Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Which pistons

9K views 38 replies 12 participants last post by  sickdiesel 
#1 ·
Need some opinions here guys. I'm building a new race motor for my white Lbz. R&R rods, Hamilton race cam,pushrods, springs, SoCal dampner, billet flex plate, billet main caps, SoCal girdle, fully done heads, etc. all being built by cam at adrenaline in Shelley Idaho.

I am wanting to go forged but and still gonna drive the truck every now and again on the street to class and to mess around. Cam has a set of mahle forged in colbys truck with 40k plus on them.

Should i do mahle forged, fingers cast or fingers forged?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com App

#7 ·
Looks like the Fingers cast pistons have been holding up pretty well. Mark has some pretty impressive numbers on them so far. If you are going to run enough miles to need to tear it down and re-ring it, then may as well give the cast a go and see how they do.

I know you're shooting for pretty big numbers, but big enough to really need forged?

#8 ·
If I wasnt gonna go over 850-900 then I would give fingers cast a shot but I don't wanna be a test rat for them since I'll be going to 1100+ every now and again. I would hate to go 10k miles and have one crack.

My builder is getting some good mileage from mahle forged. Has over 40k on a set.

#11 ·
Yeah I never heard what kind of numbers you were actually hoping to see. FWIW mark is over 1000 on the cast Fingers pistions. But thats only 1 set too.

I know if it was my motor, I would never have the kind of cash to be any sort of test mule. But so far the Fingers pistons look pretty darn promising!

#12 ·
I feel ya man. It is just hard enough for afford TWO built trucks to be "testing" something. I just don't wanna have to worry anymore than I already will be lol. I'm like a cat on a tin roof when I hear any type of noises lol. Rob says I'm gonna be shitty bricks constantly lol.

If I knew I could get 40k on a set of forged I would 100% do that cuz it'll take me 3 years to do that and I know I'll pull it apart way before that if I turn it up.

I hate decisions lol

#13 ·
Even if the forged lasts you 20k miles, thats a year and a half. You honestly don't hear of many built motors staying in the same single configuration for that long. Seems like everyone who has the money to build em and run em that hard, pulls em apart for a refresh or something more often than that.

#17 ·
Not nearly enough to make you feel confident in them. But ill call my machine shop to see whos they installed ross pistons in...he went about 80k and broke crank...but they said those pistons easily had another 20k left...hard anodized... mine has more clack when cold but once warm shes beastly and smooth

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using AutoGuide App

#18 ·
OEM LBZ

Even if the forged lasts you 20k miles, thats a year and a half. You honestly don't hear of many built motors staying in the same single configuration for that long. Seems like everyone who has the money to build em and run em that hard, pulls em apart for a refresh or something more often than that.
20k is 8 months for me. :D

Honestly, If mine were not a DD/worktruck it would have Arias forged. Jeff Dean & few others have been running them under high abuse for a few years now. Jeff said the rings looked great when he pulled it apart for a checkup and didn't bother replacing them. I think he said its been 3 or 4 years of competitive racing since it was built.

#37 ·
X2

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using AutoGuide.Com Free App

#21 ·
Have you talked to him about it? Seems like he would like to see how they do at 900-1200hp. It would also be hard not to go with a forged since the truck is pretty much a dedicated racer with very limited street miles. It would be a no brainer for me if it was gonna see much DD'ing

#25 ·
Are the MonoTherms released yet Dustin?

Those would be wicked.. No melting, no potential issues with ring lands as the pistons are steel and cracking should be almost impossible, lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.