Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Higher EGTs with mods?

4K views 26 replies 14 participants last post by  Duramax. 
#1 ·
Aight so my truck will be back running next week and with the new mods in my sig i have a few concerns with my egts. First off I know i have been ghetto and cheap for not doing it right and getting manifolds up pipes and, downpipe :eek: to support the mods but lets face it im not rich and it wasnt a must, until now! All those parts are stock as hell and im worried how hot its gonna be running. I can handle keeping out the throttle until i can get the exhaust flow opened up, but then i thought damn i hope it will be able to DD. I would think you could baby it around town and keep them at a safe level? I guess a downpipe would be the best thing to start with huh? What would be the best thing to get after a dp to get the egts down?

#2 ·
I wouldn't worry about it until you see what the EGTs are running. I am running catless stock exhaust & stock downpipe, EGTs are OK. I would replace the ported MP with LBZ or AFE though.

#4 ·
Yea, I have heard even with it ported it still doesnt give you the flow needed and i can see why. Its tiny. Could you see a egt difference with the lbz mouthpiece?

#6 ·
Manifolds and up pipes wont help egt's on a stock turbo. dont even waste the money.

I wouldnt worry about egt's unless your towing. I have seen 2000* once.
Thats good to know cuz they are pricey thats for sure and i cant afford something like that right now.

Ok good deal well thats one less thing to worry about thanks.

#7 ·
was gonna ask this today pullin my gooseneck i saw egt's of 1100 an psi of 24 for a high all going up hills and 1100 hit once i hit the crest of the hill never stayed long at all (maybe 2 seconds), what does everyone think? towing on robs 60hp tune and cruse set at 61 in 5th.

#9 · (Edited)
Dang thats pretty good. With the tune i had i saw 1650 or so for a few sec when making passes and i thought i was towards the limit but 2000! Damn all i gotta say, is lettr rip tator chip!

#11 ·
I saw around 1800 a few times at the pulls this fall , but they are usually pretty decent just running every day on level 4 or 5

#12 ·
^ stock yes but not tuned i believe (never have gotten a straight answer) ,, and the MOST ive ever seen from robs tunes even my 160hp is 1300ish for a few secs

#13 ·
Uhhhh...the spec is still the same tuned or not tuned. The physical material is still the same. If GM says 1300 sustained is ok, then that's what you can run, period, on stock internals. Yes, people run 13,14,15, even 1600 with no problem. I was just stating what GM says is ok.

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#14 ·
^even with the timing change, pw boost curve etc..?

#15 ·
All of those things help with lowering EGTs yes. It still doesn't matter. Point being, if its 1300 degrees in that cylinder, no matter what combo of mods you have, tuning, etc they are still stock internals. See what I am saying?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

#17 ·
yup exactly why i asked tonight, i have never gotten a straight answer thanks

#16 ·
i saw 1600* probably 100+ times before i had twins..

#21 ·

Gotta love Twins !!

#26 ·
I didnt realize twins brought it down that low! Kinda sells itself in that aspect. Think i might be back to the DIY twins idea if i can get it down around $1800-$2000.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.