Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Redhead Steering gear box

17K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  duramini88 
#1 · (Edited)
I wanted to let my fellow Dmax folks know about Redhead Steering gear box. I have been looking into a new gear box and sent out an email to them. From what I heard, these boxes are one of the best.

Well.....I received an email back about how much they were and wow!!! $296.00 for the box and a $125 core charge (refundable when old is returned). From what I have seen on other prices, this is a smokin' deal and you get one of the best rebuilt/reman'd box for our truck. In stock as of 1/26/2012 and ready to ship.

Other members have paid over $300 for reman boxes from Autozone or Napa, AC Delco reman, etc... with no luck or very limited reliability.

Thought I could help anyone out with some useful info to pass along if you are looking to replace your gear box and go with a quality unit. Heyyaa
(I am not in any way affiliated with this company, just passing along info I researched)

.......if this thread is not within the guidelines or "rules" feel free to delete mods. :eek:

#2 ·
Are you associated at all with this company?

In stock as of 1/26/2012 and ready to ship.
Leads me to believe you are.

#3 ·
Are you associated at all with this company?

Leads me to believe you are.
Nope. I called and received an email from Redhead. They are located in Washington and I am located in California.

I also called Lee Manufacturing, today 01/26/12, about a replacement box and they were about $300 something (don't remember the total amount) plus an $80 core charge. They were about a 2 week lead time. Gal on the phone said they are swamped with orders....I guess that is good news for the company, but not for the customer.

GM Stealership has AC Delco remans for $421, core charge of $80 and 1 day lead time as of today......they also have GM OEM boxes for $626, core charge of $80. The difference of the two would be the AC Delco aftermarket reman and the GM OEM reman?!?

I did a lot of calling around for a gear box. Just wanted to be helpful with some info on gear boxes if anyone is looking for one (give an idea of pricing).

#4 ·
What was wrong with yours that made it go bad? Mine has about a 12 in circle leak on the ground.

#6 ·
My box was binding up when I had new steering parts replaced and also noticed it had slight leaking going on.

My steering was crap and super loose. I had replaced idler/pitman arms, shocks, all ball joints, upgrade tie rods, and wheel bearings. I also added Cognito braces for the idler/pitman arms. I guess the new, tight parts really should off how bad the gear box was.

I called my local stealerships, Redhead, and Lee Manufacturing here in CA. Redhead was the least expensive, but had a REALLY good reputation.

#5 ·
I actually have the redhead it is very nice piece, and they were extremely easy to work with.

#8 ·
Yep mines starting to leak. Looks like ill be getting in touch with them soon.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.