Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

P2599 P0234 P2263 Codes

13K views 7 replies 4 participants last post by  chevor 
#1 ·
In an attempt to provide reference material for others who experience issues, I am posting here to provide the backdrop, the codes and reaction of the truck, and the repair.

Towing tandem trailers, running about 80 MPH for 2 hours, truck not doing much downshifting so it was handling the job without fanfare. Running exhaust brake, have fed it a steady diet of Rev-X and Opti Lube since new, bone stock running gear, 32K miles, over kill on fresh fuel/air filters, DEF at 21%. Truck announced going to reduce power and then full on limp mode - 15 MPH in 80 MPH traffic. Lot's of fun. Turned it off. Filled the DEF, started truck and off we go for the remainder of the trip.

Next day at home, engine symbol illuminates, then goes away before I can get to the dealer. Dealer says it threw P2599, P0234, P2263. Says it was a faulty "Turbo Control Solenoid Valve". Truck is back and so far so good.

FWIW.

#2 ·
just had the same issue. i have 130k on mine. I read some notes that the vanes can get stuck.
I also had a turbo over boost issue. I have observed the vane position sticking when on a long pull and egt were up.
Im going to pull the turbo and clean it. see how much is worn.

#3 ·
This makes sense that mine could have had the same issue. I was not handling the pedal with tender gloves that day so it was probably in a high boost for an extended period.

#5 · (Edited)
I just had this happen again on mine at 91k mi. P0234, P2263, P2599 just like the OP. Pulling 13k at WOT up a hill. Engine power reduced, pulled over, cycled the ignition and engine power back to 100% but CEL illuminated. After a few more ignition cycles the CEL went away on its own.

I just took a peek under the hood and saw the cold pipe clamp where it connects to the turbo. I grabbed a 7/16" wrench and tightened it up... was pretty loose. Got the nut down another 1/8" or so. See pic.

Hopefully that was the problem. I'm taking it to the dealer to check everything over and will report back with results. Fingers crossed that loose clamp was the problem. The clamp looks suspiciously new especially considering how dirty that boot is and I've never touched it...

#6 ·
i thrown these codes, and po420, po461, po423, p24AO, on this new to me 2013 with over 500k miles.

Seems like a mixure of either bad, bio, fuel, or fuel additve, diesel clean, this truck doesnt like.

Topped the tank off a few times, not using any addtive and the problems have gone away.

#7 ·
chevor, I always feel good when I hear about your 500k+ mi LML. Those codes you mentioned deal with exhaust sensors however and the ones in this thread are specifically for turbo overboost. I do add 1oz of OptiLube summer formula in each tank to help protect my CP4 and I *did* fill up at a B20 Pilot/FlyingJ before this happened but I'm having a hard time understanding how fuel issues can cause overboost?

What's funny is I called the dealership yesterday to schedule an appointment to bring it in, casually mentioned the code numbers, no response, then I mentioned "and then it went into Reduced Power mode" and the service advisor immediately asked if I had good quality DEF in the tank... seems like most of their "Engine Power Reduced" reports are from customers with DEF issues. Hopefully not a sign of things to come...

#8 · (Edited)
The problem im experincing is do to emmision, the 9th injector is a low pressure, and used to BURN diesel fuel, not combust it.
I seen the truck try to go into regen and roll white smoke for about a minute and then give up. I think the is trying to boost up to ignite the fuel in the exhaust pipe, but while this happen the engine runs normal.

Im watching sensors on this truck with an Edge Insight CTS monitor.
The exhaust normally gets to over 1200 degrees when regen. With bio/additive in take, last time these codes threw, I see egt barely reach 900. And this just the truck not under load. Pulling a trailer the exhaust does get hot enough.

Had a half tank of shit fuel, topping off and running finially got the DPF buring....the truck did a 2 hour DPF burnout. Filled up the truck again and the regen after that it was back running normal.
Buying different fuel and using no additive solved this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.