Extending Remote Start Time - Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum
2007.5 + (GMT 900) Non Powertrain--New Body Style-- Discussion 07.5 - 2010 Topics Not related to the Powertrain, interior, suspensions, body, wheels, tires, ect.

DuramaxForum.com is the premier Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum on the internet. Registered Users do not see the above ads.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2012, 12:45 PM   eBay Motors  #1 (permalink)

Extending Remote Start Time

The 10 minute cut-off time on remote start sucks. Even if i can do it again (i havent gotten it to work a 3rd time yet, i think mine only does 2..) but 20 minutes doesnt even get my truck warm. is there any tune or any way you can extend that time?

EFI Live by Rob. Stock, Heavy Tow, Econ 90, Street 120, Race 150. S&B Intake. 5" MBRP Straight pipe.
3" mbrp downpipe. Blocked, Rerouted, Plugged. Transgo Jr. Edge Insight CTS. And no tread.

My Build Thread
DWDuramax is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-02-2012, 01:02 PM   eBay Motors  #2 (permalink)
DuramaxForum Enthusiast

thats all they do is extend once. i dint think efi can mod the bcm atleast i dont think. one extend and thats it until you cycle your key unless you go aftermarket. but then you probably lose all heated/climate control stuff your truck does.
djm 3/5, sleeves and braces, 5inch straight pipe
cts insight, ad2 165, 1pc shaft, reroute
airbags, bt lockbox

thanks to: Bigdipper, ATP, BT Dieselworks, Blackout Performance

time to beat: 12.60 @ 108
6dot6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-02-2012, 01:05 PM   eBay Motors  #3 (permalink)

With all the added features like turning on auto heated seats, heater, ac and defrosters you would think they would of been smart enough to make the remote start run time adjustable in system settings. The most it will go on factory is 20 min or two remote starts from the threads I have read which like you said will not even come close to warming our trucks. Also if anyone reading this is unaware you can repeat the start sequence prior to the first 10 min start ends, say at 9 min and it will extend for an additional 10 min. If you do this at 5 min it will only extend to 15 so you should wait till 8 or 9. I know non of this answers your question but it's better then just typing sub'd IMO. Hopefully someone figures out a way to bypass or reprogram it.
Installed:Fabtech 6", 20x12 moto metal 962's, 35x13.5x20 procomp extremes, EFI Live w/ DSP5 by Kory Willis, 60,80,100,120,kill, MBRP SS 5" TB, Alligator PCV reroute w/ billet plugs, ProFab EGR delete, ProFab DP, modded up-pipe, alligator Trans lines, demoulded and debadged, color matched handles, large fender mod.

Big thanks to Synthetic motorsports. Kory Willis, buttapollock1010, 07Dirty, RickDLance,
DuckScrubber is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:28 AM   eBay Motors  #4 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgav8r View Post
With all the added features like turning on auto heated seats, heater, ac and defrosters you would think they would of been smart enough to make the remote start run time adjustable in system settings. The most it will go on factory is 20 min or two remote starts from the threads I have read which like you said will not even come close to warming our trucks. Also if anyone reading this is unaware you can repeat the start sequence prior to the first 10 min start ends, say at 9 min and it will extend for an additional 10 min. If you do this at 5 min it will only extend to 15 so you should wait till 8 or 9. I know non of this answers your question but it's better then just typing sub'd IMO. Hopefully someone figures out a way to bypass or reprogram it.
I like this!!! 20 minutes is NOT enuf in -30*C. By repeating do you meant shut it off first or just hit the "start" button again?

shmoky
MODS: EFI Live DSP5 Spade Jack Duramaxtuner by NICK, 33% fuel mileage increase with sport/economy tune(+100HP)Thanx Nick http://duramaxtuner.com/ MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust, PVC Reroute, Edge insight CS with EGT probe, PIAA extreme White Plus High beam & Low beam, AllOn mod, H16(Fog) 6000K 35W, 20"lightbar in bumper & 2 x 3" spot behind grill,, 2x3" spot backup. Amsoil Oil & Filters, Nicktane fuel adapter
FUTURE MODS: EGR Blocker, Transgo Jr.
Sold: 1996 Chevy S-10 EC 2x4 .. 2002 Chevy Silverado EC SB 4x4

Last edited by shmoky; 11-03-2012 at 09:51 AM.
shmoky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 09:36 AM   eBay Motors  #5 (permalink)

Ya 10 min X2 all you get. Maybe somebody should start custom tunes for our BCM's
PPE Hot Race tuner / TransGo Jr. / Pillar gauges
JVC - DVD/Nav system & Back up camera/2500w inverter/ 55w reverse lamps/Amber strobe lights X4 corners
front hidden hitch/rear hitch/turn over ball 5th wheel hitch/custom grille
DRW # 101
bubblebutt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 11:04 AM   eBay Motors  #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgav8r View Post
I just let it quit then restart it and get a 2nd 10 minutes out of it. I misunderstood what you were saying though. I thought if I repeated the start sequence it would give me an EXTRA 10 minutes over the original 20 minutes. But this doesn't happen (I just tried it).

Hopfully someone does figure out how to reporgram or bypass the 2 cycle limit.

shmoky
MODS: EFI Live DSP5 Spade Jack Duramaxtuner by NICK, 33% fuel mileage increase with sport/economy tune(+100HP)Thanx Nick http://duramaxtuner.com/ MBRP Turbo Back Exhaust, PVC Reroute, Edge insight CS with EGT probe, PIAA extreme White Plus High beam & Low beam, AllOn mod, H16(Fog) 6000K 35W, 20"lightbar in bumper & 2 x 3" spot behind grill,, 2x3" spot backup. Amsoil Oil & Filters, Nicktane fuel adapter
FUTURE MODS: EGR Blocker, Transgo Jr.
Sold: 1996 Chevy S-10 EC 2x4 .. 2002 Chevy Silverado EC SB 4x4
shmoky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 AM   eBay Motors  #7 (permalink)

the aftermarket remote starters are capable of turning on everything that the factory ones do and more. Plus, they can be programmed to run from 10 mins up to 60 with unlimited cycles. BUT i agree... who the hell wants to pay for/install an aftermarket one when they already have one. I install the things for a living and i suffer through the factory one every winter...but that might just be me being a cheap lazy prick
4" Cognito lift

2000 Cummins 24 valve eclb
4" turbo back, rebuilt tranny billet TC, 5% all around
needs a lift pump, guages and tuner

DMAXSTORE.COM, Your Duramax Diesel-Only Shopping Resource
deathride is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:04 PM   eBay Motors  #8 (permalink)

shmoky- did you figure it out? The reason for extending it before it shuts down is to reduce fatigue on starter and engine by not letting the motor completely shutdown and then restarting it. The total you will get is 20 min there is no way around it but as deathride said after spending 8 hours in awkward positions putting an aftermarket in my expedition there is no way in HELL I am putting an aftermarket in my truck just to extend the run time. So before the first cycle ends at like 8 or 9 min mark repeat the start sequence on your remote and you will get the additional 10 minutes.
Installed:Fabtech 6", 20x12 moto metal 962's, 35x13.5x20 procomp extremes, EFI Live w/ DSP5 by Kory Willis, 60,80,100,120,kill, MBRP SS 5" TB, Alligator PCV reroute w/ billet plugs, ProFab EGR delete, ProFab DP, modded up-pipe, alligator Trans lines, demoulded and debadged, color matched handles, large fender mod.

Big thanks to Synthetic motorsports. Kory Willis, buttapollock1010, 07Dirty, RickDLance,
Old 11-03-2012, 12:11 PM   eBay Motors  #9 (permalink)

I think with the diesels it's also an issue of the DPF plugging up...idling isn't good for those and the factory remote start was designed with that limitation in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
well you have reduced power..... you fix it by adding more power
Pat H is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 11-03-2012, 12:25 PM   eBay Motors  #10 (permalink)

Agreed. I was letting mine run while I ran in the grocery store, in the morning etc.. and I've gotten the clean exhaust filter 3 x's on one tank of fuel. This DPF has got to go!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Chevy and GMC Duramax Diesel Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
If you do not want to register, fill this field only and the name will be used as user name for your post.
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.