2016 First impressions and problems - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

36Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 08:10 AM Thread Starter

2016 First impressions and problems

Just got a 2016, it's my first diesel truck. I've got 2000 miles on it. Loving the truck so far, but I've come across a few things I'd like to throw out there and see what the smart folks here think about them.

1. Occasionally I get the hit from behind feeling when coming to a stop. Feels to me like the tranny downshifts to 1st right after I've come to a stop. It's happened maybe 6 times.

2. Weird shift from 4th-5th. This has only happened 4 times, but it's a lengthy shift (1-2 seconds) that also has a loud groaning noise. This has happened when the truck is warmed up and when it's cold.

3. This just happened this morning for the first time. I had the exhaust brake on and was going down a hill. I tried to apply power, but the truck wouldn't come out of the slow-down mode and continued to upshift to slow me even though I was trying to accelerate. I had to turn off the exhaust brake to get things back to normal.

I plan to mention all of these things to the dealer when I take it for the first oil change, but I'd like to be armed with some unbiased advice from the board when I go in.

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to being a part of the forum.

CD
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 08:20 AM

I'm not a mechanic by any means but it sounds like a CPU glitch in the tranny. I would definitely bring it to the dealers attention!

Current:
"XS ive2"
2014 Silevrado 2500HD 6.6 Duramax CCSB LTZ Z71 loaded with stuff(sunroof/slider/cab lights/mirros/Nav/etc) and wrapped in Summit White.
6.5" BDS with 35" Nitto's on 20x9 Fuel Throttles. ISSPRO EV2 Factory match gauges in pillar pod.
Previous:
"XS ive1"
2008 Silverado 1500 5.3l CCSB LTZ Z71 Southern Comfort Edition(loaded with stuff except Nav)
6" ProComp lift 18" ProComp 6001 Rims and 35" ProComp Xtreme AT's
post #3 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 08:53 AM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Most likely TCM flashing needed. I would assume. I've never heard of issues on stock Allison from factory. That I've seen.

06 LBZ ECLB
5% tints | 5" straight pipe with axle dump | 20" lml wheels with 33x12.5 MTs | motorsporttech aluminum custom spacers | power steering cooler with magnefine | awaiting retrofit....

post #4 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 09:15 AM

Your first concern I've had that issue before and it came down to the way I braked when approaching a red light or yellow about to turn red. I'm not saying though what you're describing isn't happening.
post #5 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 09:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdibrell4 View Post
Just got a 2016, it's my first diesel truck. I've got 2000 miles on it. Loving the truck so far, but I've come across a few things I'd like to throw out there and see what the smart folks here think about them.

1. Occasionally I get the hit from behind feeling when coming to a stop. Feels to me like the tranny downshifts to 1st right after I've come to a stop. It's happened maybe 6 times.

2. Weird shift from 4th-5th. This has only happened 4 times, but it's a lengthy shift (1-2 seconds) that also has a loud groaning noise. This has happened when the truck is warmed up and when it's cold.

3. This just happened this morning for the first time. I had the exhaust brake on and was going down a hill. I tried to apply power, but the truck wouldn't come out of the slow-down mode and continued to upshift to slow me even though I was trying to accelerate. I had to turn off the exhaust brake to get things back to normal.

I plan to mention all of these things to the dealer when I take it for the first oil change, but I'd like to be armed with some unbiased advice from the board when I go in.

CD
1. This thud is coming from fuel slosh, starts around 3/4 of a tank and seems to go away around 1/2 tank... This all started with the 2011 model year trucks with the 37 gallon fuel tanks.

2. You say it happened only four times. The Allison has a lot of learning to do in the first stages of life, it basically learns your driving habits. So, if you were easy on it for the first bit and then decided to start driving a little more aggressive you may notice some odd shifting from time to time, this feature is called adaptive learning and should sort its self out. The Allison is a sweet transmission!

3. Yes, sometimes the exhaust brake can be a little aggressive on a long step hill, where you in tow haul as well? I also find when tow haul is ON you do need to accelerate thru the grade braking... I assume you didn't like the high engine rpm's? If so its not a problem.

2015.5 GMC Denali 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white.

2012 Chevrolet Silverado LTZ 3500 SRW CC SB 4x4 D/A in Graystone metallic. Traded

2003 GMC SLE 2500 CC SB 4x4 D/A in Summit white. SOLD
post #6 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 09:32 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Garage
Budy has a 16. Watching him follow me, it bothers me the headlight turns off on the side when he is signaling to turn.

More copycating other enferior brands.

2010 Gmc 2500 Duramax over 805,000 Odometer miles
50% towing miles, Counteract balancing beads, Rancho 9000 shocks, 89 Gallon RDS in box tank, 1 ton rear leaf springs, Curt 20k Fifth Wheel, Curt 18K Rear Mount hitch, Firestone ride-rite air bags, NUC Motorsports Bypass oil Filtration, Edge Insight CTS, Fass 95HD

2013 LT CC & Chassis with 9' Hillsboro Aluminum flatbed - almost 57,000 miles
chevor-2010-gmc-2500-maintenance-log

Favorite book : The Richest Man in Babylon
post #7 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-18-2016, 11:44 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for all the replies so far, I've learned a lot already.

I did not have the tow mode activated when the exhaust brake gave me problems, but I will experiment and see if I can reproduce the condition with and without tow mode on.

I started an email dialogue with the dealer about these issues, I'll post their response.

Thanks again,

CD
post #8 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-19-2016, 03:32 PM

I have the same issue 1 and 3 glad to hear its gas for issue 1. I will check more into issue 3 I have my 2nd and final free oil change from dealer soon. i have 10k on my GMC 2016 2500 so i will be asking him all about these issues and more and seeing if the story matches.
post #9 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 07:01 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdibrell4 View Post

CD
Hi cdibrell4,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these concerns. I would be happy to provide an additional layer of assistance by contacting the dealer on your behalf. Please private message me your VIN, contact information, and your preferred dealership.

Best,

Anthony Z.
GM Customer Care
post #10 of 115 (permalink) Old 05-20-2016, 07:02 AM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by njmako View Post
I have the same issue 1 and 3 glad to hear its gas for issue 1. I will check more into issue 3 I have my 2nd and final free oil change from dealer soon. i have 10k on my GMC 2016 2500 so i will be asking him all about these issues and more and seeing if the story matches.
Hi njmako,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing similar concerns. I would be happy to assist you moving forward with your dealer. Please private message me you VIN, contact information, and preferred dealership.

Kindly,

Anthony Z.
Gm Customer Care
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode