Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

02 duramax wont start

5K views 20 replies 8 participants last post by  Brian Smith 
#1 ·
have an 02 duramax that wont start. tried a new primer pump checked compression good,had rpm on scan tool no codes, sounds like its out of time so pulled front cover and not seeing anything out of wack . put little ether on a rag and still doesnt even try. anyone have any suggestions?

#2 ·
Welcome, any codes?

#3 ·
You getting fuel to your fuel filter .

#6 ·
dont use starter fluid with the dmax. do you have access to a programmer that reads diagnostics? it would be good to know your actual fuel rail pressure to confirm you're getting fuel and how much. you could have a buddy pump the primer while you try to start it. there are quite a few causes for these not starting.

#7 ·
Happened to me a few times
And I just primed the piss putt it and it would start. Sounds like you've tried that thought :/

Sent from my iPhone using Autoguide

#8 ·
sub'd. currently having the same problem as the truck sits in the drive way. it is driving me insane. I know my injectors need replacing but the truck ran that night and then wouldnt start the next morning but it will crank all day long. can a injectors get stuck open or maybe fprv get stuck and cause this?

#9 ·
******* - what is your rail pressure demand and actual. a stuck open injector could cause your starting issue. however if it happens to you when your truck sits overnight, you are likely losing prime, it appears from your sig you do not have a lift pump, so it could be prime. I'm in CT too, and my supply lines are rusted, and i had to replace a part of the 1/2" supply line near the return fuel cooler. I had the exact same issue, crank and crank. i noticed a fuel drip near the tank. fixed that, problem gone.

#10 ·
I know it sounds crazy, but check the bleeder screw on the fuel filter housing. Mine was stripped out and the truck would crank all day with no fire. It was sucking all kinds of air through that screw.

#11 ·
Andy replaced his, so that shouldnt be his issue. ******* - you may want to check that, especially if you've backed it off once or twice. they are plastic and strip REALLY easily. you'll notice it just by priming.

#12 ·
I have been trying like hell to find someone with a scanner to be able to read injector command and rail pressure but haven't found anyone yet and I don't want to have it towed to the dealer cause I live aways from a dealer so it will cost a fortune. I'm going to ordera oring kit for the filterhead before I start replacing to injectors andpossibly the cp3 as well. Also my glow plug light isn't showing up on the dash when I turn the ignition on.

#13 ·
Ya I replaced the bleeder screw with the one from merchant a while back. I did switch to a racor filter bout a week before all this when I use to run wix. Is it possible to collapse a filter on these?

#15 ·
thanks rdsoxx. if i can find a trailer big enough to fit my truck i might take you up on that offer or i'll throw you $50 if you can come out and read those for me if i cant get it running with a new filter and oring kit.

#16 ·
When i got home from work today i looked over the fuel lines and could not find any leaks. the two fuel lines from filter housing are a little cracked at the ends but not really bad. I could also push the primer down with one finger rather easily so im hoping its just the filter and orings.

#18 ·
i tried priming it with the wife was trying to start it and still nothing. Im thinking my problem is to much fuel returning from the injectors and the cp3 cant build up enough pressure for the ecm to fire the injectors. sorry to the op about hi-jacking the thread

#20 ·
My problem ended up being the ECM. I changed out my efi live ECM with my stock one and fixed my problem. What symptoms does the truck have?

#21 ·
well it only fires up with either and it runs fine and as normal when running and has plenty of power but when u turn it off will not start back not even if u prime it. it did throw two codes (poo94 fuel system leak detected-small leak) and (poo87 fuel rail/system pressure-to low) could it be the filter housing ive never rebuilt it, ive had to prime it before, if it sat for a couple days without running, but i can prime it and the button gets hard but as soon as u turn the motor it go's soft is that normal, and i also notice if u pump it up and wait about 5 mins its not as hard to push down... i dont kno whats wrong with, i just hope its not the injectors...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.