Should I skip the Fass lift pump, just do a CP3 conversion? - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
11-16 LML Duramax Powertrain Discussion of components that are directly involved in the power production and all that is needed to get and keep the truck moving . Engine , Transmission, Etc.

23Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 11:54 AM Thread Starter

Should I skip the Fass lift pump, just do a CP3 conversion?

I have a new to me 2011 2500 LML 4x4 with 130K miles that's bone stock.

I'm about to start a mild build with: EZ Lynk/PPEI, standard deletes, 4' Flo Pro with a 30" resonator (Twister or FTE) to kill the drone and quiet it down.

I had planned on adding a lift pump, but at my mileage, am I better skipping the $600-750 on a Fass or AirDog and going right to the ~$1800 CP3 conversion?

My logic is this: the lift pump would "help" my aging CP4, but doesn't really do anything for me in a catastrophic failure.

On the flip side, a new CP3 should do a better job "keeping up" with fuel demand, will eliminate my nagging fear of failure, and I may be able to avoid the lift pump altogether. (in which case the CP3 only costs me an extra $1200 net to avoid a $5K repair bill)

I am not planning to run the truck with 200+HP settings (so losing rail pressure is not a huge concern). I want to keep it together as a reliable tow pig and occasional DD.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 12:01 PM
Duramax Forum Supporter

CP4 or CP3, spend the money on the lift pump!!!

2011 BOWTIE LML ECSB SRW 4WD
Leveled, Debadged no moldings, CP3'd
WCFab Motorops Exergy Fass Beans TechAFX S&B HSP AFE Donaldson Kryptonite Cognito Bilstein AMSOIL ISSpro Nitto etc etc etc
post #3 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:16 PM

Garage
You dont need a resonator if you leave the CAT in place and just delete the DPF/ SCR. Sounds just right, no drone

~the Captain

2016 Chevy 2500Hd, PPEI tuned, CAT back exhaust, 2.5" Zone Level Kit, Moto Metal 970 wheels/Nitto Terra Grapler G2's, Custom Cab lights

2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax with EFI Live PPEI, 2" Zone Level Kit, Moto Metal 970 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 305 65r 18 Tires, Tinted LED Tails, Custom interior lighting.

post #4 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:18 PM Thread Starter

If a new stock CP3 is capable of handling 600HP by all accounts, is the lift pump really needed?

A stock CP3 seems to have plenty of "suction", for lack of a better technical term, on pre LML applications.

I understand that the lift pump also provides some additional filtration, but is one really needed for mild 100-150HP tunes? Or is there a cheaper option for air/water filtration?

A good functioning new CP3 system without a lift pump is theoretically simpler and has less chances to fail, airlock, clog right? I've had failures from my "fixes" on other trucks...

Reliability is everything, as I'll be pulling toys far from home whenever I'm using it. I only plan to own the truck for 2-3 years or ~30K miles. At that point, I'll upgrade.

I definitely appreciate all opinions!

2011 Chevy 2500 4x4 CCSB LML 6.6L - stock
2003 Excursion 7.3L 4x4
2003 Hummer H2
post #5 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 01:20 PM Thread Starter

Bigpuddie - Great advice, I hadn't considered it.

So do you just gut part of the factory exhaust then? Can you offer a little more detail?
Bigpuddie likes this.

2011 Chevy 2500 4x4 CCSB LML 6.6L - stock
2003 Excursion 7.3L 4x4
2003 Hummer H2
post #6 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:46 PM
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

At that mileage, I would filter the fuel with a Fass, and wouldn't worry with a CP3 conversion until you need a high pressure injection pump AND injectors, then do it all and be done with it

2006 LBZ 2500 CCSB 2WD
EFI LIVE, DSP5, Edge CTS & EGT probe, PPE airbox mod, AFE hotside pipe, PPE manifolds/uppipes, MBRP DP, MBRP 4" side dumped, Sinister coldside pipe, pcv reroute, Beans sump, Kennedy lift pump, dual filters, coolant bypass filtration, Nuc Motorsports Oil Bypass kit, LML 20s & 265/60R20s, tint, LEDS, some chrome
ALABAMA LBZ Build Thread
post #7 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 02:58 PM
DuramaxForum Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamfandango View Post

So do you just gut part of the factory exhaust then? Can you offer a little more detail?

Flo pro makes a pipe that gets rid of the dpf and bolts to the cat

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Bigpuddie likes this.
post #8 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 03:21 PM

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jamfandango View Post

Basically, you get the DPF pipe, which is about 3 ft long and has a 4 bolt flange on it. You unbolt the DPF where it joins the CAT, and sawzaw about 3 inches behind the DPF, disconnect the sensors that go to the DPF, and remove from DPF exhaust brackets. The new pipe gets bolted up to the CAT and then held in place with a joiner pipe and a stainless band clamp. $230 bucks and about 45 minutes of your time. It's easy.

~the Captain

2016 Chevy 2500Hd, PPEI tuned, CAT back exhaust, 2.5" Zone Level Kit, Moto Metal 970 wheels/Nitto Terra Grapler G2's, Custom Cab lights

2016 Chevy 2500HD Duramax with EFI Live PPEI, 2" Zone Level Kit, Moto Metal 970 wheels, Nitto Terra Grappler G2 305 65r 18 Tires, Tinted LED Tails, Custom interior lighting.
post #9 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 08:21 PM

I have a really low mileage 2011 truck and after doing much reading a CP4 can fail with a lift pump all the same. Providing positive pressure to them does make life easier for them as they do not have to work and suction the fuel and the extra filtration helps but in my mind it is a bandaid which may or may not help with the life of them. No studies have been done proving this as a fact. Although the track record of a CP3 pump is solid and has been proven to be reliable. In my mind if you were to put your money down and was limited I would say get the CP3 alone. Although it becomes increasingly expensive if you are not doing the labour yourself. To me that is where lies the difference. If doing the labour myself I would consider the CP3 replacement which offers peace of mind otherwise go with a lift pump but you will never have that peace of mind. After reading what I did I wouldn't trust it.

I value reliability first and foremost. I am plenty happy with what the truck puts out. When the CP4 fails it takes the injectors with them in many cases and becomes a very expensive repair. I believe the CP3 conversion a true piece of mind. Once you have money for lift pump you do it then but the CP3 conversion to me sounds more preventative and staying on the safe side truly increasing reliability.

Last edited by FishV12; 12-21-2016 at 08:34 PM.
post #10 of 40 (permalink) Old 12-21-2016, 09:48 PM

If you change the fuel filter every other oil change and run a diesel fuel additive, the CP4 should be a reliable pump. In my opinion, the pump is not the problem...it's the fuel grade.
MB_Mike and LML_John like this.

2016 GMC 2500 SLT
Cognito Stage 4 Leveling
EFI Live Tuning
Flo Pro Exhaust
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode