Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2016 First impressions and problems

125K views 130 replies 56 participants last post by  zert100 
#1 ·
Just got a 2016, it's my first diesel truck. I've got 2000 miles on it. Loving the truck so far, but I've come across a few things I'd like to throw out there and see what the smart folks here think about them.

1. Occasionally I get the hit from behind feeling when coming to a stop. Feels to me like the tranny downshifts to 1st right after I've come to a stop. It's happened maybe 6 times.

2. Weird shift from 4th-5th. This has only happened 4 times, but it's a lengthy shift (1-2 seconds) that also has a loud groaning noise. This has happened when the truck is warmed up and when it's cold.

3. This just happened this morning for the first time. I had the exhaust brake on and was going down a hill. I tried to apply power, but the truck wouldn't come out of the slow-down mode and continued to upshift to slow me even though I was trying to accelerate. I had to turn off the exhaust brake to get things back to normal.

I plan to mention all of these things to the dealer when I take it for the first oil change, but I'd like to be armed with some unbiased advice from the board when I go in.

Thanks in advance. I'm looking forward to being a part of the forum.

CD

See less See more
#2 ·
I'm not a mechanic by any means but it sounds like a CPU glitch in the tranny. I would definitely bring it to the dealers attention!

#3 ·
Most likely TCM flashing needed. I would assume. I've never heard of issues on stock Allison from factory. That I've seen.

#5 ·
1. This thud is coming from fuel slosh, starts around 3/4 of a tank and seems to go away around 1/2 tank... This all started with the 2011 model year trucks with the 37 gallon fuel tanks.

2. You say it happened only four times. The Allison has a lot of learning to do in the first stages of life, it basically learns your driving habits. So, if you were easy on it for the first bit and then decided to start driving a little more aggressive you may notice some odd shifting from time to time, this feature is called adaptive learning and should sort its self out. The Allison is a sweet transmission!

3. Yes, sometimes the exhaust brake can be a little aggressive on a long step hill, where you in tow haul as well? I also find when tow haul is ON you do need to accelerate thru the grade braking... I assume you didn't like the high engine rpm's? If so its not a problem.

#6 ·
Budy has a 16. Watching him follow me, it bothers me the headlight turns off on the side when he is signaling to turn.

More copycating other enferior brands.

#7 ·
Thanks for all the replies so far, I've learned a lot already.

I did not have the tow mode activated when the exhaust brake gave me problems, but I will experiment and see if I can reproduce the condition with and without tow mode on.

I started an email dialogue with the dealer about these issues, I'll post their response.

Thanks again,

CD

#8 ·
I have the same issue 1 and 3 glad to hear its gas for issue 1. I will check more into issue 3 I have my 2nd and final free oil change from dealer soon. i have 10k on my GMC 2016 2500 so i will be asking him all about these issues and more and seeing if the story matches.

#9 ·
Hi cdibrell4,

I am sorry to hear that you are experiencing these concerns. I would be happy to provide an additional layer of assistance by contacting the dealer on your behalf. Please private message me your VIN, contact information, and your preferred dealership.

Best,

Anthony Z.
GM Customer Care

#11 ·
#12 ·
that thud is fuel slosh 100%.

the shift you are feeling is probably the converter locking

#39 ·
100% fuel.. i had the same worry. also, it's likely the converter locking. i have this when i'm deeeeep into the throttle. with my cts 2, i can see the converter isn't locked when it makes the shift, then it locks a few rpms later causing the same thing the OP mentioned.

#13 ·
The thud is not a fuel slosh. It is a known issue with the 15.5 and up trucks because of the new transmission controller. They more or less will "slam" into first while coming to a stop; it is quite sporadic and hard to pinpoint exactly why they do it.

#25 ·
Haven't had that issue on my 16 GMC. My tranny is very smooth. Probably need a reflash of the TCU.

#14 ·
I as well just got my first Duramax. A 16 Chevy. 400 miles and now its headed back to the dealership. The stabilitrac msg and engine light come on disabling the entire tranny at times or only giving me 2nd and reverse. I've always had GM 2500's gas jobs and have had good luck. Not a good start with this one.

#16 ·
Hi ctdmax,

I'm sorry to hear about your infotainment issue in your truck and I can understand how this persistent concern would be frustrating. If you plan to continue working with the dealership to resolve this, I would be happy to offer an additional layer of assistance from my end. Please feel free to PM me with additional details if you are interested.

Kindly,

Anthony Z.
GM Customer Care

#18 ·
Mine is having the issue of the damn screen going black, it finally quit altogether, exactly a week and 500 miles after buying it. Dealership has had it a week and can't get the part or find out when it'll be available. I've started cases with gm customer service, and even escalated to an executive assistant. To which she calls the dealership to check on, and see if they have the part, which trust me I have that covered. Several life long friends mine work there, so I know they're doing all they can. GM execs keep saying the part is shipping directly from the supplier, but act like they have no way of calling or contacting the supplier for a estimated time of when it'll be available. I'm a life long Chevy buyer, trade my 13 dmax in for a 16 dmax, two days later traded the wife traverse in for a new cruze she had to have. But this will be it for my relationship with them. I loved the truck for the week I had it, but the fact that they have this module I need at the plant to make them but can't send me one, says a lot to me. They are far more worried about sales than service for people who just bought one. Per the lady 8 have been talking to, these parts are basically nationwide back order, the part won't even be coming from gm when it does come, so someone with knowledge explain to me how they are making trucks at this very moment but can't supply one to fix mine? Lol what a joke

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

#20 ·
Come to find out, gm are shipping bad returns to an outside source to have refurbished, which is what they will get if and when they do to out in my new truck. This is one big load of shit in my opinion. It's about to turn into a case for a lawyer. I'm disgusted I don't even want it now.

#21 ·
Update: long story short I filed a complaint with the BBB this morning around 10 am. Because for the last few days I have no located a few of these parts, and GM refused to get the new one from a third party, which was exactly their plan from the get go with these refurbished modules. And I was really tired of dicking around with them. And them still telling me they didn't know if/when they could get one.
A little bit ago a gm buisness agent (I believe she said) called me to discuss my issue and case I had filed with BBB. She said they are going to conduct a review of my case and call me Monday between 2 and 4 with a resolution. Approximately 10 minutes after her call, the dealership called to say the unobtainable part for my truck had shipped and would be here within the next few days. How convenient.

#24 ·
I've had one issue that was warranted at 3200 miles.

The bearing in the steering column started to creak and make noise. They replaced the entire column and for about 2000 it has been quiet but now I'm starting to feel hints of it again in the wheel when cold. Once warmed up it seems to quit.

Second thing is wheel/tires balance. Over 68 on the highway the truck starts to shimmy in one of more of the 6 wheels. Dealer balanced it once and It is no better. From what I heard, they do not have s road force balancer. My local Firestone does and I went to pay myself and get it handled but the bore of the newer wheels is larger then prior and they cannot get it to seat on the balancer snug with their adapters.

Sucks. I need to take it back to the dealer again I guess.

Everything else in the truck is great. Just these two things.

#26 ·
These trucks (LML) at least seem to be really sensitive with tires on the rear. I went thru hell with my 13 and Nitto G2s. And this one seems to be a little bit like it even with the stock tires. Really seems like an unbalance issue. But the only fix for the 13 was to change the tires. But mine new 16 only has 600 miles on it and has the same issue but way less noticeable

#28 ·
Just cracked the 1000 mile mark on our 2016 2500 HD Denali, only issues were the service 4x4 message came on, dealer fixed with cleaning and reconnecting wires; low rear axle fluid, dealer topped off; transmission fluid low one full quart, i topped it off with a cold check, then two hot checks. Ours had the wire chaffing in the engine bay on the ac line and wire chafing above driver's upper control arm, both previously noted in another thread here. No leaks at the onstar antenna or third brake light seals, previous post, but am gonna seal myself before winter. I do smell coolant once in a while but notice no leaks. Great upgrade from our 2012 2500 cummins! Our dealer is not aware of the fast idle upgrade, UI Bulletin # 82a, but otherwise is great.

#29 ·
Sorry to hear about all these problems gents. I'm almost to 1200 miles on '16 2500 and the only issue I've had is my DEF needs refilled. Apparently they don't ship with a full tank. Need to find somewhere around Fort Benning to fill up without forking over my bank account. Other than that I love my DMAX. *side note* can anyone recommend a high quality CAI?

#33 ·
If you take a container to a truck stop you can fill it with DEF for WAY less than if you buy the Blue Def at a parts house or gas station.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.