Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum banner

Loose Tailgate on '01 2500HD

869 views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  SnowDrift 
#1 ·
My tailgate on my '01 has about 1/2" of play at the top, when closed, so it rattles when I go down the road. I thought it was the latch bolts, since the plastic was missing, but that didn't really help. Is there a way to tell if the latches, themselves, are bad? They function properly, but they don't hold tight. I also added the rubber bumpers back on and that didn't help, either.

When the gate is closed and I push the top of the gate toward the cab, it fits perfectly, in terms of body lines, but just doesn't stay there.

At the risk of sounding ignorant, with all the trucks I've ever owned, I have never experienced a problem with any tailgate or latch, so I'm not sure what to even look for in terms of wear. There doesn't seem to be any adjustment in any of the hardware, from what I can tell.

#2 ·
Grab hold of the tailgate. If you have play, its the latches, if it doesn't close flush it's the latch pins (they can be adjusted). Straight forward and simple.

#3 ·
Also the two L shaped bars that the tailgate rests against can be bent toward the tailgate to help with rattling. I bent mine towards the gate and slide some rubber hose on them after adjusting everything, no rattles for 4 years now.

#4 ·
Just to give an update, I believe it was the latches, as mentioned by Passin Thru. I installed new latches, striker bolts and a new handle and it's no longer loose.

Yes, I see there is a small amount of adjustment with the large square hole and the smaller round bolt, but I guess I was expecting a slot or something that looked like it actually belonged there.

Thanks, guys

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.