Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Turbo vane actuator vs turbo vane position sensor HELP?

15K views 11 replies 7 participants last post by  dickera 
#1 ·
I have a 2013 with around 60k on it fully deleted, EFI live, exhaust and CIA. At around 50 k in the winter in MI I noticed that sometimes during acceleration the turbo would build psi and not use the boost. Normally during gear shift you see your boost rise through the gear and a shit it drops a little and boost rises again. Mine will continue to rise and not relief until I decelerate then causing turbo bark. I replaced turbo solenoid around 50 k last winter problem was gone this winter symptons started again. Any thoughts? Anyone else have similar problems. Cts 2 shoes position at 80%~ when this occurs. Also cts shoes position change from at idle around 87% and open during accel. And close during decel never have seen 0 or 100 though it gets close any help will be much appreciated

#3 ·
Do you make lots of short trips or drive gently?
The turbo vanes get carboned up.
Oven cleaner works wonders on sticking vanes.

#4 ·
Also helps to use your engine brake regularly

~the Captain

2016 Chevy 2500Hd, PPEI tuned, CAT back exhaust, 2.5" Zone Level Kit, Moto Metal 970 wheels/Nitto Terra Grapler G2's, Custom Cab lights, LED Fogs, Resonator deleted

#7 ·
Did you ever get this solved?

My 2011 just started doing something similar, vanes will close up to about 70% before it starts to build boost, increase to 80-90% and not really use the boost its making. At downshift it drops to like 40% and starts over. During acceleration it only drops to 60-70%. Basically all power seems to be coming from the engine alone. Vanes fully operational, verified with exhaust brake and edge cts.

#9 ·
No I didnt ever get it resolved. I am going to go with the vanes are dirty because this only happens in the winter climates never gives me trouble in the summer. I think the could weather just add another element to making the vanes work harder. I used to be a very conservative driver so it makes sense that the turbo would build carbon on the vanes, but recently I have gotten a fuel card with my job so I ave been driving a bit harder to trying to maintain a little higher egts in hope that it may clean up the vanes a bit and I will be testing again this winter when its cold. Please keep me posted with your issue I am still curious and not 100% sure it is carbon built up on mine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.