer called back after 5 days they said the transmission, transfer case and front differential all had to be replace at a cost of $12,500 and GM had denied to cover it under warranty because they deemed it as abuse. Now I had three people standing there watching this happen and none of them could believe this damage would occur from trying to back the trailer in 4WD. The truck was not stuck because I pulled it forward in 2WD when I unhooked from the trailer.

The local dealer did get the cost down to $9650 which we had to pay to get the truck back and on the road but the GM drivetrain warranty would not cover any of the cost. My wife is going after GM to see if she can recover any of the cost but at this point this may be the last of the GM trucks we buy (she also drives a 2014 Chevy truck). I will be interested in what they tell you after looking at your truck.

#36 ·
No we did not. Don't know if they (State Farm) would have or not but I feel like GM should have covered this. The only way I could see any "Abuse" would be if I had buried it in mud which did not happen.

#38 ·
Sooooo we still dont know what happened. :stickpoke Heyyaa
Maybe it was those boobs that collapsed the oil filter. ;)

#39 ·
Sounds like junk yokes to me.

Reactions: John6363
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.