Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

2011 delete complete! Wow!

17K views 103 replies 32 participants last post by  arizonaphatz 
#1 ·
Been looking at and wanting to do this for 5 years now. Waited because of warranty worries. With reliability problems increasing it was finally decided.
I could not be happier. Truck is much more fun to drive with a more responsive pedal and it makes bunch of cool sounds!
I am thankful for all of the information available on this forum. I learned a lot from lurking around here and referred to many build threads and write ups to do a complete delete myself.
Will add write ups and pics of my experiences as time allows.
After I calm down and quit giving people rides the actual fuel mileage gains will also be reported.
Thank You Duramaxforum.com and its members.

controlled chaos and
parts deleted/replaced

Attachments

See less See more
#95 ·
I did a 5" straight pipe and 3" down pipe and the truck is much louder than stock but honestly.. I've owned camaros with full exhausts that were louder.

I was leaving a concert earlier this summer and I was next to a f250 that seemed to have some work done. Both our windows were down and he was messing with me..i finally hammered it leaving a red to green light and I couldn't even hear the power joke spooling. I'm pretty sure I scared him shitless.

It's quiet when you need it to be and it sounds like a sonic jet when you want it to.

#5 ·
Welcome to the DPF/regen free club.

#12 ·
A couple minor glitches and Thanks for all the good words!

Thank You Sirs!
Well So far so good.
I did have a small fuel leak from the return line on the lift pump. I pulled the pump down and put hose clamps on all three of the fittings that you just push the hoses on. I did not really like no clamps on there when I followed the directions putting it together.
Also went through and double checked all connections and bolts. found some of the exhaust needed tightened up.
To all the guys who are on the fence, all I can say is DO IT! I am very happy with the deleted truck and look forward to never again seeing any codes related to NOX sensors or DEF tank!
Another reason is the surprising amount of junk being sucked in to these engines. I found some sludge type build up on the turbo intake tube and turbo itself coming from the PCV. With less than 39,000 miles! That and all the EGR crap has to seriously shorten the life of these engines.
Here are a few more pics

Ready to put back together

Attachments

#13 ·
How dirty was the EGR area? I'm planning on doing a PCV re-route and lift pump and holding off until I get closer to the end of the warranty period. I'm hoping without that oil residue from the PCV, the EGR won't and other involved components won't be as caked up with crud.

I know I will be deleting at some point since I am looking to keep this truck for as long as possible.

#14 ·
EGR area dirty?

To me it looks like both systems add entirely too much junk into the engine. The PCV hose enters the turbo intake tube inches from the turbo and that gunk is pumped through intercooler and piping before getting back to the engine. The EGR takes exhaust and directs it right back into the engine. Any where you touch the inside of the EGR system you turn black so I would have to say quite dirty. I went out and took a couple pics to show the soot buildup in the EGR. Hope this helps you with your decisions.

Attachments

#18 ·
Did many searches in the build threads and other forum areas using matching key words to topic of interest.
Here are just a couple I remember.
sdp-lml-egr-delete
Found this guys build thread informative.
JWC's - LML Silverado Thread
I did not find the down pipe to be as difficult as some others did. Removing the exhaust probably helped and I did not remove the DP heat shield.
The up pipe was another story. Some bolts were extremely tight even after PB Blaster was sprayed on.
Yes the process is not exactly easy, it is definitely doable for the average backyard do it yourselfer.

#19 ·
Thank you sir.

No videos yet. I will work on it.

#21 ·
Yes it might! I have a little more than $2700 in all of the delete stuff. I added a few things that are not "must haves" just that I felt were needed. It could be done for less. Or more "adjustments/additions" to the list could be in order. :thumb Glad I can help fuel the fire. :stir

Reactions: St8-e
#22 ·
Check out my how to thread= LML PVC reroute & PVC/Intake Resonator Delete

Check out my how to thread= LML PVC reroute & PVC/Intake Resonator Delete

Here is a link to my first How To write up

https://www.duramaxforum.com/threads/857465/

#23 ·
Congrats ! I know JUST how you feel, I just deleted this last spring and could NOT be happier !! It's not the same truck afterwards right ?!

#27 ·
Update

With three months of being deleted and 1200 miles everything is going good.
The only concern is some things recently read about my choice in tuner. Have no complaints myself at this time.
Seeing no Check Engine Lights and has been wonderful and I am no longer worried that the money spent or my life long love and support of GM was wasted! As is always possible with our loved mechanical contraptions I know something could still happen. Just very happy to be back to enjoying this truck.
My fuel mileage on a trip from Phoenix to Flagstaff and back was around 20 miles to the gallon. Towing my 26 foot Booggie Box Toyhauler at almost 12+ mpg on a recent 400+ mile trip was nice. Most of the time I get much worse because of the fun factor involved with a heavy right foot!
At first I was not so sure the straight pipe was for me (being over 50 years old has changed me some) I do love the looks and questions I get though! My truck looks stock and to me sounds like an angry dragon when I get on it.
Deleting was a thought but not really planned until the reliability came into question. Now that its done and living with it I still say WOW!

Attachments

#28 ·
So I want to delete my truck but wondering if I should wait or not. Truck is a 2013 with 85k on it. And has a 2yr/24k mile extended warranty. Should I wait or go ahead and delete everything?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

#29 ·
To Delete or Not to Delete that is the question

To me it came down to the reliability issues. Here are the biggest questions in my opinion.
1. Have you had to take your truck in for any emissions problems?
2. Do you have to be emissions tested? If so can you register it out of county or do you have some other way to keep registration?
3. There is a third question that can not be easily answered in my opinion. How much damage is the junk that the EGR and PCV systems are causing to the long term life of these engines?
The warranty is valuable and worth keeping to most. Unless you use your truck to earn a living (It seems that most Hot Shot types delete immediately)!
These 3 questions will raise more I am sure. To me they are the most important in the Delete or Not question.
So in the end I feel that I can not say it enough "these are my opinions".
I wish You good luck with your truck and hope this helps.>goodLuck

#31 ·
To me it came down to the reliability issues. Here are the biggest questions in my opinion.
1. Have you had to take your truck in for any emissions problems?
2. Do you have to be emissions tested? If so can you register it out of county or do you have some other way to keep registration?
3. There is a third question that can not be easily answered in my opinion. How much damage is the junk that the EGR and PCV systems are causing to the long term life of these engines?
The warranty is valuable and worth keeping to most. Unless you use your truck to earn a living (It seems that most Hot Shot types delete immediately)!
These 3 questions will raise more I am sure. To me they are the most important in the Delete or Not question.
So in the end I feel that I can not say it enough "these are my opinions".
I wish You good luck with your truck and hope this helps.>goodLuck
No I have not had any emissions problem with the truck yet. On my CTS2 a code popped up one day then went away the next. Said it was something with the dpf but never got a check engine light. In my state there is no emissions testing. I have already rerouted the pcv along the frame rail.

#35 ·
Haha oh I know it's a challenging process!! I have a friend who has probably done atleast 30 full deletes who said he would help me with mine!

#36 ·
It sounds like you will be well prepared when the time comes. I did have a little help from my 20 year old son so I was not completely alone. And of course all of the posts on this forum really gave me most of the information I needed.:laugh:

#37 ·
Yes this forum has helped me out extremely. Just trying to figure out if I should delete now or wait

#39 ·
What all did you do? Just tune and exhaust?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.