Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Trans fluid & filter

4K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  e46_330i 
#1 ·
When should I change my trans filter and how often should a fluid change happen?

#2 ·
Try searching. Different strokes for different folks. Depends on what you use your truck for, how you drive it, etc. I'd do fluid every 15k and spin on then too. Drop the pan every 50k or so.

#3 · (Edited)
If you use the conventional Dex 6 (IMO) drain/change spin on filter every 25K miles.
Most change the spin on filter every 10-15K miles.
Now switch over to Allison Transynd fluid (or an Allison approved TES 295 fluid) & you can go 4 years or 100K miles (whichever comes 1st) for drain intervals.
The internal filter they say no need to change unless the trans is being rebuilt.

I use Allison Transynd fluid & follow the Allison drain intervals (4 years or 100K miles which ever comes 1st.)
I change the spin on filter every 10K miles, & internal filter every 100K miles.

#4 ·
It depends upon both the type used, TES 295 or TES 389 fluid, and the duty cycle. Heavy duty cycle or "severe" as when towing most of the time or hauling heavy loads in hilly terrain or off road use changes TES 389 change interval recommended by Allison from 50k miles to as little as 12k miles or 6 months. General duty cycle with TES 295 fluid and the change interval can be as great as 150k miles or every 48 months.

The OEM fluid and that used by the GM/Chevy dealers is the TES 389 grade fluid and I change the fluid and filter every 25k miles as 50% of the time my truck is used under what qualify as severe use. Once the truck is out of warranty I will switch to a TES 295 fluid and change the fluid every 75k to 100k miles based on test results.

#7 ·
HD Dmax is pretty on the head with what we recommend. In my personal truck I change the spin-on every 15k miles and the fluid (full synthetic) every 50k miles. I do tow heavy quite a bit 20-30 weekends per year. I also change my diffs every 50k miles as well. I run a deep PPE pan on the trans and rear end. Just to clarify The part about 4 years and 100k miles is only after the trans is changed over 100% to synthetic fluids and if you tow heavy (severe service) like I do they recommend shortening that interval. I say if you are towing rv trailers 5-10 times per year think about 75k miles on the fluid change. more than that 50k. We do the internal filter every 100k even though Allison says never unless you need a rebuild. Fluids and filters are cheaper than rebuilds in our opinion.

We sell the Transynd/Amsoil Torque Drive fluids and Allison branded spin-on filters so that is what we use on our personal trucks. We have a package deal that si 2 gals fluid and 1 spin-on for those wanting to start the process in changing over to synthetic fluids such as Transynd or Torque Drive.

Allison Maint Package

#8 ·
thinking about pulling the trigger on this.. just to be ceatin, the spin on is included in the package right?? meaning i do not need to add one from the drop down menu at the bottom of the page??

#10 ·
With the OEM (TES 389 rated) trans fluid with "normal" use the fluid should be changed every 50k miles. With 'severe' use which equates to heavy hauling or towing or offroad use the recommendation by Allison is every 12K miles.

I use by truck 50-60% of the time hauling a 4,000 lb. camper around in the mountains so my trans fluid schedule is for every 25K miles. If I figure 50% at the 12K and 50% at the 50K it comes out to changing the fluid every 31K miles. I choose to play it safe and do it every 25K miles until the truck is out of warranty at which time I will switch to a TES 295 rated fluid and change it every 100k miles.

The ONLY time Allision recommends changing the internal filter is during an overhaul of the transmission.

#11 ·
The ONLY time Allision recommends changing the internal filter is during an overhaul of the transmission.
That is correct however that being said Allison doesn't do ANY warranty work on these transmissions in the gm pick up truck platform GM does it all. I have talked to Allison professionals that told me they would never go more than 100k miles without changing the internal filter based on what they have seen first hand. With an internal filter costing 26.95 its kind of cheap insurance and to schedule the filter change with a fluid change is a prudent thing to do in my opinion but that is just me and the anal side of me wanting to protect my 50k dollar truck for as long as possible. As I always say to people do your research settle on what you are comfortable with and stick to it! :thumb

#12 ·
What have these people seen first hand and do they know if it is not the result of the owners using performance tuning chips that upped the horsepower output from the engines?

A lot of the blown Allisons with the earlier trucks is from people boosting the HP by 150 and the stock transmissions were not built to take it.

#14 ·
They do not equate it to running power or not they equate it to build up internally from old fluid or lack of spin-on changes or both. I would say if you want a definitive answer ask Mike L what he would do in his personal truck and that should tell you what you should do. :thumb

#13 ·
Stay with a 100hp stock trans safe EFI live tune not a junk PPE or Bully dog and you'll be fine. Don't use the 100hp and beat on it daily or stay WOT from 4-5 and it'll be fine. What's worse for it is switching tunes over and over and not letting the trans learn before dogging on it.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#16 ·
Stop posting in every thread and making threads no one can understand. Transynd is the best fluid. You can find that out by using google search.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.