Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

dedicated front tires?

1K views 8 replies 5 participants last post by  bubblebutt 
#1 ·
Ok thinking out loud here....I am currently running 245 75 16 on my dually

The back has plenty of traction, but the front is a little weak. I live in the mountains and set off the abs at least once a week under 20mph. I do pull a 12ft dump trailer (2tons empty) and frequently pull 12K mostly 10 or so miles.....lots of gravel and clay roads. What kind of issues would i get in to with abs 4wd etc by running say an 18in rim with a wider tire on the front. I would leave the rear alone for now due to money constraints...Truck is a work truck with a service body so appearance plays a role but not huge. Thoughts
???

#2 ·
I would think no issue as long as the tire height remains the same. I've seen guys switch out 4 wheels on a dually and run stock steelies on the inside rears to save a buck.

#4 ·
Just keep in mind a wider tire is not necessarily gonna give you better traction. You may just need to switch to something with a bit more meat. If its snow: skinny is better, sand, wide with soft sidewalls, etc . It's really gonna matter where you drive.

#6 ·
ABS: looks for speed difference , very closely so rotating speed of sensors has to stay they same x 4 corners, if it see's a sensor or two turning slower during braking it will think it's skidding and will apply ABS,

4X4 : touch more leaniant butt the bigger the differance = more strain on system...

P.S.>> some sports cars run diff sizes front and rear , but that's preprogrammed into system,

#9 ·
i use 2"

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.