Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

02 LB7 really PI$$!NG me off! No power!

15K views 26 replies 7 participants last post by  beanpole209 
#1 ·
I have an 02 lb7 that I've been trying to fix a lost power issue for a couple weeks and nothing! Well today after messing with it I got mad and run the hell out of it on the way to work and bam it started running PERFECT for about 10 minutes then I stopped at the store and when I came back out and left it had no power once again!

What I've do so far: new fuel filter, cleaned MAF sensor, run the recommended amount of power service in this last tank of fuel and nothing helped. It has newer injectors with good balance rates and a 6 month old cp3. No grey smoke, fuel in oil, or anything out of the ordinary. It has a predator programmer, factory straight pipe, and cold air intake. It's a cheap eBay intake that the original owner put on with a K&N filter i put on it 2 months ago and I've had problems with the filter falling off about 3 times! Do any of y'all have any suggestions? Maybe bad fuel? Dirt or something in the turbo from that cheap pos intake and the filter falling off? It has no cel or codes except p0380 for glow plugs so i don't know which direction to look. I also don't see any fuel or boost leaks and don't understand why when I ran the hell out of it the power came back for a little while.

#2 ·
I am thinking that intake is throwing off the MAF sensor. Or you need to replace the MAF sensor. Running it hard must have spooled the turbo enough, or sucked in enough air to tell the ecm that you need more fuel. That gave you the power back. This is just my theory.

#5 ·
It's an oiled K&N ( I know bad mistake) and my predator can read it. It's between 44 at the lowest and 50 something on idle and I wanna say 150-160 while cruising? I can't exactly remember off the top of my head. I just don't get how it ran fine for 2 months then after 2 weeks of no power I give it hell and it runs like new again for a few minutes then bam back to no power. :help

#6 ·
Man that sucks . Sounds like it would be the MAF sensor. Hopefully that the fixed your problem.

#7 · (Edited)
I'm to the point where I've had about all this acting up crap I can take with this truck and if someone can point me in the right direction and help me find what's wrong with it I have no problem paying you. Whoever helps me find the problem I'll send a tip threw PayPal or just mail you cash! I'm ready to have this thing back to normal and don't wanna have to pay the stealer $100 to find the problem!

#9 ·
If I had the oem intake it would have been on there a long time ago. I bought the truck from a good friend and it had the eBay one on it when he got it so there's no telling where it is. All I did was put the filter on it. Do you know what the MAF rates are supposed to be and yea it does smoke pretty good. It's got 120 tune on it so I'm sure a lot of the smoke is from that

#10 ·
You may wanna check your innercooler tube on the drivers side and see if that has a hole the size of your finger in it. Sometimes it rubs through. It will smoke more and you will lose power. But thats just a possibility. I really think it's your MAF sensor issue.

#11 ·
I wanted to believe that at first but no P0101 code leads me to believe his MAF sensor is reading fine.

My truck reads rougly 40lbs min at idle, sea level. As long as it moves up and down and doesnt flatten out or act strange id look else where IMO.

I think Aaron nailed it. Your next step would be checking your intercoolering tubing/boots. Also completely pull the tuner and put it back to stock. Ive seen some funky things happen with tuners... Also check rail pressure...

#14 ·
Yea it would. I meant factory size straight pipe - 3.5"

#13 ·
I looked at the driver side tube that's bad about wearing a hole in it and don't see anything. The only thing I found is one of the blue boots has a small maybe 1/8 inch crack at the very end and I don't see anyway that it could cause it because the actual tube is under the crack. I looked over the other ones but not in great detail.

#16 ·
During my weeks of searching I ran across this and thought it might be it, but I've had the truck 3 months and my friend had it almost 2 years with the same intake on it so i don't know if that would have anything to do with it

#18 ·
I haven't noticed any lope with the truck. Anyway to check it without a tech II?

#21 ·
I work nights so is there anyway to tell if I have a boost leak with how much psi I'm reading? I'm planning on just pulling the tubes off to get a close look at them and the boots. I don't have a tec II and really don't want to look at the injectors or cp3 but if it is one of them I hope the cp3 is still under warranty! The local Chevrolet dealer put it on a few months ago when the previous owner had it and let's just pray injectors are good. I don't mind the labor but 1800 dollars for something guaranteed to go back out is just stupid

#22 ·
Okay went out to the truck on break and felt the ic tube. It has wear but not all the way threw itfuckfuckfuck !!! I did notice it seems like the rubber ends is soft as shit. Is it supposed to be so easy to wiggle these tubes?!? Seems to me there might be a good chance a rubber boot is tore of somethingHmmMMmm

#23 ·
Alright I hooked the predator up on the way home and when I went to pull a normal hill in 5th that was never a problem before it had no power. It read boost 22 psi, MAF 254 g/a, iat 64, ect 154, outside temp was 54 and the one that got me was 78% engine load! Also the turbo seems a lot louder. Boost leak?

#24 ·
Ok double checked everything and it looks fine. Took programmer off which took forever saying it can't communicate then took it for a spin then checked codes u1000, p0380 for glow plugs, and p1781. Could this p1781 be causing the problems??? If so what do I need to do???

#26 ·
One battery is maybe a 6 months old and the other is 2 weeks old. One of them had a bad cell that showed up when our cold spell hit a couple weeks and I didn't have the money to buy both at the same time like You're suppose to do.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.