Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Best brand of internal filter for the Allison??

16K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  SmurfTruck 
#1 ·
I was at the local Allison dealer yesterday and they wouldn't sell me an internal filter without the trans. serial no. Though, they were more than happy to laugh at me as I forked over $120 for 2 spin-on and 2 gallons of Transynd. :rof :mad

I can get a NAPA filter, but I'm not too impressed with their trans filters. Heck, my NAPA spin-on leaks. :mad :fuck

I can also get an ATP, ACDELCO, FRAM, or Hastings, or order an Allison filter online. I'd like to get the trans serviced ASAP though; with all of the other maintenance that hasn't been done in the last 260k, I don't want to think about the last time the trans got any attention. :rof

#3 ·
#10 ·
I guess ATP parts just suck then. That would make the 3rd or 4th part from them that just doesn't work (pretty sure the NAPA filter is an ATP)

I just gave the Allison dealer the part # for the internal filter. Try giving them the part #.

5 speed shallow pan part #29537965
6 speed shallow pan part #29542833
This is what I was hoping to find out. Correct PN should keep the stealership folks happy.

what dealer did you go to? what part of Ohio are you in?
Went to Marietta truck because I thought it was 'local' but its not even in Marietta lol. I would probably have done better to hit one in Reynoldsburg or something....wouldn't have been too much farther.

Edit: Guess it's unanimous then, I'll just get an Allison one. Not surprised really, seeing how much better the Allison spin on is made Vs. aftermarket.

#6 ·
I just gave the Allison dealer the part # for the internal filter. Try giving them the part #.

5 speed shallow pan part #29537965
6 speed shallow pan part #29542833

#9 ·
Is there an internal filter as well as an external spin on? Particularly on my LBZ 6 speed?

#12 ·
Yes.

#13 ·
The guys at truck center in Pataskala said the part number didn't exist. Funny though, I scored a genuine Allison #29537965 on ebay for a whopping $17.

#14 · (Edited)
That is because the 29537965 is the old part number. Allison redesigned the internal filter and the 29542833 is the new part number. Be warned that the new part number will not work in a 5 speed transmission which is why the dealer asked for the vin number on the truck.

We sell the new design filters and the old design filters for the 5 speed shallow pan. We also sell deep pan filters. We sell the genuine Allison filters and Filtran filters. Filtran makes the filters for Allison by the way.

Allison internal filters

Allison Maintenance Package 2 Gallons fluid and an external filter.

#15 ·
update: got ripped on ebay. giant MADE IN CHINA stamp and 'GENERIC REPLACEMENT' markings. genuine ACDelco my arse!

thanks to dane/madjack for shipping me out a filtran filter. now to wait until the temperature hits 5*F so i can put it in. :rofl

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.