Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

New wheels and new PROBLEM help!!!

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  Baadgoat 
#1 · (Edited)
So I just got my XD hoss wheels and took the truck to the tire shop. I made it very clear to take the tire sensors off the stock wheels and put them in the new KMC wheels because I did not want to see the dash light. Well to my surprise they did not install the sensor and said they would not fit.

I told them you should have stopped and called me and asked if I wanted to proceed with the installation of the wheels. I then asked for the manager who said the XD hoss wheel are not made for sensors and will not work. I told him that’s BS because the other Manager I talked to said worst case is that I need to buy new sensors or adapters to make it work.

So 2 questions…
I thought it was a federal law to have them installed on any tire after a certain year or if the vehicle is equip with them.
Last question, has anyone hear of not being able to use stock sensor in the KMC XD HOSS rims.

I think they forgot and are trying to pass it off that they won’t fit.

I told them they are going to fix for free and they agreed but said they don’t even know what sensor to buy.

See less See more
#2 ·
It is federal law but I left mine out. Yeah you get the dash indicator bUt it doesn't bother me. As far as they won't fit I believe that is crap. Never heard of that.

#3 ·
NHTSA's interpretation of the Motor Vehicle Safety Act prohibits service providers from installing aftermarket tires and wheels on your vehicle without working TPMS sensors.

In some states, vehicle inspection regulations require operating TPMS on every vehicle that came with TPMS as Original Equipment. Check with local law enforcement officials to confirm restrictions in your area.

I dont see how this\/\/\/ Does not fit. the pack is flat, and the valve is the same size as every other wheel, I'm sure

Tell them to call tirerack, and get some real knowledge on what TPMS will fit them if yours won't.

#5 ·
Yeah, I agree. Not sure why they said they did not fit. My factory TPMS sensors fit in my XD801 Crank wheels. I know it is a different wheel, but is still an XD made for a Duramax bolt pattern. Should have the same size valve stem opening and because the pack is flat like above (that is what the factory pack looks like except in black) then it should fit without an issue.

#7 ·
I would bet they broke one or possibly more of the sensors, and tried to get out of replacing them. GM sensors are like $80 a piece, depending on the day of the week you go to the stealership...

Had a tire shop break one of mine once, when I got in the truck, and then went back in to ask why my tpms light was on, they tried to tell me their werent any sensors in the wheels... Soooo the truck just doesnt like my new tires even though it doesnt even know it has tires on it, according to your story???

Found out, the tech broke 2 of them, and wrote it up as not having them and was going to flash the comp thinking i would take it somehwere else when it came back on but forgot......

#8 ·
Good update, went back and talked to the first store manager I spoke with yesterday. I told him what happen and he was pissed. He told the guys in back to stop and fix my truck asap. They installed the stock sensors in the new wheels and all is good now. Store manager said he is going have a good talk with his employee because I was the 3rd person this week to come back because install error with the same employee. Thanks for all the help guys.

#9 ·
Good to hear you got it fixed, this worlds becoming full of LAZY workers! Those douches forgot and were to damn lazy to redo it. To think how many people they have screwed that just took there word for it. I run in to people like that all the time it's hilarious when someone is telling me something I know is pure crap, I just stop them and tell them not to insult my intelligence. Lol

#11 ·
I didn't read everything thats been posted, but I know for a fact that the factory sensors will work with the XD hoss'.. I bought a set from a guy with a '09 and he had his factory sensors in the wheels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.