Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

OnStar phone app anyone ?

16K views 76 replies 38 participants last post by  idamainer 
#1 ·
havent found any recent chatter on the onstar app

any new updates making this work better?

im guessing the remote start feature only works if you have a factory remote start option on the truck already?

why is everyone so worried about "big brother" tracking them via Onstar... what can they really be watching and who really cares?

#2 ·
A few Duramax Forum members have downloaded the OnStar app. PM the person on page 3 and ask him/her about it.

"They" can monitor just about anything you can read through the OBD II port, certain things some people would rather keep to themselves.

-status of emissions equipment (deleted or not)
-exact location of vehicle
-speed
-etc., etc., etc.

OnStar CAN come in handy for diagnosing DTCs and CELs if you do not have a code reader handy.

If you aren't concerned with it, put it out of your mind. :thumb

#3 ·
I have the app and i love it. start my truck from where ever i am and lock or unlock it too. its not as intrusive as some think. the app can not track you. onstar can only track you with your expressed permeation. and if you have onstar and the government wants to know where you are the have to get a subpoena to access your tracker same as if they want to track of bug your cell phone unless you are suspected of terrorist activity them your free game per the patriot act. get the app you will love it i use it all the time.

#4 ·
I love the app. I love getting txt an address and sending to my factory in dash nav.

#6 ·
Depends on cell coverage, signal goes from phone to Internet then to the vehicle Through onstar over cell. Also the pin has to be correct as well. I would say if you are lucky 25 seconds, but it does confirm the vehicle is running.

#7 ·
5-10 seconds sometimes less
however the only down side if you do not drive the truck for like 5or 7 days or more the vehicle will go into "hibernation" and your phone will NOT work as well as onstar direct. i locked my keys in my truck this summer on purpose it was not parked at home didn't want to bring my keys with locked with my phone had to go home and get a spare after we got home

#8 ·
It can be a bit of fun to use as well. I got a text from my wife who was at school 15 miles away asking me to start the truck. I used the onstar app on my phone to start the truck so that it was a bit warmed up by the time she got there. Her classmates were quite impressed and called her spoiled :).

#9 ·
Last summer I was out in the middle of Lake Tahoe, CA when the wife was supposed to pick up my truck from the Des Moines, IA airport for a Ziebart appointment. I was able to unlock the truck for her on a boat in the middle of a giant lake. That's pretty damn cool if you ask me!

#10 ·
It works pretty good! Has a slight delay and sometimes it wont update unless the truck is on and you manually refresh it. Other than that I like it, especially the fact that you can setup directions from your phone without talking to someone who can't speak english. Also the remote feature is great for when the key fob is out of range. If they could expand the app to read codes that would be great!

#11 ·
I wonder why that every time I see this app the mpg is the same 15? I have seen 4 or 5 other users phones that show the same mileage? I know that my truck ave mileage is different. My average over the last year is 16.2 mpg.

#15 ·
Mine used to show 16 maybe the average changed because of my lead foot.

#13 ·
do you need the remote start on the truck to be able to start it w/ the app or can you with out

#20 ·
I use mp app to unlock the truck after the damm dog stands on the lock button and locks me out. Other then that I don't use it much. I'm to cheap to pay the extra $100 bucks a year for the onstar maps and directions plan and without it you don't get the mapping feature from your phone. When I had the 6 months free after I bought the truck the mapping from the phone worked great. If I was on the road more I would upgrade though.
Here is my screenshot, not bad milage for a dually though.

#21 · (Edited)
i love this APP!

this past weekend i was trailering my trucks around (put one in storage, and the other at the house) and when i got my fullsize home loaded up on my LML & trailer i had it parked in the street with the keys in it and on, and this app worked great keeping the doors locked in case anyone was going to try and jump in my truck (not a bad neighborhood) but you never know, sat out there while i cleaned a spot out for the truck (blue one in photo). Even if the phone would have died i still had the second spare key and remote in the house, so no biggie!

love it!

View attachment 61951

View attachment 61953

#26 · (Edited)
Ya buddy. You need the app to post from your phone

When you press the home button and sleep button at the same time no matter if ipad or iphone the screen with flash and photo will be saved in your photos. Then with the autoguide app you can login to duramax forum and find this thread and post a picture

Unless you don't have an iPhone? I'm switching to the galaxy note in April. I hate apple

View attachment 62128

#27 ·
UMMM sorry to break up the app talk but i can post pics without it and i have an iphone 5 but i can only post one pic at a time with my post's

#29 ·
I had it also. Used it mainly to show people or in case I thought I forgot to lock the truck and didn't want to get out of bed.

#30 ·
So i dont have the remote start option. But looking to use the app for remote start.

Ive heard that you can get the dealer to unlock thenremote start function without buying the replacement FOB. Any truth to this and anyone had this done and for how much $

#31 ·
Will not work. And won't even give you the the option.

#36 ·
yes you can do that.

#33 ·
So this works regardless of trim package? As long as you have onstar tou can use this app and as long as you have remote start you can start using this app? Do the standard remote times apply? 8min. and then the truck shuts off if you dont unlock and put in key? Can you still add the extra 8min. to the remotoe start like you can using the key fob? Unlimited remote start time?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.