Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Lift pump location

21K views 9 replies 4 participants last post by  moparbill 
#1 ·
I had this in General Discussion but no one replied so I am reposting here....so please help a fellow DMax brother out. :thumb

I would like to install a lift pump (kennedy) in between the Aux fuel filter and the OEM one under the hood. Both fuel filters are under the hood with vacuum gauge coming off the Aux fuel filter.

I want to be able to read vacuum pressure from the aux fuel filter and if I install a pump before the aux fuel filter then it will turn into a pressure gauge and not vacuum gauge. The Vacuum gauge tells me when to replace the fuel filter when it hits 10psi. Already have the gauge run mounted and powered in the cab.

Someone posted that centrifugal pumps should be as close to the tank as possible or is it possible for me to install it under the hood in between the Aux and OEM filters?

Any problem doing it that way?

#2 ·
Emailed John over at Kennedy and asked him what my options are. Will upload his email when I get it.

-Stephen

#3 ·
I had this in General Discussion but no one replied so I am reposting here....so please help a fellow DMax brother out. :thumb

I would like to install a lift pump (kennedy) in between the Aux fuel filter and the OEM one under the hood. Both fuel filters are under the hood with vacuum gauge coming off the Aux fuel filter.

I want to be able to read vacuum pressure from the aux fuel filter and if I install a pump before the aux fuel filter then it will turn into a pressure gauge and not vacuum gauge. The Vacuum gauge tells me when to replace the fuel filter when it hits 10psi. Already have the gauge run mounted and powered in the cab.

Someone posted that centrifugal pumps should be as close to the tank as possible or is it possible for me to install it under the hood in between the Aux and OEM filters?

Any problem doing it that way?

Not a good idea to mount the pump that far forward, there's a reason why it should be back by the fuel tank and that is to have the section of tube with vacuum in it as short as posssible. You will want positive pressure going through ALL of your filters. Over all it's alot easier to push fuel than it is to pull it. If you want to be able to read your system for filter changes then just swap out your gauge for one that has positive pressure (0-15 psi works well although some vacuum gauges even go to low positive psi too).

Here's the install locations you can choose (page 2):
http://www.kennedydiesel.com/docs/BasicLiftPumpInstallation.pdf

#4 ·
Not a good idea to mount the pump that far forward, there's a reason why it should be back by the fuel tank and that is to have the section of tube with vacuum in it as short as posssible. You will want positive pressure going through ALL of your filters. Over all it's alot easier to push fuel than it is to pull it.
Someone should have told GM that before they installed the CP3 then....:cookoo[1]:

Man, I am not to happy.

My truck says "change fuel filter" all the time now and I know it is because of the added Aux filter and it sensing more resistance. Can I use the Vacuum gauge as a pressure gauge? I have the vacuum sensing unit in the cab and I am guessing that will need to be pulled out....what a mess....dammit.

#6 ·
I am running two filters and a lift pump. On mine the Cat came first…then the lift pump (both on the frame rail ahead of the cooler) and then the OEM filter.
I only change the Cat when I feel a change in performance which is noticeable when she is dirty.
Out of curiosity I changed the Cat the other day, it had about 20,000 kms on it. Cut it open and found I had wasted my money by changing it. Could have gone a lot further with it.

#7 ·
That's the reason I installed the setup I have so it would let me know when to change the fuel filter by showing me the vacuum pressure (10psi) change limit.

Here is the setup that I got to let me know when to change fuel filter:
FuPro Diesel Fuel Filtration System

But now that the truck is showing more resistance and throwing the "change fuel filter" dash status I am now in need of a lift pump.

So, I wonder if I can move my Aux fuel filter to the frame rail then do a lift pump after it so that the lift pump is closer to the tank and not under the hood as I had planned.

Thoughts?

#8 · (Edited)
Like this…..The Cat is just ahead of the fuel cooler….

#9 ·
Email from John Kennedy:

The lift pump should be added as close to the tank as possible. Simply shut down my lift pump to check restriction. I find it best to simply check restriction periodically at the OE test port with engine running at idle in park. This gives a nice repeatable result.

Lift pumps near tank to OEM fuel filter and then to Mega filter under air box tray. Best solution

John Kennedy
Kennedy Sales and Service
W3567 26 Rd
Loyal WI 54446
Ph. 715-255-9433
Fax 715-255-9499
john@kennedydiesel.com
Kennedy Diesel

Looks like I got some more work to do on this.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.