Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Regen; how to tell?

8K views 16 replies 16 participants last post by  BLACK-BOW-TIE 
#1 ·
I have a 2012 duramax an I can't seem to tell when it goes into regen. It had 800 km worth of city driving before I took it on a snowmobile trip that I am currently on. It now has just over 2000 km on it. Does the DIC tell you when it's regening? On that 1200 km highway drive I couldn't tell at all if it regened. I would assume it should've by now.

#4 · (Edited)
The dic won't tell you. The truck overall will not tell you. I've read that you see decreased fuel economy but not sure if you can really tell by monitoring the mpg from dic. Some say it smells different, which I've noticed, but not sure if what I'm smelling is regen or not.

So basically I don't think you can tell unless you have cts.

#6 · (Edited)
no messages, gm does not want you to know ...LOL
but there are some clues like the compass will not work correctly (mine likes to say NW)
elevated idle and a "hot" smelling exhaust

#9 ·
Mine does the same compass thing. I was driving due South and my compass said NW.. I just started to laugh, figured my new truck already had a mind of its own...

Once I noticed the compass being out, I did an instant average while Hwy driving and I had dropped 3 mpg from my normal 18 at 75mph. It stayed low for 10-15 minutes then went back to 18 mpg. I dont know how long I was into the regen, but did notice a big swing in MPG for a short time.

There was no difference in my driving or the conditions, so I definitely think while in regen, its using a bunch of fuel.

#7 ·
The idle will change to a much deeper sound, egts will go up an you will most likely smell it outside the truck. Mine also feels like it pushing a bit when slowing to a stop. There are no messages unless something is wrong like going to far without a regen, bad def etc. On mine the idle sounds like my old LLY did with a tuner on it at idle, lub lub lub best I can describe it.

#8 ·
The idle will be elevated to ~800 rpm to maintain exhaust temps when you stop during a regen. That is the most noticeable symptom. If you don't stop during a regen, you may never notice.

The drive to clean exhaust filter message only shows up if you've driven the vehicle in a manner that prevents a normal regen from taking place (rare).

A regen takes about 30 minutes of driving time above 30 mph to complete. The 30 minutes do not need to be continuous; if you stop during a regen, it will resume the next time you drive your truck. Bottom line: don't worry about it, just enjoy driving your truck.

Sent from my Autoguide iPhone app

#12 ·
It's not in the mirror on my truck. It's in the DIC. The only time I ever needed a compas was last year at a friends house. He lives in a neighborhood with a lot of circular streets that lead to nowhere. I got a little lost that night and looked at the compas knowing I needed to go North. Piece a cake right? Fricken truck went into regen.:rofl

#15 ·
I know that with the 11+s they added a 9 injector that spits raw fuel into the dpf thus cleaning it out. I know onmy dads 2012 Denali HD when it happens it goes from 19 MPG on the highway down to 13 or 14 so that's one way to tell is the MPG

#16 ·
Stay away from the exhaust outlet during regen - I have seen up to 1300 degrees out of the DPF. Before I purchased the Edge CTS I could tell by the drop in mileage, higher revs when coming to a stop and a difference in the exhaust tone.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.