I decided to start a thread on my work which began the day after I bought the truck from the dealer. This is my 2nd diesel - I had an '07 Cummins 5.9 and modded it heavily, went through 3 trannies, and ended up trading it on a new GMC Sierra gas truck last year for my business.
Anyway, I got this white LML this past September and started with the little stuff - wheels and tires the first day, Banks CAI, Cognito UCA kit with Fox shocks among others.
I have PM'd Don and Ashley and one or two others and a couple of the vendors herewith questions and already I have had tremendous support and guidance, which is probably the underlying reason for these forums in the first place. Don encouraged me to post a thread on my process and I decided that if I could help any forum member in any way by doing so then I'd be happy to do it. So here goes.
The task I am attempting is something I have NEVER done before. I am very mechanically minded, but often bite off more than I can chew and get myself into all kinds of shyte along the way. The toughest thing I have ever done is replace a clutch plate on a 5 spd 1992 Toyota Celica GTS... alone... in my garage. And it ran pretty well for years afterward, so I can turn a ratchet if I need.
But this..? Definitely way beyond me. Especially with no instructions. So, I really need some help.
Please feel free to comment, chip in, donate, criticize, whatever... help, even. I still have lots of questions.
I am giving myself about 6 actual work days to do the work, and its not really "myself" its a diesel guy at a shop I really trust. His name is Jim, and he has worked on many LBZ's extensively, and the odd LMM a little, but never an LML. Did his apprenticeship as a diesel guy with a GM dealership (may not be a good thing
) The owner of the shop has a warmed up LBZ, & is a mate of mine, he did some of the work on my Cummins and maintains much of my business vehicles, and he is happy to have me work with Jim and let Jim get the experience of doing these mods using my truck as the test vehicle. Basically, its a big experiment being conducted by two idiot rookies who could destroy some really expensive gear in a minute. Fun!
So... Here's the game plan:
OUT COMES the exhaust, DPF, DEF tank, down pipe, up pipes, manifolds and about 80lbs of other unnecessary things I gather are not needed...
IN GOES new manifolds up pipes, down pipe, exhaust, Fuel Lift pump, and some other goodies.
In the first 2 days, Jim and I (me part time in between running a job site 8 miles down the road) got through the "OUT COMES..." part, drew blood a few times, and did not break anything we need to re-use. We did come up with questions which hopefully I have answered using Don's thread, but we shall see.
So here goes:
Wheel well liners out... Passenger side shows a clear path, but drivers side reveals a tough task ahead.