Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Fabtech 4in terrible ride, will cognito help?

3K views 9 replies 6 participants last post by  Mr.AK902 
#1 ·
So I have a 2012 2500 with a 4 in Fabtech lift uni ball and 35X12.50/20 wheels and tires. I had to crank the t bars a bit to fit the 35's to keep from rubbing really bad. Bottom line is I have my not so inexpensive duramax and a pretty rough ride. Potholes are rough. I was less than impressed with this kit. My question is, if I go to a cognito 4-6 stage 2, will the ride quality improve? Also will it rub at all running 35X12.5/20 Sota wheels. Will I be able to swap the kits strait across? Or would I be better off downsizing to 33's and decranking the keys? What does this 4-6 mean, is the 6 after you crank the bars?

#2 ·
Not going to touch on all of this, but heres a go at some of it.

The cognito 4-6 means just that, its adjustable between 4 and 6 inches. It will lift your truck 4" with the keys set stock, and can be cranked to 6" with the keys. The further you get away from the original 4" of lift, the worse the ride will get. Cognito makes a good reliable product, expensive, but there are no doubts about their lifts for the most part.

As far as the fabtech goes, it sounds as if your ride quality is coming from the crank on the bars. That and I'm assuming the base shocks fab tech sends out with those kits are sub-par. If your ride is bad now, you won't like the cognito 4-6 cranked all the way up to 6".

Decrank the Fabtech, do a small fender mod to clear the 35's, and look into replacing your existing shocks. You'll be much happier with the ride. If you choose to go the Cognito route and desire the 6" of lift, then get the 6-8 kit rather then the 4-6. This way you're running their kit at it's lowest possible height offering the best ride quality rather then running a kit at its upper limits with everything maxed out and the feeling of lumber wagon

#3 ·
How wide are your wheels?

Most trucks clear a x12 wheel and 35's with 5" of lift and some minor trimming which would be fine on the cognito lift. I personally thing the bars turned up a hair provide a more responsive truck and still rides well. Especially if you throw some money at nice shocks (I prefer Fox 2.0 resis)

#4 ·
Post pics of your cv angles. Factory cv angles give the best ride.

#5 ·
Sounds to me like you need smaller tired but as mentioned post a picture of your CVs

#8 ·
So the Fabtech kit is just bigger spindles, UCA's, and new keys. That's why I was thinking a diff drop with the cognito, but that's cash I can use elsewhere if I can correct it to a decent ride. I couldn't tell you how much they are cranked up unfortunately, it was a long time ago from someone else that did it. But like you said, I can at least start will lowering them a little to see if it improves. I'll have to get it aligned correct?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.