Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Fuel system losing prime

10K views 74 replies 22 participants last post by  Blackcloud556 
#1 ·
I recently installed a Cat fuel filter & adapter from alligator performance. Since the install, if the truck sits for a few hours, I have to pump the primer on the filter head to get it to start. I'm not leaking any fuel anywhere. Any ideas what could be causing this?

#2 ·
You need to replace the orings in the filter head. Look up the filter head rebuild kit from merchant automotive....

#5 ·
Update - mine seems to be doing better; hasn't acted up for 2 days. Maybe just took longer to purge all the air out of the 2 micron filter?

#8 ·
I just installed the cat filter adapter last weekend and was having the exact same issue with it losing its prime. I ended up putting the stock fuel filter back on (because I don't have time to mess around priming it now) and it has been working flawlessly ever since. So this tells me it can't be the rebuild kit in the filter head. I didn't leave it on long enough to see if it would eventually work. Once I have time I'm going to inspect the orings on the filter adapter and put it back on. I have also read that one other guy had this issue and removing the check ball and spring fixed his problem so I might try this as well. (I don't see any harm in removing it??) if anyone finds a solution to this problem please let me know. As well if I get it figured out ill be sure to post.

#11 ·
I have also read that one other guy had this issue and removing the check ball and spring fixed his problem so I might try this as well. (I don't see any harm in removing it??)
Unfortunately that is a negative. I removed the ball and spring when I installed the ADP adapter, and I still lose prime. I will give the adapter and Cat filter a couple more days to see if it fixes itself but it definitely sucks to have to prime the fuel after the truck sits a few hours. I am just glad I'm not the only one with this issue.

#10 ·
Yeah that makes sense. I just figured after pumping it with the bleed screw open it would be enough. But I'll definitely try pumping it up and leaving it on there for a while. Thanks!

#13 ·
Subscribed.. I'm having the same problem with my adp kit, it's been 4 days of priming to start.

#14 ·
Would filling the filter with fuel before installing it help eliminate this problem? It would make for a messy filter change, though!

#17 ·
would rather not have to buy MORE stuff. just wanted a simple upgrade. not all the extra headaches.

funny thing for me was that it worked normal for about 4 days. then when i went to start it up the morning before driving all the way to Ca it started doing it. now it's doing it ALL the time. Wondering if it's weather related? like it dosnt like the cold?

#18 ·
would rather not have to buy MORE stuff. just wanted a simple upgrade. not all the extra headaches.

funny thing for me was that it worked normal for about 4 days. then when i went to start it up the morning before driving all the way to Ca it started doing it. now it's doing it ALL the time. Wondering if it's weather related? like it dosnt like the cold?

Simple upgrade is usually on oxymoron.

First try running 10-15 oz of winter Diesel Kleen (white bottle) per tank and see if that helps at all.

If not I would seriously look into a lift pump (they help with efficiency even on a bone stock truck).
Kennedy Diesel

#19 ·
funny i can upgrade a simple injector setup on the camaro from 24 pounds to 200 pounds and it works no big deal.

i change a filter and it's a daily battle.

haha funny i'm upgrading the Camaro to a mechanical fuel pump to supply enough meth, but upgrading the truck to a electric pump just to supply start up fuel.

#20 ·
I'm calling alligator today, there's gotta be a solution

#24 ·
Are you guys removing the check ball from the filter head when you do this mod?

#28 ·
I didn't remove mine as instructions said there was no need to do that.

#30 ·
Just got off the phone with alligator, they've been having a bunch of people complaining. I'm not sure on what they're changing. But they're getting new ones in a few weeks and they're gonna ship me one and having me send my old one back when I get it, so I'd just call them, maybe if we bug em enough they'll get on it faster lol

#31 ·
Wow I didn't even see this thread I just started another having the same problem

#32 ·
^^i almost did the same thing lol

#34 ·
Haha kinda feel dumb now starting a second thread Ahwell. We'll I'm also gonna call gator TNT hopefully they can get stuff straightened out with me also seems like a big problem.

#33 ·
Just got off the phone w/them as well- Talk to support and they will get you guys squared away. Gotta love great tech support w/no hassles!!! :thumb

#35 ·
They'll take care of you, their CS is great

#42 ·
They had a bad batch of adapters, apparently their machine shop changed some things without running it by them. ADP is awesome as usual though, and are sending out new adapters when they have them ready, and paying for shipping both ways. So for now, it is back to stock. It is at least an answer for now! :thumb

#43 ·
No doubt gator has good customer service I agree wth that, I spend an hour talking to Jason onfacebook on Sunday trying to figure out the problem, he also told me he was gonna send a new one out when they came in . Just sucks having to go buy a $70 dollar wix filter .

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.