Coolant Leak - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2001 - 2007.5 (GMT800) Non Powertrain Discussion of 01 to 07.5 Topics Not related to the Powertrain, interior, suspensions, body,wheels, tires, ect.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-13-2010, 06:01 AM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Question Coolant Leak

A buddy at work has a coolant leak that seems to be coming from around the oil pan gasket on the drivers side of the engine. He cleaned everything up and can see exactly where it is coming from and swears it is at the pan gasket. Not sure of the model, lb7 I think.

Sounds odd to me but thought I would throw it out there to see if anyone had anything they could offer up.
Advertisement

Old 12-13-2010, 06:08 AM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)

probably coming from the overflow and against the side of the block running down. head gaskets probably pooched pressurizing the system
2004 GMC 2500HD LB7, AFE stage2, edge juice w/ attitude, stock straight pipe with MBRP front pipe and 5 inch tip, cognito UCA's and piman/idler braces and ready lift keys and blocks, 18 inch wheels with 33 inch tires, tinted tailights, custom painted stock headlights and bumper light covers, stock BOSE stereo with 2 10" subs under back seat and pioneer dvd deck
:rockin
cory0383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 06:09 AM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

scratch that you said drivers side haha. gotta learn to read i guess
2004 GMC 2500HD LB7, AFE stage2, edge juice w/ attitude, stock straight pipe with MBRP front pipe and 5 inch tip, cognito UCA's and piman/idler braces and ready lift keys and blocks, 18 inch wheels with 33 inch tires, tinted tailights, custom painted stock headlights and bumper light covers, stock BOSE stereo with 2 10" subs under back seat and pioneer dvd deck
:rockin
cory0383 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 10:03 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Before assuming head gaskets, thoroughly check everything else out. There is a tube going from the back of the water pump back to the oil cooler area. Mine was not leaking but since I was doing injectors, head gaskets, water pump etc., I decided to pull the tube and replace the o ring. Big mistake as when we re-installed the tube, we cut the o ring. We got everything back together, started it up and the water just poured out! We had to pull the water pump and loosen the motor mount to get the new o ring in without cutting it again. Being that the leak appears to be at the pan gasket area, it could very well be this tube/o ring thats leaking.....

Coolant lines across the top of the engine can leak also, with the water running back along the valley and down the back of the head surface. On my leaking head gasket, it was very obvious when under the truck looking up at the rear head mating surface that it was leaking at the mating surface itself and not water coming down the valley.

Head gaskets are a B$tch to do, rule everything else out first!
2001 CC/LB/2wd, Modded stock air box, 4" MagnaFlow exhaust, Replaced at 147K: injectors, head gaskets, water pump, CP3. Mike L Stage III tranny with ML converter and valve body, Aeromotive lift pump, EFI Live by Trent Nell, 285/75/16's on Eagle rims, 6" RCD lift kit with about 3" removed!
5akman is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 12-13-2010, 04:10 PM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

hey 5akman sounds like I have the same issue as you. I have coolant seapage on the back of the drivers side head where the block meets the head. Not bad yet ive been watching it all summer. Does it sound like the same thing as you?
Old 12-13-2010, 04:38 PM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Goodi8650. Exactly! I thoroughly dug around the top of the engine, praying that it was a leaky coolant line or something. No luck, it was confined just to the mating line between the head and block. It was interesting in that I never did have an upper radiator hose that over pressurized or stayed hard like they tend to do. I did have coolant lose from the tank and a whitish tinge to the exhaust.
2001 CC/LB/2wd, Modded stock air box, 4" MagnaFlow exhaust, Replaced at 147K: injectors, head gaskets, water pump, CP3. Mike L Stage III tranny with ML converter and valve body, Aeromotive lift pump, EFI Live by Trent Nell, 285/75/16's on Eagle rims, 6" RCD lift kit with about 3" removed!
Old 12-14-2010, 05:20 PM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

Thank you! Not what I wanted to hear but now I know im not the only one. I had pressure in the cooling system after it sat but it went away when I replaced the reservoir cap. I should have kept my 8.1 gasser!
Old 12-14-2010, 08:02 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

Goodi,
I'd take a diesel any day over a gasser, especially a 8.1! Replace the head gaskets and injectors and you'll have a dependable ride.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.