2005 Chevrolet Duramax - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2001 - 2007.5 (GMT800) Non Powertrain Discussion of 01 to 07.5 Topics Not related to the Powertrain, interior, suspensions, body,wheels, tires, ect.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-26-2013, 04:07 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

2005 Chevrolet Duramax

Hey guys, was needing some help regarding a truck. I have been looking at a few diesels and I am more familiar with the powerstroke and cummins compared to a duramax. I really was wanting to find a 5.9 cummins, but I came across a mint 2005 duramax that is loaded. Its an 05 125,000 miles, exhaust, lift, rims, and all the good stuff. I was wondering is it a good deal for 19k, and how the LLY 6.6l duramax engine compares to a 5.9 cummins?
Orange&White is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-26-2013, 04:17 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

I just paid 20k for mine about 3 months ago. Same deal as yours but bone stock with 112k. ecsb. fully loaded (leather, sunroof, the whole 9) So far I spent about 5k on tires/wheels/lift ect. The lly's have a little reputation for headgasket issues. I think its hit or miss, depending if the truck was used to tow with or was abused.. I am real happy with my lly though and so are many others.

Is the 5.9 a 12v, vp 24v or commonrail? Like 3 different animals. I'd compare a duramax for a 5.9 commonrail only.

Another thing you gotta think about is the trans setups. The LLY came with 5 speed allison, vs the lbz which was the first year for the 6 speed allisons (06 and newer). I don't know much about the commonrails trans, but I do know they suck. My buddy has 87k on his commonrail and just put a trans in his. Just some more things to take into consideration.

Last edited by Chevytothefloor; 02-26-2013 at 04:23 PM.
Chevytothefloor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 04:44 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Fanatic

That's not a terrible price. I'd try to pay 18 out the door. With it lifted I would check the wheel bearings and other front end components for play. will be pricy if they are all shot

When test driving make sure you get a good WOT run in, if there is any trans slippage or limp the guy has most likely toasted it with abuse on high tuner settings and the big tires

Other than that just crawl under it and check for any leaks

There are a few things you'll wanna do on a LLY such as upgrading the factory turbo mouthpiece and a few small things.

Overall LLY's are badass trucks and if it is clean and well taken care of I think you'll be very happy with it over the dodge

06-07 is the most sought after year, but that doesn't mean the LLY's aren't totally solid trucks. I'd drive one, just got a great deal on current pickup
my "build" thread
Raptor color match thread
ATP Trucks
lddrew is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 05:22 PM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

The Dodge is a 2006 lone star edition, I haven't went to see it yet so I do not know if it is the 24v or 12v but I am sure its the 24v. Also, the same with the transmission, I do not know yet. The miles are about the same on both. I really like the way the Chevrolet sets up though, looks really nice. I just want to make sure I am getting a good dependable truck, also how does the power, MPG, compare to these 2 engines? I am wanting a good sounding, throaty truck and decent MPG. Thank you for the responses
Attached Images

Old 02-26-2013, 05:44 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Heres my 2 cents. Thats a commonrail 24v. I have driven and rode in my buddy's 07' commonrail many times and own an 05 lly so i feel Im a reliable source. I personally like the interior on the dodge better then I do on my chevy. As far as roominess, my extended cab has just about as much room as his crew cab, but then again, your the one driving and not sitting in the back. The trans in the duramax will outlast the trans in the dodge by a longshot, except if its a 6 speed manual, which it probably isn't bc there a little hard to come by. Here are some numbers to compare..

6.6L Duramax LLY Specs
Configuration:
90 degree V8
Displacement:
403 cubic inches, 6.6 liters
Block/head material:
• Cast iron block
• Aluminum cylinder heads
Compression Ratio:
17.5:1 (16.8:1 in 2006)
Bore:
4.06 inches
Stroke:
3.90 inches
Aspiration:
• Garrett variable geometry turbocharger (VGT)
• air to air intercooler.
Valvetrain:
OHV, 4 valves per cylinder
Injection:
• Direct injection
• High pressure Bosch common rail, CP3 injection pump
• 23,000 psi max injection pressure
Oil Capacity:
10 quarts w/filter
Weight:
approx. 835 lbs
Horsepower:
• 310 hp @ 3,000 RPM
• 310 hp @ 3,000 RPM (2006)
Torque:
• 520 lb-ft @ 1,600 RPM
• 605 lb-ft @ 1,600 RPM (2006)
Max. Engine Speed:
3,250 RPM
Emissions Controls:
• Exhaust gas recirculation (EGR)
• Variable geometry turbocharger (VGT)
• Catalytic converter

5.9L Cummins Specs:
Displacement:
359 cubic inches, 5.9 liters
Configuration:
Inline 6 cylinder
Firing Order:
1-5-3-6-2-4
Compression Ratio:
16.3:1, 17.2:1 (high output version)
Bore:
4.02 inches
Stroke:
4.72 inches
Injection:
Direct Injection
• 1998.5 - 2002: Electronically controlled Bosch VP44 rotary injection pump.
• 2003-2007: Bosch high pressure common rail injection.
Aspiration:
Holset turbocharger
Valvetrain:
OHV, 4 valves per cylinder, solid lifter camshaft
Oil Capacity:
12 quarts
Weight:
Approx. 1,150 lbs
*Horsepower:
235 - 325 HP @ 2,900 RPM
*Torque:
460 - 610 lb-ft @ 1,600 RPM
Governed Speed:
3,200 RPM
Years of Operation:
1998.5 - 2007

The dodge has more room under the hood to work and the cummins is easier to work on then the duramax. As far as sound, the duramax sounds way more badass, especially with a stock down pipe IMO.

Test drive both trucks. Its more personal preference. I'd take the duramax and my buddy also wants to sell his cummins for a nbs duramax also.
Old 02-26-2013, 05:50 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Thank you for all the information Chevy! I'm not a guy who will be pulling with it, as I saw they had some bad reputations for overheating, so I am not worried about that with the LLY. I saw where I can get the mouthpiece for the turbo too, do you know how I go about that?
Old 02-26-2013, 05:56 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

That's not a bad price on the Chevy. Like others said, 18k would be a little better. I just bought a truck that is nearly identical other than the color and wheels about a month ago. It had a few more miles, and a few performance mods, but the asking price was very similar to the truck you are looking at.
As far as mpg, it varies. I have a mild tune, 4in exhaust, and the other stuff in my sig, and I can get 18-18.5 if I drive it right. About 17 or a little more when I play around some. I would guess the dodge might get a little better mileage, but not a huge difference. The tires on the Chevy may hurt it some.
Like someone else mentioned, head gaskets front end parts would stuff to look for.

4 inch Diamond Eye
LBZ Mouthpiece
EGR Blocked
PCV Reroute
18in XD wheels
1GMDriver is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 02-26-2013, 06:03 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

My buddy commonrail gets about 17 mpg on 37's but his is efi live tuned. I get about 14 average and my truck is bone stock on 33's. We both drive fairly easy. MPG's can be a large grey area. Everything you do to the truck will effect it, such as exhaust setup, what tunes you choose, tire size, and even how heavy your foot is.

Your going to look for a LBZ mouthpiece. They are less restrictive then the stock lly mouthpiece. AFE sells one, you can get them on xtremediesel's website and im sure many others.. they are around $250 i believe. I think you can get an LBZ mouthpiece for around $70 bucks. Just google search that bc im not sure who sells em. I'm going to get an LBZ mouthpiece once my damn tax check comes
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.